Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
The Baratza Vario Grinder Owner's Thread
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > The Baratza...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 179 of 197 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
ohills

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Rocket Giotto Evoluzione V2
Grinder: Vario
Posted Tue Jan 15, 2013, 4:52pm
Subject: Re: The Baratza Vario Grinder Owner's Thread

IMAWriter Said:

Yes.
You will need to first clean the grinder. Remove the lower burr as well, making sure there is no grinds directly underneath. Replace both burrs, making sure not to over tighten the 3 screws on the lower burr.
Make sure the upper burr snaps in audibly.
Move both levers up and down, just to make sure they work smoothly.
Reattach the hopper.

Now grab your 2mm supplied adjustment tool, and perform the calibration. remember to START the motor, both levers MUST be down to their lowest position.

Truly, on average, your espresso sweet spot should start 1 Macro step down, the Micro lever somewhere between 1/3 and 2/3 up from the bottom.

Posted January 12, 2013 link

Rob.......   Before I did this full cleaning I was at 3S on my Vario for espresso.  I did the full cleaning ( 1.5 month old Vario ),  I then did as you suggested in the past to turn the adjustment tool 2 full turns clockwise and then do a calibration.  I still got a noticeable  sound change with macro at the 2 mark.  Went back to 3 on macro and 1/2 way up on micro and turned the tool till sound change.  Went back to 3s with same beans, to fine,  and had to go down to 3V.  I would like to go up to 2 on macro, or at least higher on the micro.  Any suggestions?
 View Profile Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, Preciso/Esatto, KyM...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Tue Jan 15, 2013, 5:14pm

Well, they don't generally recommend this, but perhaps remove the rubber grommet adjacent to the 2mm hole adjustment.
It will reveal a 2.5mm hole that you can loosen, which will in turn allow you to move the slider forwards or back.
It's been a while since the old days (I had one of the first 100 or so Varios, I believe without the 2mm adjustment.
Normally all is perfectly adjusted at the factory, but occasionally shipping, etc can cause that slider to move a bit.
I believe (CraigA or a # of posters here can correct me) that the farther forward the slider, the coarser the grind..again, I might have this backwards.

As I remember, you wanted to barely see it, and it will be the best position.
Perhaps Kyle can weigh in here. I do NOT endorse doing this adjustment, perhaps there is a photo somewhere that shows the "normal" position of the slider.

When all is right there, MOST of us, for espresso grind land 1 notch down from the top (Macro), and as i said variably on the Micro, but usually somewhere towards the middle, depending on the bean being ground.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Robbo

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: VBM Junior HX, Silvia '05
Grinder: Vario, Rocky doserless '05
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Jan 17, 2013, 6:28pm

Thanks for the reply.  I've just had a chance to empty and clean my Vario this morning.

Overall, nothing looked obviously wrong, but this was the first time I'd looked closely at the entrance to the chute which was fairly clogged. I cleaned it out as best as possible with a thin skewer to dislodge the hardened clumps of ground coffee around the wall of the chute entrance and then hand-vacced.

My cleaning process entailed removing both upper and lower burrs (they're ceramic), brushing and vacuuming the whole area. When I put it back together, I checked the calibration before refilling with beans. No adjustment was required. (As per recommendations, the change in grinding sound is noticeable when the macro is on the top setting and micro about half-way up the scale.) This adjustment results in my normal espresso setting being between 1/3 and 1/2 way up the micro scale and one-down on the macro scale.

I then ground and ran 2 shots. I grind directly into my PF. For the first shot, the ground coffee certainly exited the chute and filled my double basket more quickly - around 16 sec grind time (down from 26 sec). The grind was nice 'n fluffy and not clumpy and formed a nice mound in the PF. Alas, it was slightly too coarse as the pour started and ran too quickly. Sink shot. For the next shot I readjusted about 3 clicks up on the micro. Early-on while grinding this shot, the motor sound again dropped in tone (like it was working harder). The grind time for the next shot was noticeably slower (back to around 25 sec). The pour and result in the cup was better, drinkable but not great (the second shot was predominantly beans I roasted on Wed night & it's Fri morning). My VBM pressure gauge showed around 9 bar, and I stopped the pour at about 22 sec. Good shots show closer to 10 bar and can run a bit longer. A few more days and the coffee will have more body. I didn't have enough time to adjust and run another shot - tomorrow morning.

By the way, the upper burr doesn't sound like it snaps into place - it's just a smooth action of twisting until it hits the limit.

Also, during my cleaning process before I removed the bottom burr, I thought I'd replace the hopper and run the motor without the upper burr in place. Interestingly, after a few seconds running the motor, the bottom burr section floats up by about 5mm. When I removed the hopper again, I can just push it down back into place. I hadn't really thought about it before, but it's only when the upper burr is located that the bottom burr is held in place.

