Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
comm. grinder hook-up..direct to machine or transformer (220v)?
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > comm. grinder...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
fabchef

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Jan 21, 2013, 3:30pm
Subject: comm. grinder hook-up..direct to machine or transformer (220v)?

Hi everyone, I brought our commercial grinder (for work) to get looked at (burrs,ect). In the meantime i have our old rossi comm. grinder. Right now it have it plugged into a converter that will make it plug into a regular 110 outlet. The grinder does work, but find that when it starts it seems to "wind up" and just noticed before that it got stuck. I cleared out the beans and it started ok.
I want to know, will it work better, with more power, if we hook it up directly to our commercial machine (220v)?
thanks
fabs
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Jan 22, 2013, 6:53am
Subject: Re: comm. grinder hook-up..direct to machine or transformer (220v)?

I am guessing that it is a 220v grinder, you did not say so specifically thought it seems that you have plugged a 220v grinder into a step up transformer to run on 110.

A 220v motor will run on 110 but with VERY low starting power (torque) and at a lower over all loss of power. This is what it seems that you are trying to say.

Any time you can remove any adapter, converter, or other device that tries to make do with other than what the machine is designed for, that is a good thing. If you have 220 v available and it is a 220 v grinder, then I advise to hook it up to what it wants.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
fabchef

Posted Tue Jan 22, 2013, 7:10am

Hi Calb.....sorry i left out some info. Yes it is a 220v grinder and yes, for the moment it is hooked up to a step-up transformer.
As you mentioned, right now the way it's hooked up, it does have low start torque. I guess i'll have it hooked up straight into the coffee machine's power supply.
thanks again,
fabs
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Jan 22, 2013, 1:01pm

If the transformer is properly sized to account for the higher current a motor uses on starting (as much as 3 times the rating on the label of the machine) a transformer should work, I am guessing that either the transformer is too small or is not operating properly. Or, the grinder may have issues ????

The only way to know for sure is to give it a good source of power to see what happens. Good luck!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
MikeReilly

Espresso: Cimbali Junior Gaggia...
Grinder: Pharos CC45 Mazzer Mini
Drip: Cuisinart
Roaster: Behmor, I-Roast 2, Popper
Posted Tue Jan 22, 2013, 3:55pm

I have a similar grinder that was given to me recently.  I'm going to order a step up transformer to get the 240v for it.  Unfortunately, mine has no plate giving me electrical specifications (Watts, 50 or 60 hz, etc) so I was wondering if yours did have at least a Wattage (VA) rating and what that might be?  I seem to recall the RR's being between 150W and 200W, but I don't want to proceed without more than a vague memory.
fabchef

Posted Tue Jan 22, 2013, 9:29pm

ya i'll be calling our maintenance company to have it hooked up directly to it, i remember it being much stronger when it was hooked into the machine..
fabs
fabchef

Posted Thu Jan 24, 2013, 1:26pm

update***
well i went and bought a bigger transformer (750w compared to 300w), and noticed a difference right away, it started much better with less force. I will still ask the tech. to see if it's better to hook it up to the machine directly.
fabs
MikeReilly

Espresso: Cimbali Junior Gaggia...
Grinder: Pharos CC45 Mazzer Mini
Drip: Cuisinart
Roaster: Behmor, I-Roast 2, Popper
Posted Thu Jan 24, 2013, 3:05pm

fabchef Said:

update***
well i went and bought a bigger transformer (750w compared to 300w), and noticed a difference right away, it started much better with less force. I will still ask the tech. to see if it's better to hook it up to the machine directly.
fabs

Posted January 24, 2013 link

So is it working well with a 750w transformer or does it still get beans stuck some times?
fabchef

Posted Thu Jan 24, 2013, 5:02pm

Mike..so far so good, the difference is in the start up force...it's way better now. Once it gets going, it's not a problem..was just when you turn it on, as there are beans in there, it was having a tough time...not it starts well.
fabs
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > comm. grinder...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.244117021561)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+