Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
The Baratza Vario Grinder Owner's Thread
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > The Baratza...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 189 of 198 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Wed Apr 17, 2013, 8:28am
Subject: Re: The Baratza Vario Grinder Owner's Thread

RonRon Said:

Hi, all. New member here. I was hoping to get some advise on a problem I encountered. I loosened the 2.5mm screw while attempting to calibrate my Vario. After sliding the screw to where I wanted, I tightened it. However, even though I cannot tighten the screw anymore, it can slide front to back as well as side to side. Did I possibly loosen it too much initially? Any advise would be appreciated. Thank you

Posted April 16, 2013 link

Hi Ron, that adjustment piece can move slightly if it isn't bearing on the end of the lower burr shaft or riding against the cam eccentric on the Macro & Micro attaching shaft. It's designed to have some 'float' in it.
See my posts for additional information & pics.

Here's one: "Re: The Baratza Vario Grinder Owner's Thread" & the pics above it.

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
DBandas

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus IV
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Sat Jun 22, 2013, 6:12am
Subject: Re: The Baratza Vario Grinder Owner's Thread......Uh oh.

I've had my Vario for six weeks.  I decided to do a more thorough cleaning than just Grindz this morning.  I removed the top burr, cleaned it.  I started cleaning the bottom burr with a combination of a brush and my dissection needle.  To get rid of the resulting coffee debris, I turned the grinder upside down and tapped it on a towel I had on the counter.

The entire bottom gear assembly fell out of the grinder.  I can see down into the hole and the socket where this assembly should sit is just a little off-center.  It can be pulled into center easily, but of course not while I'm trying to lower the assembly back in.

I now read that to clean the lower burrs, you just remove the 3 screws, but that seemed complicated.  I'm way past complicated now!  :-)

Have I really screwed up here?  I'm wondering if this is something I can remedy, or if I should just call it a day and send it in for repairs....

Thanks,
David

BREAKING NEWS:  I removed the case, nudged the gear over just a bit with a screwdriver and popped the shaft back into place.  Whew!  I can say without reservation:  my grinder is CLEAN!!!!!!!!!
 View Profile Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Sat Jun 22, 2013, 9:19am

DBandas Said:

BREAKING NEWS:  I removed the case, nudged the gear over just a bit with a screwdriver and popped the shaft back into place.  Whew!  I can say without reservation:  my grinder is CLEAN!!!!!!!!!

Posted June 22, 2013 link

Way to go!!

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
emil3m

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Vario
Posted Sat Jun 22, 2013, 3:32pm

Hi everybody!

First of all, I am stunned at the impeccable level of customer service by Baratza. My problem wasn't a serious one--the micro arm slipping/jumping. But from reading many online forums, I see that they handle serious issues with just as much swiftness and professionalism.

Now to my question. I have tried to find a video tutorial (or any tutorial) on how to install the shims and fix the issue of the "Arms" jumping up and/or down. Apologies if it is somewhere apparent or even on this forum. A link would be appreciated. A link to a dumbed-down tutorial (hopefully a video) would be appreciate even more as I am not very DIY savvy.

I did leave Colin a VM earlier today, but have a sneaking suspicion that his working hours coincide with mine and I can't really speak to him from work.

Thanks in a advance!

EDIT: I feel like an idiot. Found the PDF on their site under Support->Troubleshooting. Talk about looking everywhere but the most obvious of places.
If anyone has any sort of heads-up regarding any of the steps, please let me know. I will be getting to it tomorrow most-likely.

Would you recommend inserting the shims into both levers even if only the micro one is jumping? More "stability" couldn't hurt the macro lever, could it?

Currently in love with Hayes Valley by Blue Bottle--locally roasted next to my house in Brooklyn
eelpout

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Jun 24, 2013, 11:31am
Subject: Re: My new Vario behaving weirdly!

andersschroder Said:

I had to adjust the screw since i could not get the grind fin enough. So i had to break the sticker. Crazy that such an expensive needs calibration out of the box which voids the warranty. Anyway im stuck with it now.