Mentioned in another post is not over tightening the 3 screws on the lower burr. Is there any special reason for this apart from ensuring that you don't ruin the screws?

Rob
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Posted Thu Jan 17, 2013, 8:11pm

Yes, not to over tighten and strip.
I'd suggest you contact Baratza, as they can help you figure it out.
The lower burr shouldn't raise itself, if it's properly screwed in.

WHOOPS...EDIT..."should" SHOULD have been "shouldn't raise itself."

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
www.robertjason.com
Timmer78
Timmer78

Espresso: Quick Mill QM67
Grinder: Baratza Vario/Bodum Bistro
Vac Pot: none
Drip: Technivorm KBG-741/Hario V60
Roaster: Fresh Roast SR500
Posted Thu Jan 17, 2013, 10:40pm

Hi guys, I just purchased my first espresso machine (qm67) and got the vario grinder for it from chriscoffee.com. They should arrive next week. From the looks of the last few pages of posts here I'm gathering I'll need to calibrate it for espresso before putting beans through it? Is there anything not in the owners manual I should keep in mind? I'll be using the machine solely for espresso grinds, I have a Bodum Bistro grinder for my pour over/drip machine. Thanks for the help!

- Tim
CraigA
CraigA

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Fri Jan 18, 2013, 9:19am

IMAWriter Said:

Well, they don't generally recommend this, but perhaps remove the rubber grommet adjacent to the 2mm hole adjustment.
It will reveal a 2.5mm hole that you can loosen, which will in turn allow you to move the slider forwards or back.
It's been a while since the old days (I had one of the first 100 or so Varios, I believe without the 2mm adjustment.
Normally all is perfectly adjusted at the factory, but occasionally shipping, etc can cause that slider to move a bit.
I believe (CraigA or a # of posters here can correct me) that the farther forward the slider, the coarser the grind..again, I might have this backwards.

Posted January 15, 2013 link

Thanks for the vote Rob, but it's been so long since I've done it (& posted on this)., but I believe you're right.

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Posted Fri Jan 18, 2013, 10:15am

CraigA Said:

Thanks for the vote Rob, but it's been so long since I've done it (& posted on this)., but I believe you're right.

Posted January 18, 2013 link

U betcha, Craig
You prolly know more about the inner workings of these fine grinders than just about anyone here.
I confess I don't, basically because I've not had much to complain about.
I've had the cover off, just to see hope to adjust the belt, if i ever have to.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
www.robertjason.com
ohills

Espresso: Rocket Giotto Evoluzione V2
Grinder: Vario
Posted Fri Jan 18, 2013, 3:00pm

IMAWriter Said:

As I remember, you wanted to barely see it, and it will be the best position.
Perhaps Kyle can weigh in here. I do NOT endorse doing this adjustment, perhaps there is a photo somewhere that shows the "normal" position of the slider.

When all is right there, MOST of us, for espresso grind land 1 notch down from the top (Macro), and as i said variably on the Micro, but usually somewhere towards the middle, depending on the bean being ground.

Posted January 15, 2013 link

Rob..  You were correct, I took the rubber grommet off and looked at the 2.5 mm screw placement.  Mine was in the middle.  As per Craig's instructions I loosened it up and slid it all the way forward.  I then was able to slide the macro all the way up with no sound change.  I then moved the micro up 1/2 way and adjusted the 2mm screw till sound change.   I moved the macro to 2 and micro to letter O and ran a shot.  28 seconds for 16g and 1.5 ounces..  Thanks again for all of your and Craigs help.

Roy
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Posted Fri Jan 18, 2013, 3:35pm

ohills Said:

Rob..  You were correct, I took the rubber grommet off and looked at the 2.5 mm screw placement.  Mine was in the middle.  As per Craig's instructions I loosened it up and slid it all the way forward.  I then was able to slide the macro all the way up with no sound change.  I then moved the micro up 1/2 way and adjusted the 2mm screw till sound change.   I moved the macro to 2 and micro to letter O and ran a shot.  28 seconds for 16g and 1.5 ounces..  Thanks again for all of your and Craigs help.

Roy

Posted January 18, 2013 link

Glad we could help.
Craig's been here a bit longer than me, and helped "break me in" as a member..you don't WANT to know what my grinder and coffee prep device was back then!!
My hand was held by some really knowledgeable folks, our own Dana Leighton, Mark Prince, Dan Kehn (owner of HB), etc.
So thanks Roy, for allowing me to, in a small way return the favor.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
www.robertjason.com
CraigA
CraigA

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Fri Jan 18, 2013, 3:52pm

+1! ;)

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
showing page 179 of 197 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > The Baratza...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
LavAzza Espresso Machines
Awesome capsule espresso machines. Perfect for home, office and restaurant applications.
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.362291812897)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+