Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
preciso woes
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > preciso woes  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
Author Messages
bwcasolo

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: ranchilio silvia
Grinder: baratza preciso
Drip: krups
Roaster: behmor1600
Posted Thu Jan 24, 2013, 5:12pm
Subject: preciso woes

my preciso just about met it's one year warranty until the gear drive, or something just went bad. a new one is on the way. it concerns me that so many baratza grinders poop out in a short time. so much has been said, and it is true, they have great customer service, but if the product was that great, fewer grinders would have to be replaced.
i need a grinder i can count on for espresso. a tank. if this newer version of preciso does not cut it after a year, i will have another year or research under my belt. i almost upgraded to a vario, but the preciso has been working so well for me with my silvia, i am quite pleased. thought i would just add some info.
 View Profile Link to this post
dyqik

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07 PM
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso...
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Bona-Vita, CCD, Aeropress.
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Modded Poppers
Posted Fri Jan 25, 2013, 10:03am
Subject: Re: preciso woes

There was a flaw with the gearbox design that meant that the old design could strip its gears if operated at too fine a grind (burrs touching) or if a stone went through the burrs.
The new design gearbox prevents the stripping, as the motor will stall instead.  Since I did that replacement, mines been reliable.  There's a few idiosyncrasies with the Preciso that you need to be aware of, but if you are happy to keep a few spares in stock (burr holder and adjustment ring), it'll won't go down for very long.  Even with the odd spares purchase, it's a lot cheaper than a commerical grade espresso grinder and a separate grinder for drip and press pot.

Cheap, versatile, tank-like reliability and good quality grinding aren't going to be found in one place.

On the number of grinders being replaced, you have no idea what proportion of grinders sold are replaced under warranty.  (see TahoeJoe's posts on the Brazen thread for a similar discussion).  You need to know how many they've sold to get an idea of that.
Madurodave

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso
Vac Pot: Yama 5 cup
Drip: Mr Coffee, perculator
Roaster: HotTop B, West Bend Air...
Posted Fri Jan 25, 2013, 10:50am

I had the same issue on my Preciso. The new gear box has been working great for me so far! Don't sweat it too much - it will be fine. I had them send the gear box and I installed myself.

I also have a Silvia and love it!

Dave
Harley rider, Espresso drinker, Primo XL grill
MerleApAmber

Espresso: Breville BES900
Grinder: Baratza Preciso + Esatto
Vac Pot: Yuma
Drip: bah-humbug
Roaster: Hot Top 2K P
Posted Fri Jan 25, 2013, 12:06pm

< crosses fingers and hopes for all good things.  Thank you for the information!
-Chris
pilot25

Grinder: Preciso
Posted Sun Jan 27, 2013, 7:13am

Ah, yet another woeful Preciso owner.  As my many postings state on this grinder, "Stay away....Very far away."

The fact one poster writes that you need to keep extra parts on hand should be a big freaking clue how crappy this grinder is.
bwcasolo

Posted Sun Jan 27, 2013, 8:31am

yep, such a learning curve a person has to go thru. ultimately, i will have a top knotch grinder.
bwcasolo

Posted Mon Jan 28, 2013, 5:33pm

my new preciso arrived today, she really purr's with the new and improved drive. first double shot a grand slam, thanks baratza customer support!
dyqik

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07 PM
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso...
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Bona-Vita, CCD, Aeropress.
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Modded Poppers
Posted Tue Jan 29, 2013, 12:39pm

pilot25 Said:

Ah, yet another woeful Preciso owner.  As my many postings state on this grinder, "Stay away....Very far away."

The fact one poster writes that you need to keep extra parts on hand should be a big freaking clue how crappy this grinder is.

Posted January 27, 2013 link

Needs maintenance more than less versatile and more expensive grinders != crappy.  Intervention free operation for years is only one criteria that you can judge grinders on.

Perhaps you'd like to recommend a better grinder for espresso, drip and French press for $300.
bwcasolo

Posted Sat Feb 2, 2013, 6:53am

a week into my new replacement preciso grinder update-the grinder will not run turning the timer knob on the side, it will run pushing the front button above the hopper, email sent to baratza support-i know the future, i see the future, i have been doing this long enough now to accept my next step in a quality grinder. live and learn.
pilot25

Grinder: Preciso
Posted Mon Feb 4, 2013, 3:23pm

dyqik Said:

Needs maintenance more than less versatile and more expensive grinders != crappy.  Intervention free operation for years is only one criteria that you can judge grinders on.

Perhaps you'd like to recommend a better grinder for espresso, drip and French press for $300.

Posted January 29, 2013 link

Years??  How about 3 months then switch it out for the ever better updated grinder then another 3 months....  $100 / month of use is a pretty expensive grinder.  Thankfully Baratza knows how crappy it is and attempts to make things right.  I feel for them.  This is a company of very few individuals trying to make it big but you can't make crap and expect people to not demand satisfaction.  How many of these things have they swapped out?  If it more than 10% than it's a disaster.  Unfortunately its not quality control.  Its just design.

All I hear are posts of people getting and loving it after one pour.  Well, me too.  Then the many rings of plastic go to hell in just a few months.

As the one poster stated, "keep lots of extra parts on hand."  You are going to need them.

Clearly you need to spend more than $300 if you want a consistant espresso pour.  The constant woes expressed on all the coffee forums indicates as much.  There isn't another grinder that people complain about more.
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > preciso woes  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.26099395752)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+