Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Grind Flavor Profiles, Recommendations(<$500), and Other
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Grind Flavor...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
brianl

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano DB
Grinder: HG One, OE Lido 2, Baratza...
Drip: Chemex/V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Jan 18, 2013, 5:38pm
Subject: Grind Flavor Profiles, Recommendations(<$500), and Other

I have done various research on grinders and the like but you can only do so much before one of these topics is necessary. haha

I have currently narrowed it down to a Vario or Preciso (i have read comments about these two but wanted to personalize it a bit). I am also open to other grinders but keep in mind that I will use it for approximately 80% espresso and 20% Chemex/kalita wave. Therefore, a step-less grind may not be the best option. My girlfriend currently has a Bodum Bistro but I highly doubt that would even be a suitable pour over/drip grinder. I also use a Hario Mill slim for the Chemex but that seems to be lousy at the coarser settings.

I have seen that the Flat Burrs give you a more chocolate and nutty flavor while the Conical Burrs give you a more bright/fruity flavor. I currently use a Gaggia MDF (Flat burr) and it seems to grind fine enough for the machine that I use, a Gaggia Classic, and get the typical 20-30 range for 2ozs. However, using intelligentsia beans, or any of Chicago's home roasters a few days after roast, I am never able to fully get that 'chocolate' bomb. Now, would that be mostly an issue with the grinder and something that the Vario would help with? I have the pressure set to 9 bars in my Gaggia classic and have a thermister 'attached' to the boiler (it may not give me the exact brew temperature but it gives me something to measure to taste and get consistency). I mostly dose to around 16g (15g basket) but I also have a triple basket that I have not experimented on that much. I would expect the triple to be best for the fruity flavors and the lower for the chocolaty.

My original train of thought was to get a Preciso so I would be able to get the bright flavors with it and get the chocolaty flavors with the Gaggia MDF (In both espresso and pour over). However, I have the issue above and that's why the Vario comes into the picture. Now, I understand that the Preciso might not give the chocolate bomb, but hopefully it wouldn't completely neglect it.

I invite you to please help me decide between the Vario/Preciso/Other(<500). I would also appreciate any corrections in my logic above or additional insight. I'm just a simple man that wants to stop thinking about this and get some sleep. haha

On a side note, I've been considering ways to make my Gaggia mdf doser-less. I have taken out the plastic compartment (the doser) that sits on the plastic 'arms'. Currently I have a two funnel system that leads to a glass on a scale. One funnel near the chute that leads to one sitting in the portafilter holder. Now they are both plastic and the dust tends to settle on them, albeit in small amounts. Would getting a stainless steel or other material funnel help with this? What would be the surface the fine grinds would not stick to the most?
 View Profile Link to this post
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Sat Jan 19, 2013, 9:00am
Subject: Re: Grind Flavor Profiles, Recommendations(<$500), and Other

I don't think it's a question.  If you can afford the Vario, get it.  If not, get the Preciso.

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
brianl

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano DB
Grinder: HG One, OE Lido 2, Baratza...
Drip: Chemex/V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Jan 19, 2013, 4:00pm
Subject: Re: Grind Flavor Profiles, Recommendations(<$500), and Other

I am just skeptical on the coarse end of the Vario or else I'd already have it.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Grind Flavor...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.191797971725)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+