Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Mazzer Mini Upgrade - Higher Quality Cup - Complex Flavor
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Mazzer Mini...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
tek

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Changes daily
Grinder: Kafa-Tek Monolith
Posted Sat Jan 5, 2013, 7:11pm
Subject: Re: Mazzer Mini Upgrade - Higher Quality Cup - Complex Flavor

You cannot go wrong with either, but you are familiar with Mazzer, you like Mazzer there is no reason not to buy Mazzer. Either Robur or Kony. If you buy anything else, then every little annoyance or difference on new grinder will be rubbing you wrong way and you'll be thinking about how you should have bought Mazzer... So go for it :-)

www.10000shots.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
ECM
ECM
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Mazzer Robour E
Vac Pot: French Press
Drip: no
Roaster: Fresh Roast+8,  i-roast and...
Posted Sat Jan 5, 2013, 8:32pm

Yes.... Mazer Robour does appear to be in my future.  I know It's a tad too much too big too everything but it will be my last grinder upgrade i'm sure...................., unless something else comes along.  You know how this goes with us coffe geeks!

Rob
ECM
ECM

Posted Sat Jan 5, 2013, 8:34pm

TEK you are right on that I'm sure.  Buy now while I have the money!
Jmanespresso
Jmanespresso
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto II
Grinder: Compak K10 - Vario
Vac Pot: Yama-SY5/SY8/TCA5
Drip: V60, Beehouse, CCD
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Mon Jan 7, 2013, 4:17pm

I wont talk you out of the Mazzer brand, I for one love their grinders.  Ive been using a Major since my first setup, and though I had some different grinders along the way, including a large conical Macap, I ended up back with a Mazzer Major.  IMO, there is no better flat burr grinder out there.

But, and this is just my opinion.. I must talk you out of the E-model.  The E is really great on the flat burr grinders, but for the same reasons, it suffers on the conicals grinders.  In the home setting.

1)The hopper needs to be full of beans to work properly.  Not neccesarily "full", but you need beans in the hopper, at the very least like 300grams depending on hopper size.

2)The Big Conicals(Robur and Kony) hold onto a lot of coffee in the burr chamber, and due to the size of the burr chamber relative to the size of the conical lower burr, there is a good amount of room to pack in grounds, and its not always first in-first out, so purging can be very wasteful.  In Single-Dose mode, as JonR will tell you, the Robur preform admirably and can be kept nice and clean.

-In a commercial setting, the E-models work well if the specific cafe likes that style of grinder, and the waste is negligable.  At home, you'll be wasting more coffee than you want to, and eventually you will end up single dosing anyway, which is actually harder with the E models.

--Check out this Thread for a good read on reducing waste on these big grinders.  Page two has pictures of how big the burr chamber is and how much coffee can be left behind, even after purging.

I really truly believe you will be generally unhappy with an E model Robur or Kony.  IF you must have an E model, I highly, highly point you towards the Mazzer Major.  Ill put my Major up against any Titan Conical and I know I will come out equal, with a nod towards bass notes and less overall seperation, but more body.  That said, if a Conical is what you want, then the Robur or Kony ARE great grinders, but the Robur-E and Kony-E are just not suited to home use in really any fashion.  If MUST have doserless and you want a Conical, There are other options which provide better overall waste performance, like the Elektra Nino.  But I fear, with these grinders, in the home, Single Dosing is the BEST way to get as little waste as possible.  Of course, this is my opinion.

Follow Your Bliss

Coffee makes your constantly overcome your prejudices and re-evaluate your own "received wisdoms" when it comes to judging cup flavors. -Tom Owen, SweetMarias
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
ECM
ECM

Posted Mon Jan 7, 2013, 6:30pm

Thank you..... you have given me something to think about.  I have a mini with docdr and I have come to hate that docer with a pation.  The thought of going back to another docer doesn't really seem practical in a home environment either.  

