Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
The Baratza Vario Grinder Owner's Thread
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > The Baratza...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 187 of 198 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Fri Mar 15, 2013, 9:07pm
Subject: Re: The Baratza Vario Grinder Owner's Thread

MDiddy Said:

My thinking is simply to keep my beans fresh.  

I store them in an Airscape, so rather than them sitting in the hopper for a few days exposed to air, I can keep in them in an air tight container so they last longer.

Posted March 15, 2013 link

I gotcha.
I put a little piece of tape around the lid of my Vario. It is air tight enough, and besides, the beans are still degassing at 4-5 days (my vac pot/BraZen stash)
I noticed no degradation with my espresso blend though.
However, for those that change their beans constantly, single dosing is the answer.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JohnLyn
JohnLyn
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldy
Grinder: Vario
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Toastess popper
Posted Sun Mar 17, 2013, 8:38am

MDiddy Said:

My thinking is simply to keep my beans fresh.  

I store them in an Airscape, so rather than them sitting in the hopper for a few days exposed to air, I can keep in them in an air tight container so they last longer.

+1 on that. and I suppose I could use the timer if I wanted to vary the dose, but I prefer the ease of judging it by weight.  and for the record, I am going with 14-16 gr doses...

IMAWriter Said:

Well, my "tests" aren't blind, so I discounted them. Besides, All my shots taste good. LOL

'nuff said on that!! that's a good sign...
 View Profile Link to this post
Ancamo
Ancamo

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Yama 5 cups
Drip: Aeoropress / CCD
Roaster: POPPERY I / SC-TO
Posted Wed Mar 20, 2013, 7:23pm

Hello guys. I just received my Gaggia Classic and I'm in the process of dialling in my vario.

I've used my vario for about a year with my Andreja Premium and sold the AP to go to drip coffee for a while. I purchased stainless steel burrs from baratza for my drip needs. Now tonight I put back the ceramic burrs and calibrated the Vario like I was doing before macro up and micro half way until a noticeable engine labor. And all I'm getting from the classic are gushers. Even if I calibrate at the second notch from the top on the macro and put both levers up to grind.  

Now I will keep trouble shooting everything else like the OPV pressure on the Classic and try to get darker roast beans but my question is this:

Can I go too far by calibrating the Vario too fine and break something? How would I know if I went too far? My understanding is that I can't dull the burrs cause its only the outer rim of the burrs that can touch?

Thanks for your help

Pascal
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Posted Wed Mar 20, 2013, 8:44pm

Pascal, did you do a cleaning of your Vario?
Do what I've described here about 30 times, including removing the lower burr, and blowing compressed air in the channels of the levers.
Don't over-tighten the 3 screws securing the lower burr when reinserted it. Just comfortably tight.
Then perform the calibration procedure again.
Don't forget, a different machine (different baskets!) has different grind parameters. The pressure may be set a bit higher on the Gaggia as well.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
www.robertjason.com
kboom1
kboom1

Espresso: Alex2HX,Alex Duetto,Rancilio...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky,Vario
Roaster: Behmor x2 / USRC Sample...
Posted Thu Mar 21, 2013, 6:24am

Ancamo Said:

Hello guys. I just received my Gaggia Classic and I'm in the process of dialling in my vario.

I've used my vario for about a year with my Andreja Premium and sold the AP to go to drip coffee for a while. I purchased stainless steel burrs from baratza for my drip needs. Now tonight I put back the ceramic burrs and calibrated the Vario like I was doing before macro up and micro half way until a noticeable engine labor. And all I'm getting from the classic are gushers. Even if I calibrate at the second notch from the top on the macro and put both levers up to grind.  

Now I will keep trouble shooting everything else like the OPV pressure on the Classic and try to get darker roast beans but my question is this:

Can I go too far by calibrating the Vario too fine and break something? How would I know if I went too far? My understanding is that I can't dull the burrs cause its only the outer rim of the burrs that can touch?

Thanks for your help

Pascal

Posted March 20, 2013 link

I doubt you will break anything right off the bat, and yes if your calibrating the grinder too fine it will dull burrs quicker and put undue stress on your motor.
Ancamo
Ancamo

Posted Thu Mar 21, 2013, 10:32am

Tanks Rob the tips. I did just that this morning as well as adjust the OPV one full turn. ( ill have to get a better gauge for my PF since the one I have doesn't give a good reading bouncing up dans down between 140 and 160 PSI) and got more beans (roasted 5 days ago)

Pretty much the same result. I calibrated the grinder to two notch below on the macro and middle with the micro. I can get a 23-25 sec shot with 18g only when I put both levers all the way up.

Now I'm just worried I'm putting to much work load on the engine of the vario like this.

I'll see if I can call Baratza a this point and see what they think.
Pascal
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Posted Thu Mar 21, 2013, 10:47am

A call is always a good idea.
Also, it seems many Vario owners don't hear motor strain till the Macro is set at the top, and the Micro is moved step but step. Mine took about 4 steps on the Micro.
Thus, my espresso setting is 1 Macro down, about 1/2 way up, generally depending on bean, it's age, etc.
Remember, when you first get the grinder running to calibrate, both levers need to be fully DOWN.

I believe if you calibrate it in this manner, you should be able to pull shots in the vicinity of where I do.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
www.robertjason.com
Ancamo
Ancamo

Posted Thu Mar 21, 2013, 3:28pm

Gave a call to Baratza, basically what they said is if the beans are light it's normal to have to calibrate it finer and that I should not worry about the burrs touching cause when there are beans inside the burrs won't touch anymore. Very reassuring. He said I could even calibrate it to the third macro settings if I wanted.

And by the way excellent service by Baratza, I was invited to call back if had any issues. Call was answered promptly by a knowledgeable person. All credit to them!!
JohnLyn
JohnLyn

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldy
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Toastess popper
Posted Fri Apr 5, 2013, 6:49am

I just have to pump up Baratza here and Colin in particular. I recently had a grinder issue with my Vario and after talking me through a couple of fixes they replaced the grinder. I have notice a flavour improvement on the new one and I am back to being able to dial it in with ease (I had run into a problem where adjustments would not change the grind size so tuning was part luck).

I am also impressed with the new grinder. I like the lettering to determine which step I was on and it is quieter then my previous Vario!!
Winnisk

Espresso: Silvano
Posted Sun Apr 7, 2013, 10:52pm

IMAWriter Said:

I guess I just wonder why, using a Vario, anyone would feel the need to dose by the shot. Why, when there is a very accurate timer.
With the mega-doses all seem to be doing these days, whats .2 or .3 gram differences to 20 gram shots?
Anyone says they can taste that is way beyond Geekdom. :>D

I agree that dosing by the timer is as accurate taste wise as single dosing by weight. However, I love the versatility in terms of changing beans that single dosing allows for. I like bolder, chocolate leaning espresso in milk drinks and lighter, fruitier espresso straight. I also freeze my beans in small batches for this reason. Today was fun with my sister in law over trying a range of different espressos back to back. So far I have found the Vario to be remarkably consistent when changing settings back and forth for different blends when single dosing.

I would also like to express my gratitude to Colin who helped me fix a set screw problem over the phone on Friday. It was amazing how fast he diagnosed the issue, guided me through the repair and was genuinely concerned that we get it right. A great grinder with first rate service!
showing page 187 of 198 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > The Baratza...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.369354963303)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+