Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
The Baratza Vario Grinder Owner's Thread
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > The Baratza...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 175 of 198 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
ohills

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Rocket Giotto Evoluzione V2
Grinder: Vario
Posted Fri Dec 21, 2012, 3:23pm
Subject: Re: The Baratza Vario Grinder Owner's Thread

Hi all... I've had my vario for three weeks now and it's been great.  Today I did my first cleaning by removing the upper burr, and vacuuming it out.  It wasn't that bad only have run 2.5 lbs through.  My setting has been 3m to 3s. I tried to recalibrate using the 2mm wrench.  Slid the macro and micro sliders all the way to the bottom (no beans)  then macro up .  No sound change till I hit two.  More of a labored sound at one.  Went back to three and moved micro up about half way and it sounded to labor..  Is this ok ?  I'm just going to run at macro 3 instead of many people running at 2 or one.  Pairing with the Rocket Giotto Evoluzione V2.  A great pair!
Thanks,
Roy
 View Profile Link to this post
jjsaustin

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Fri Dec 21, 2012, 4:39pm

ohills Said:

Hi all... I've had my vario for three weeks now and it's been great.  Today I did my first cleaning by removing the upper burr, and vacuuming it out.  It wasn't that bad only have run 2.5 lbs through.  My setting has been 3m to 3s. I tried to recalibrate using the 2mm wrench.  Slid the macro and micro sliders all the way to the bottom (no beans)  then macro up .  No sound change till I hit two.  More of a labored sound at one.  Went back to three and moved micro up about half way and it sounded to labor..  Is this ok ?  I'm just going to run at macro 3 instead of many people running at 2 or one.  Pairing with the Rocket Giotto Evoluzione V2.  A great pair!
Thanks,
Roy

Posted December 21, 2012 link

I received my Vario about a week ago and have it paired with a Duetto. I also have my setting around 3M. I thought that seemed a bit high. but maybe they re-centered the grind settings on the newer versions.
myallawala
myallawala
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Mazzer Major & Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Yama Burner
Drip: Hario V60 & Chemex
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Dec 25, 2012, 4:21pm

I've owned my Vario since July and it's simply been a pleasure. I used a Black and Decker CMB210->Hario Slim->Krups GX610050->Breville Barista Express (Onboard grinder)->Baratza Vario. Didn't quite realize what a leap I'd experience by upgrading to the Vario but it's been incredible to say the least. Not only is it suited to my CC1 but the anti-static nature, portaholder, triple presets, and microadjusting have proven how well it was thought out. I had my grinder bust on me in October (three months in to owning) and contacted Baratza. I had it replaced without any headaches or costs on my end. I'm happily grinding away months later. I nearly purchased a Mazzer Mini but figured size would be too big and issue and I was right. The Vario is pushing the limits but it's just right!

Cheers to Baratza!
nomad_hatter

Posted Wed Dec 26, 2012, 12:38am

I realize this is the Vario owner's thread, and admit that I don't own a Vario (yet) but I figured that you all would be the best pool of knowledge (and by posting here I wouldn't clutter the board).  I'm in the process of buying my first grinder and have the opportunity to buy a used Vario for the same price as a new Preciso.  Since this will be my first grinder, I'm not sure what sort of telltale signs of misuse I should be looking for.  I've been flip flopping between the two models and have been having a hard time justifying the $150 price difference - the Vario has more conveniences than the Preciso, but from what I've read they're pretty closely matched.

So, that said, I have two questions:

1)  Would you recommend the used Vario or the new Preciso, taking into account that the machine will only be used for espresso and that the used Vario is no longer under warranty.

2)  If I go with the used Vario, what should I look out for before buying it?

Thanks for your help, and I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas/happy holiday.
dagoat

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Pavoni Europiccola, BDB...
Grinder: baratza vario
Vac Pot: aeropress
Drip: manual
Roaster: cafe rosto
Posted Wed Dec 26, 2012, 12:17pm

nomad_hatter Said:

II've been flip flopping between the two models and have been having a hard time justifying the $150 price difference - the Vario has more conveniences than the Preciso, but from what I've read they're pretty closely matched.

Posted December 26, 2012 link

i have a vario and love it to death.  i have not a single problem with it and don't see replacing it with anything but a titan, if ever.  but i do NOT use the convenience features. at. all.  IMHO, it's single best feature is it's near-zero grind retention, so i single dose.  if it is really true that the preciso grinds as well as the vario and the only difference is the convenience features, i would get the preciso too.  in fact, i'm tentatively starting to shop for a second grinder, (for the vacation house), and if the preciso is as good at espresso as the vario, i'll get one.  espresso is my main thing.  i couldn't care less about drip and press.

do you have any links that compare the grind results of the precisio to those of the vario?