Posted April 14, 2013 link

I have a Vario-W and I too am curious how they decide its calibration point before it goes out the door. I wonder if they use a particular blend of coffee and check for fineness or just eyeball it or... do nothing.

I was shocked how much I had to crank down the calibration screw to get Lavazza Super Crema to grind correctly for 14 grams. And it's still near the limit at a '1D' setting just for that. It wouldn't even get close to being fine enough the way the Vario-W was set out of the box. Maybe the fact that mine was a refurb has something to do with it.

I have to believe though that Baratza has thought about this a bit and figured that anyone that is going to drop $300+ on a grinder probably is interested enough in the process to learn how to calibrate it.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Posted Mon Jun 24, 2013, 2:34pm

eelpout Said:

I was shocked how much I had to crank down the calibration screw to get Lavazza Super Crema to grind correctly for 14 grams. And it's still near the limit at a '1D' setting just for that. It wouldn't even get close to being fine enough the way the Vario-W was set out of the box. Maybe the fact that mine was a refurb has something to do with it.

I have to believe though that Baratza has thought about this a bit and figured that anyone that is going to drop $300+ on a grinder probably is interested enough in the process to learn how to calibrate it.

Posted June 24, 2013 link

Truthfully, canned roasted beans that might be 6 months old or older is NOT what you want to use as a "benchmark" to calibrate your grinder.
Obviously, calibrate the Vario while EMPTY first, using the instructions as regards listening to the motor hum change pitch, etc.
See if you can get some locally roasted beans less than 2 weeks old.

If you insist on using the LaVazza, just know that you will not get great results, regardless of WHAT grinder/machine combination you own.
Great espresso starts with FRESHLY roasted coffee, 3-4 days post roast to about 14 days post roast date.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
www.robertjason.com
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Mon Jun 24, 2013, 2:57pm

eelpout Said:

I have a Vario-W and I too am curious how they decide its calibration point before it goes out the door. I wonder if they use a particular blend of coffee and check for fineness or just eyeball it or... do nothing.

LaVazza is a waste, paying $$$$ for stale beans. The nitro packing only works for like a day, so yeh months down the road when you 1st open it up the results can be "ok", not good, but ok. Then quickly fall off a cliff as nitro packed beans seem to accelerate staling way faster then normal.
DBandas

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus IV
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Mon Jun 24, 2013, 5:01pm

They sent me two shims, so I used one for each arm and it's works really well.  Mine weren't slipping, but I mentioned on the phone that I wish the "click" was more distinct and here they came.

They have amazing, impeccable service.  When I accidentally dis-assembed my Vario on Saturday, Kyle was on an excursion in the wine country but replied to my email and sent along his cell phone number in case I got "stuck."  

David
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Posted Mon Jun 24, 2013, 5:11pm

DBandas Said:

They sent me two shims, so I used one for each arm and it's works really well.  Mine weren't slipping, but I mentioned on the phone that I wish the "click" was more distinct and here they came.

They have amazing, impeccable service.  When I accidentally dis-assembed my Vario on Saturday, Kyle was on an excursion in the wine country but replied to my email and sent along his cell phone number in case I got "stuck."  

David

As a VERY early Baratza customer, I can testify their CS has been tops from the beginning.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
www.robertjason.com
eelpout

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Jun 25, 2013, 11:28am

IMAWriter Said:

Truthfully, canned roasted beans that might be 6 months old or older is NOT what you want to use as a "benchmark" to calibrate your grinder.

CMIN Said:

LaVazza is a waste, paying $$$$ for stale beans. The nitro packing only works for like a day, so yeh months down the road when you 1st open it up the results can be "ok", not good, but ok. Then quickly fall off a cliff as nitro packed beans seem to accelerate staling way faster then normal.

This being CG, naturally I get slammed for bean selection. ;)

When I first had to do calibration on the Vario, it was based on fresh Red Bird and Black Cat and I went by their grind and the motor sound. Does that help? :)
showing page 189 of 198 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > The Baratza...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.415326833725)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+