Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
The Baratza Vario Grinder Owner's Thread
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > The Baratza...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 193 of 198 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
dellios

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Aug 28, 2013, 2:41pm
Subject: Re: The Baratza Vario Grinder Owner's Thread

Hi all,

My first post here. I've had this grinder for about 2 years.  It works still and the grind is great.   I only do espresso shots and the grind is close to the max setting.   But during this whole time,  sometimes the machine acts up.  During a grind it suddenly stops grinding and the front display turns off.  It then will not restart until you shake or gently bang it on the counter.  Then suddenly the display starts up and the machine works again.  I then lower the grind a bit and this normally solves the problem.  Lately when the machine has turned off, it now takes a lot of effort and banging to get the front display back again.  This last time I even dismantled the whole machine, cleaned it and still nothing.  Then after some more banging it came alive and now its back grinding as normal (at a lower setting).

What is going on?  Its not under warranty but I hope I could buy a part to replace and hopefully solve this issue once and for good.

Thanks for any help.

Kosta
 View Profile Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Wed Aug 28, 2013, 3:24pm

Kosta, email or call Baratza. They can probably diagnose your problem, send you a new part, etc.
Just cause your out of warranty, does not mean their CS stops.
No need to bang on your grinder.
Let us know what it was, and when you've got it back to spec!

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jmaeng

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Baratza Vario-W
Drip: Aeropress, Clever, French...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Sep 10, 2013, 6:59am

New shutoff hopper is available for order on the Baratza website for $28: Click Here (www.baratza.com)

I have one being shipped to my place soon to try out on my Vario-W. A friend has the Smart Grinder and I really liked that particular feature. I'm impressed that Barazta would make this feature work on older grinders and relatively low cost. Any other company would make it non-backwards compatible to make you upgrade to the latest.
john1938

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Breville BES840XL,BES920XL
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Sun Sep 29, 2013, 8:40pm

I have just received the Baratza Shut-off bean hopper and it works well.
Just wanted to let folks know that it is not like the Breville Smart Grinder bin internal shut-off - the shut off is a lever at the rear of the bin that you flip over to close the bottom of the bin and shut off the flow of beans to the grinder burrs.
Anyway it does the job and you can take the hopper off without spilling the beans.
John
Whitcoatsyndrom
Whitcoatsyndrom

Espresso: Expobar Office Pulser
Drip: Newco-OCS 12
Roaster: HG/BM
Posted Sun Nov 3, 2013, 7:51pm

Hey everyone,

Perhaps I should have put the following post here, as I'm not getting any response.  I'm questioning if I need to replace my burrs and posted some pics of them in separate thread.  Any help is much appreciated.

"Chipped Baratza Vario Burrs?"
lowellw2

Espresso: Breville BES900XL
Posted Mon Nov 11, 2013, 6:35pm

I just got the shut-off hopper, the burr removal tool, and the metal portaholder. Which came out with the Forte.  All are very well made.  I'm sure I will be less hesitant to clean the burrs now as the new tool makes removal effortless.  I had been having some trouble with my old hopper as it seemed to like to come loose overnight and not engage the switch.  I usually had to twist it back in every morning and sometimes hold on to it to keep the grinder running.  The new one, in addition to allowing easy removal with beans in the hopper, seems to fit much more snugly and I believe my "holding" routine is in the past.  I must say I'm extremely impressed with the metal portaholder.  It's a very heavy casting and gives the Vario a very solid stable feel as the added weight is down low.  I first thought it would not fit in my machine, but a careful slow insertion and it slid into a perfect fit. The built in funnel hugs the portaholder after adjustment of the arms (2 Phillips screws on the back) and there is a small lug at the back which keeps the portaholder from vibrating out (the rubber cover on the arms helps also).  I think i will now have both hands free and I can now be pouring milk for my latte while the grinder does its thing.  Clearly it's a poor mans Forte IMHO. I tip my hat to Baratza for making these items available for the Vario. I think my counter will be much cleaner now and over time these upgrades may be paid for by the coffee beans I don't waste.
smurphy917

Espresso: Saeco Via Venezia
Posted Wed Nov 20, 2013, 8:15am

Just received a brand new Vario-W yesterday. I was sorely disappointed to find that it seems to have some problem with the electronics. After starting up, it just shows "USt" on the LED. No buttons have any effect, other than the start/stop button which sometimes starts and stops the grinder. I called Baratza tech support (Chris' Coffee was closed for the day) and talked to Colin. He was very helpful and we tried going through the re-calibration process a number of times with no result--it would enter calibration mode fine, but wouldn't get past waiting for the 200g weight. Baratza is sending me another grinder, but I was wondering if anyone had seen this error before or knew anything about it. I can't find anything online about that error and Colin himself was unsure.

Any thoughts??
keithd
keithd

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: KA w/Mazzer burrs, Hario...
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Sun Nov 24, 2013, 5:07am

Well, I'm a soon-to-be Baratza Vario-W owner. I'm pretty stoked as my last two serious espresso grinders were a Kitchenaid Proline with Mazzer Mini burrs, and a Hario Mini Mill. The KA just wasn't precise enough, even when made stepless. The Mini was outstanding for the shots it produced, but due to its portable size, grinding was very, very sloowww.

Now that my wife and son are liking the live-in barista's efforts, they're asking me to make espresso drinks for them. It's hard to get a great shot from the KA, and with the Mini I don't want to make more than one shot (but it's a good-'un). So now I want a precise grinder that I can grind quickly and make great shots with.

I narrowed it down to three choices: Preciso w/Essato, Vario, or Vario-W. Mostly decided on a Baratza because of the price/performance ratio for home use and Baratza's reputation for taking care of their customers. I was intending to get an HG One, but not only is it $1K, I have to weigh the beans manually. Gorgeous grinder, but not what I need right now. I eliminated the regular Vario. It's great, and you can grind directly into the portafilter, but you can't grind 18.0 grams exactly automatically. A new Preciso was close to the price of a refurbished Vario-W, but what drove me to the Vario-W was that the flat burrs supposedly bring out more chocolate notes (I don't prefer brighter espresso) and that I found a Vario-W on Amazon for $410 that was probably a return. Also I grind for espresso only, and the Preciso is supposedly a better all-arounder while the Vario/Vario-W is a better espresso grinder. It also helped that the Vario has some of the least grinds retention of any electric grinder ($2K Versalabs not withstanding) - it was important to me as the KA had HUGE grind retention.

I think the only thing that would make the grinder perfect would be if it could weigh the grinds while grinding directly into the portafilter.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Sun Nov 24, 2013, 7:41am

keithd Said:

"but what drove me to the Vario-W was that the flat burrs supposedly bring out more chocolate notes (I don't prefer brighter espresso) and that I found a Vario-W on Amazon for $410 that was probably a return.

Posted November 24, 2013 link

Both the Vario and Vario-W are flat burr grinders. The preciso is a conical burr.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
keithd
keithd

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: KA w/Mazzer burrs, Hario...
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Sun Nov 24, 2013, 11:38am

IMAWriter Said:

Both the Vario and Vario-W are flat burr grinders. The preciso is a conical burr.

Posted November 24, 2013 link

You're quite right - I didn't state conical/flat explicitly as here I assume that most on this forum know which is which and what kind of flavor profile each might yield.
showing page 193 of 198 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > The Baratza...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.332690000534)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+