Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
The Baratza Vario Grinder Owner's Thread
Saeco Espresso Machines
Large selection in-stock, includes Free Gifts and Free Shipping!
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > The Baratza...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 178 of 197 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, Preciso/Esatto, KyM...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Fri Jan 11, 2013, 8:49pm
Subject: Re: The Baratza Vario Grinder Owner's Thread

Rob, when you cleaned the grinder, I assume that underneath the bottom burr was totally clean.
Did you hear the upper burr "snap" into place. Mine is usually a 2 snap proposition.
I'm thinking the upper burr may not be seated properly.
Interesting you say "spray" around the grinder. Before I got my Vario W, I had a regular (USA Baratza) Vario, with which I dosed directly into my PF. No spray, and my baskets are only 49mm.
HMMM...by any chance are the burrs of your grinder METALLIC, rather than the ceramic burr set?

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
ethom

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: NS Oscar, Silvia broken :o(
Grinder: Vario
Drip: Bosch
Posted Fri Jan 11, 2013, 11:28pm

IMAWriter Said:

We just like to encourage members to seek out a solution with the manufacturer/vendor BEFORE venting publicly.

Posted January 11, 2013 link

Thanks for the gentle nudge toward civility.

IMAWriter Said:

I'm sure all will be resolved as quickly as possible. it sounds like perhaps your purchase coincided with the extended holiday season?
If so, things are probably less crazy now, and you should get the prompt attention you deserve, and what Baratza has demonstrated in the past.
Keep us posted.

Order was placed the week after Thanksgiving.  They may have been employing temporary, inexperienced help or just trying to keep up.

As everyone has said, Baratza stepped up to the plate and hit a homer in my book. They comisserated with my situation and offered to replace the defective refurb with a brand new Vario. I can't think of a more gracious resolution and one that will alleviate any fear of further issues with this or another refurb unit.  Way to go Baratza.  Can't wait for it to arrive!

Thanks again for the guidance everyone. This is a most worthwhile and enjoyable community.

Tom...
 View Profile Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Posted Fri Jan 11, 2013, 11:45pm

ethom Said:

Thanks for the gentle nudge toward civility.

Order was placed the week after Thanksgiving.  They may have been employing temporary, inexperienced help or just trying to keep up.

As everyone has said, Baratza stepped up to the plate and hit a homer in my book. They comisserated with my situation and offered to replace the defective refurb with a brand new Vario. I can't think of a more gracious resolution and one that will alleviate any fear of further issues with this or another refurb unit.  Way to go Baratza.  Can't wait for it to arrive!

Thanks again for the guidance everyone. This is a most worthwhile and enjoyable community.

Tom...

Tom, you hit a homer in MY ballpark. I learn something here and elsewhere every day, even at my somewhat advanced age. (Pay no attention to the Avatar, I JOINED CG using that pix! :>D

Keep us posted on the new grinder, and if this thread is too daunting (copious pages), feel free to PM me, or just post here. Repeat questions are part of the gig, no worries.

The manual will answer many questions. I'm sure you know, but I'll repeat here that it is always best to run the grinder when adjusting FINER, when there are beans in  the hopper.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
www.robertjason.com
des16

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat Jan 12, 2013, 5:43am

I am trying to clean the burrs on my Vario-W. I rotate the metal burr carrier, but, cannot life the grinder housing. Any suggestions?
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Posted Sat Jan 12, 2013, 10:14am

You need to get Baratza's upper burr tool that makes lifting out the upper burr a breeze.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
www.robertjason.com
des16

Posted Sat Jan 12, 2013, 10:29am

IMAWriter Said:

You need to get Baratza's upper burr tool that makes lifting out the upper burr a breeze.

Posted January 12, 2013 link

Is that is different from the tool that comes with the machine to rotate the burr carrier? if so, where do I get it?
ethom

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: NS Oscar, Silvia broken :o(
Grinder: Vario
Drip: Bosch
Posted Sat Jan 12, 2013, 10:50am

IMAWriter Said:

The manual will answer many questions. I'm sure you know, but I'll repeat here that it is always best to run the grinder when adjusting FINER, when there are beans in the hopper.

Yes, I've read the warnings to adjust toward finer only with the machine running.  It does take some getting used to and is a good reminder.  

I was weighing each dose before grinding, leaving the hopper and burrs empty between each use.  That practice seemed to make it easier to remember to adjust while running for some reason.  The plan was to weigh doses until I got comfortable with dosage based on time.  Part of what made the Vario attractive was its low grounds retention.  

It's ironic then, that some large percentage of grounds was actually staying inside the machine body because of the missing internal chute.  Looking at the inside, first grounds must have almost all stayed inside and only after a good mound formed on top of the outlet plate did they start falling out through the ½ inch opening.  Of course, there was the spray blasted straight from the burrs and some of that surely made its way out too.   After seeing what’s been happening inside, I now understand why the portafilter fork turned out to be useless for me.  The grounds spray across the counter was huge!  But I’ve been counseled from the community that “coffee is messy business” and settled for the grounds bin.

I must admit that I tasted, and even drank, shots from the grounds residue emptied from the body interior.  Surely being quite stale, it tasted better than I expected and gave me some more shot pulling practice.  I’ve pulled two doubles and still have at least another double’s worth.  The rest I’ll leave inside for the Baratza team to examine.

I'm anxious to see how the new Vario works.  Dosage will have to be recalibrated but it'll be fun.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Posted Sat Jan 12, 2013, 1:40pm

LOL, Tom. I've heard of "desperation coffee"...aka Charbies at the airport, but you've gone where no man has gone before, I'd wager. :>D
CraigA is prolly the hippest here as regards the internals of all things Baratza, and perhaps the Behmor 1600 as well.He spotted the issue. Even with good eyes, I prolly would have missed it anyway.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
www.robertjason.com
bglenden

Posted Sat Jan 12, 2013, 8:47pm

Hi -

I have a Vario that my wife and I have been using happily for 6 months for espresso. It adjust well in the espresso range (e.g., from gusher to choker), with a typical setting at around 3P. I did not calibrate it initially. The calibration screw seemed very tight - the tool was flexing, and I didn't want to break anything and since it was making good coffee it didn't seem necessary.

I got one of the new Espro French presses for Christmas. When I tried to adjust for it, even with both levers all the way at coarse, the coffee is barely coarser than espresso grind (it's visually indistinguishable). If anyone wants to know if you can choke an Espro, you can :-)

Any ideas? (I have have a similar request in to Baratza CS, but I imagine they are swamped from Christmas still).

Cheers,
Brian
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Posted Sat Jan 12, 2013, 9:56pm

Yes.
You will need to first clean the grinder. Remove the lower burr as well, making sure there is no grinds directly underneath. Replace both burrs, making sure not to over tighten the 3 screws on the lower burr.
Make sure the upper burr snaps in audibly.
Move both levers up and down, just to make sure they work smoothly.
Reattach the hopper.

Now grab your 2mm supplied adjustment tool, and perform the calibration. remember to START the motor, both levers MUST be down to their lowest position.

Truly, on average, your espresso sweet spot should start 1 Macro step down, the Micro lever somewhere between 1/3 and 2/3 up from the bottom.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
www.robertjason.com
showing page 178 of 197 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > The Baratza...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Guatemala Classic Bourbon
Temblor - exceptionally smooth, rich coffee with notes of spice, cinnamon, and chocolate. Only at
www.thelostgringo.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.348623037338)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+