Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Gaggia MDF: successful doser-amputation ;)
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Gaggia MDF:...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
ferrum

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Dalla Corte Mini (Carbon...
Grinder: Fiorenzata HZ50
Posted Sun Dec 9, 2007, 11:32am
Subject: Gaggia MDF: successful doser-amputation ;)

My last post in this forums concerned with modding the GAGGIA MDF grinder to become doserless.

The grinder itself does it's job,... but I found the doser to be close to a complete joke, being unprecise, being not "centered" with it's large output orifice... also  coffee leftover stuck everywhere inside making cleaning a very very frequent job...

as I've just acquierd a new coffee machine and a good ammount of beans, my coffee-budget for this year is already "gone"... so a new grinder is at the moment not an option... (will get a better one  somewhen next year....).

thus I decided to bring my gaggia to my shop (machine-shop) and have some major surgery perfomed ;)

the result?
some may call it a waste of good materials ;)    6Al4V Titanium sheet (it was a badly scratched (one side) leftover... so not much other use...)...
V4A Stainless steel tubing... some Stianless M3 Torx Screws... some pieces of steel... a bit of modern hi-tech thermo-plastics and a bit of black spray paint...  some hard rubber-sheet (I attached new "foots" to it... with a non slip, vibration damping rubber sheet... it now is quite "silent" compared to before)

basically 2 to 3 hours of work.  I'm quite pleased with the results.  it works really well...

Work Steps:
- complete disassembly
- sawing off the front piece where the doser would have been sitting
- cutting the portafilter rest of
- grinding parts flush
- squaring up a piece of stainless tube to match the exit orifice of the grinderunit
- machining of two tiny fixtures with an internal M3 thread....  
- bolting the fixtures to the side of the grinders "exit"-port
- milling two lashes from steel pieces and welding these to the stainless tube...  the slotted lashes help with aligning the unit
- cutting the overlength of the original rubber gasket to fit the new tube
- polishing the tube
- forming a thermoplastic to act as an outer gasket of the tube
- cutting the Titanium sheet and machining an oversized hole (so it can be easily adjusted)... the grinder's exit isn't centered and points slightly to the left... not much can be done about that so one needs to compensate otherwise
- suface fine-grinding of the TI-sheet
- using a special strong-bonding hot glue and a hot glue gun to glue the different parts together
- using polyester-kit (hardening type) tol fill some gaps
- molding a plastic cover for the top-edge of the TI-sheet
- sand the worked surfaces flat and smooth again
- cover parts not to  be spray painted with masking tape
- spray the stuff
- reassemble everything and test run - successfull
- glue rubber-sheet to base

ferrum: gaggia_mdf_mod1.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
fifthgen

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Isomac Zaffiro, Astoria CKX
Grinder: Maz. Major, Casadio, Isomac...
Drip: Capresso st600 chemex,
Roaster: Karma Coffee, Black Cat...
Posted Wed Dec 19, 2007, 9:21pm
Subject: Re: Gaggia MDF: successful doser-amputation ;)

Somebocy should say cool mod, and thanks for posting it.  So I will! (Since I'm thinking that.)

Good coffee to you and your guests
 View Profile Link to this post
Jeff_K
Jeff_K
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: LaCimbali Junior D/1,...
Grinder: LaCimbali Junior, Rio...
Drip: Presto Scandinavian, Bodum...
Roaster: Hottop KN8828, Kitchen...
Posted Wed Dec 19, 2007, 9:37pm

Another possibility is a sort of doser bypass, where you create a tube or enclosed "slide" from the burr area down to the opening in the doser's bottom.  This one is pretty cool but looks like it took a good deal of work and special machinery.  Nice job.
bbuhlman
bbuhlman
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Krups XP604050
Grinder: Breville BCG800XL
Drip: Krups XP604050
Posted Fri Jan 4, 2013, 1:16pm

Old thread I know  but I've recently acquired an MDF with a broken impeller (doser) and would like to try your mod. I have been thinking about the manifold or piece that connects from the square burr exhaust area (sorry for automotive nomenclature- old mechanic) to the round tubing output....what does this square to round manifold look like? What did you make it out of?  How did you fasten it to the square opening on the grinder?

I know many questions but I want to save myself work if I can..

Thanks a bunch,
Bill
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Gaggia MDF:...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.213256835938)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+