I will read over your link and give it some thought.  Thanks again for your reply and honesty.

Rob
ECM
ECM

Posted Mon Jan 7, 2013, 8:04pm

My reasons for wanting a Robour E are based on many many hours of research on this form and many others like it.  Clearly this grinder has a loyal following based on many of the following characteristics:

1. very consistent espresso pours this is of huge benefit for any espresso nut who is serious about his/her art

2. Much less grinder adjustment with a conical then is typical of a flat bur set

3. Quick grinding, very quick grinding capability although this is not a deal breaker

4. Docerless chances are I will not be using the timer option on the E as I will be grinding as I need and I have become very skilled at simply eyeballing and dropping in what I need.  I would use a docer but they are incredibly messy on the Mazzers as I have come to realize with my mini for the past 9 years.

5. I have always wanted a large conical grinder and the Robour E fits the bill

6. Yes I thought about the K10 but its only 500.00 cheaper then the Robour E.  For the difference in money you get a more powerful motor and a larger bur set granted the RPMs on the K10 are a bit slower.

7. I hate the look of the K10  - Mazzer Robour has an indestructible mammoth beast like quality that touts its seriousness and commitment to its task at hand

8. I have owned a Maze and in my opinion they remain the top dog in grinders period.  Yes they are far from   perfect but where it counts they deliver.  

Im sure there are more reasons but at the moment I cant think of them.  

Really for me it comes down to the quality of the grind and the final product in my cup.  From all reports this is the most reliable and consistent producing conical grinder on the market, at least according to the threads Ive read.  

I dont really care that much about wasted coffee or stale grinds.  I think there is far too much emphasis placed on these factors.  The majority of these ridiculous monster grinders are way too much for the home environment.  Lets face it they werent intended or designed for that purpose.  Therefore, we make compromises.  You can waste some coffee or leave behind grinds as long as you keep pumping out those beautifully consistent shots I will always worship you Mazzer God!  

Rob
MikeReilly

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Cimbali Junior Gaggia...
Grinder: Pharos CC45 Mazzer Mini
Drip: Cuisinart
Roaster: Behmor, I-Roast 2, Popper
Posted Tue Jan 15, 2013, 10:22am

Well, good luck to you with your upgrade.  It sounds like you've picked out what you want and frankly, you should be pretty happy with which ever grinder you settle on.  I am also in the middle of upgrading from the Mini doser and understand what you are saying about the mess of the doser.  For me this isn't a factor, since my wife has banished me to a corner of the laundry room so I just vacuum every week or so to clean up around the grinder and Behmor.

Where I differ from you is that I'd take a K10 in a heart beat.  I've seen them in action in local cafes and they are a very solid machine that produce a stellar grind.  If a Mazzer does outlast them, I wouldn't think it would be by a large margin.  Still, I'm starting to think that conical grinders might not be the be all and end all of espresso.  I am starting to prefer the sweet syrupy espressos and a large flat burr grinder might be more what I should be looking for.
 View Profile Link to this post
BLrdFX
BLrdFX
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: L-I
Grinder: HG-One, Kony-E, VL, Lido2
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Quest
Posted Sat Jan 19, 2013, 5:23am

I have a Kony-E and the build quality is great, as is the grind quality.

BLrdFX: IMG_0017.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
ECM
ECM

Posted Sat Jan 19, 2013, 11:15am

Yeah I know I like that grinder too.  However, my Robour arrived last week.

I am still in the process of getting use to it.

rob
CoffeeToolsAppJon
CoffeeToolsAppJon
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Strada@work, BDB@home
Grinder: Robur, kony, touch, etc
Drip: v60, wave
Roaster: heart, coava, phil &...
Posted Sat Jan 19, 2013, 11:18am

Your choice of beans will have the greatest impact on the flavor in the cup, not the shape of the burrs.

=
Los Angeles, CA
http://www.coffeeToolsApp.com
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Mazzer Mini...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.278667926788)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+