-peter
myallawala
myallawala

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Mazzer Major & Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Yama Burner
Drip: Hario V60 & Chemex
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Dec 26, 2012, 12:34pm

I believe I read somewhere that because the Vario has flat burrs that it is superior for espresso to the Preciso which reigns king for french press or drip.

The vario also has features more conducive to espresso so it makes it a pleasure to use with a portafilter.
Tert

Posted Sun Dec 30, 2012, 4:08am

mrelephant Said:

Dummies, proceed with caution!
On my 2 month old (Great Britain) Vario, there is a warranty void sticker disguising the hole for the adjustment screw. So at first I assumed the adjustment screw must have been under the rubber cap just behind it. There is indeed another hex screw in there which is 2.5mm and wound tight. So in my stubbornness, the hex hole in this screw is now burred because I tried to force tighten it further :P  Fortunately though, I didn't seem to damage the function of the machine.

It was only after referring to this seattle coffee video that I figured out my mistake. It also made be a bit miffed that the US model seems to actually come (or came) with a fancy adjustment allen key and obviously no warranty void warning, so I took a chance and removed the warranty void sticker on mine, rather than drive across town for my service centre to turn a screw. Let's just hope my stubbornness doesn't slap me in the face one more time here :P

BTW, she's now grinding rather nice :)

Posted October 3, 2012 link

I just received the Vario W, German made, and failed to grind fine enough for espresso. A closer look reveiled that is has STEEL and not ceramic burrs, and the manual says: "The steel burrs are specially designed for filter coffee grinding" and "The Vario-W is exclusively designed for filter coffee grinding and is not capable of producing espresso-fine grounds!"
There is a sticker covering the calibration screw with a warranty void warning, and no allen key comes with the kit.

Does it mean that it is impossible to calibrate the grinder in order to make finer coffee?
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Sun Dec 30, 2012, 10:54am

Tert Said:

I just received the Vario W, German made, and failed to grind fine enough for espresso. A closer look reveiled that is has STEEL and not ceramic burrs, and the manual says: "The steel burrs are specially designed for filter coffee grinding" and "The Vario-W is exclusively designed for filter coffee grinding and is not capable of producing espresso-fine grounds!"
There is a sticker covering the calibration screw with a warranty void warning, and no allen key comes with the kit.

Does it mean that it is impossible to calibrate the grinder in order to make finer coffee?

Posted December 30, 2012 link

Tert, welcome to CG.
This seems to be an issue in some areas of Europe. Apparently, it's getting harder to find the ceramic burr manufactured Vario/Vario W.
I believe I/we need to let Kyle, president of Baratza explain what's going on. In fact, this issue popped up a few weeks ago, either on this thread, or another.

Lets give him a day or 2 after New Years?

BTW, a most happy  forthcoming New Year to All CG'ers!!

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CoffeeRon
CoffeeRon

Espresso: Wega Lyra, Europiccola(still...
Grinder: Macap M7D, Pharos, Vario W,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam CoffeeMaster
Drip: Melita BCM-4
Roaster: FR SR500,B-1600, SC/TO
Posted Sun Dec 30, 2012, 11:07am

I just happened to watch a video this weekend, made by Baratza, on changing the Vario burrs. It seems the steel burrs are recomended over the ceramic for courser grinds, and the video was about switching from ceramic to steel. It would seem then that if you have one with steel burrs and want to switch to ceramic for espresso it shouldn't be a problem. That's just my view of the situation of course, as Rob said it would be good to hear from Kyle/Baratza on this.
BLrdFX
BLrdFX

Espresso: L-I
Grinder: HG-One, Kony-E, VL, Lido2
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Quest
Posted Sun Dec 30, 2012, 11:07am

IMAWriter Said:

Tert, welcome to CG.
This seems to be an issue in some areas of Europe. Apparently, it's getting harder to find the ceramic burr manufactured Vario/Vario W.
I believe I/we need to let Kyle, president of Baratza explain what's going on. In fact, this issue popped up a few weeks ago, either on this thread, or another.

Lets give him a day or 2 after New Years?

BTW, a most happy  forthcoming New Year to All CG'ers!!

Posted December 30, 2012 link

So what Baratza seems to be saying is that the ceramic burrs do no do so well with the courser grinds?

I too am pretty curious about the burr issue, and to second you thoughts, HAPPY NEW YEAR!!
showing page 175 of 198 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > The Baratza...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.415764093399)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+