Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
different precisio woes
Quick Mill Andreja
Best bang for the buck in E-61 Espresso Machines.  In stock, free shipping, 2 yr warranty!
cupandbrew.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > different...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
dspear99ca

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Coffee
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Posted Tue Jan 29, 2013, 9:51am
Subject: different precisio woes

I just bought a Baratza Precisio last week.  After the usual half a dozen test shots, I had it dialed in for my Lavazza beans.  Macro setting = 11, micro setting = H gave me a 28-second double-shot, good crema, good taste (yeah yeah I know they are factory beans that are months old but they work well for calibrating a grinder and for guests).  My wife was away on business last week and came home with a couple of bags of delicious looking and smelling fresh-roasted beans for me, so yesterday I set up the grinder as I always do, same settings as for the Lavazza.  The machine choked, so I increased the micro setting to I, to J, finally to K (the "k"oarsest micro setting).  Getting a shot now, but still too slow... just for fun I ran one through to 2.5oz and it took 65 seconds.  Very bitter and gross.  So I changed my macro setting to 12, the next coarsest setting (while the grinder was running) and dialed the micro setting back to A.  Now I get a 15 second shot with zero crema.

So... apparently not only is there no overlap between the macro/micro settings, there is a GAP!  A significant gap, at that.  

Do I have a dud, should I be returning it?  A grinder with 440 gradations is of no use to me if the two or three I need most are between macro settings.

I'm quite sure there is an internal adjustment for calibration that I could tweak to allow me to get a good shot with these beans, but I do not relish the thought of doing that every time I change coffee beans.

I feel exceptionally spoiled that a crappy cup of joe can ruin my morning.  But life is too short for bad coffee.

Dave
 View Profile Link to this post
jbviau
jbviau

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Tue Jan 29, 2013, 10:19am
Subject: Re: different precisio woes

I remember reading a while back that if you go down to the finest (macro) setting on the Preciso and then back off to your desired setting, e.g. 11-H, you might get better results than if you head to that desired setting directly. Not speaking from personal experience here, but it's something to try.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, Preciso/Esatto, KyM...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Tue Jan 29, 2013, 10:22am

Dave. First thing....adjusting with old beans isn't always the best way to go. They are dry, and.....OLD.
Good that you are working with freshly roasted beans.

OK, Know that your Preciso at 11, for MOST folks is normally too coarse a setting for espresso. For instance, mine is at 8, occasionally 9.
I'd advise you to empty all the beans in the hopper, grind thill there is nothing less, then completely clean your Preciso.

Make sure when you replace your upper burr that the red marking is facing "5 o'clock."

Then I would set the hopper setting at 9, micro at K, throw in 15 grams of beans (the "fresh" ones, grind, do your usual distribution, tamp as usual, but not a monster tamp.

Pull your shot. Remember, if your beans are LESS than 4 days old, you might get a tight shot, due to the excess co2. If you have  bottomless portafilter, this might manifest as squirts.

If you are still choking your Gaggia, then the calibration screw inside the grinder may have been set to the finer setting. Go to the Baratza website, and search for the "calibrating the Preciso."
Keep us posted.
BTW, perhaps edit your profanity while you're at it.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Posted Tue Jan 29, 2013, 10:25am

dspear99ca Said:

I'm quite sure there is an internal adjustment for calibration that I could tweak to allow me to get a good shot with these beans, but I do not relish the thought of doing that every time I change coffee beans.

Dave

Posted January 29, 2013 link

Once set, you're good, as a change of beans should only involves moving the Micro 3-5 steps either way. I've had my Preciso nearly 2 years, and have not had to change that calibration.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
www.robertjason.com
dspear99ca

Posted Tue Jan 29, 2013, 10:38am

I read through the manual when I got it, and started off with a setting of "8" on the macro.  The machine choked, like zero flow not even drips after a few seconds.  So I went to "9" then "10" and finally settled on "11" as that's what gave me the grind I wanted/needed with the beans at hand.  I will go ahead and clean the machine as you suggest and report back.

Thanks very much for your help.  BTW, profanity edited, my apologies.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Posted Tue Jan 29, 2013, 10:54am

dspear99ca Said:

I read through the manual when I got it, and started off with a setting of "8" on the macro.  The machine choked, like zero flow not even drips after a few seconds.  So I went to "9" then "10" and finally settled on "11" as that's what gave me the grind I wanted/needed with the beans at hand.  I will go ahead and clean the machine as you suggest and report back.

Thanks very much for your help.  BTW, profanity edited, my apologies.

No worries!  You get CG points for RTFM (reading the freakin' manual.) ;>D

Occasionally, a Preciso might go out with the screw set in the finer position. As it is all relative, leave it where it is (don't remove the cover, etc)
Do your 11 setting, maybe the Micro half way..

Before grinding, pull a shot with the PF and basket, but no grind. How does the water flow look?
If slow, perhaps see if your group screen needs a cleaning (Joe Glo, etc)
If all is good, then have at it with coffee.

Each Micro step is VERY small. Glad you adjust with the grinder running. Some folks forget how important that is, to prevent beans getting jammed between the burrs. THAT was my suspicion till you mentioned you adjust while the grinder is running.
Let us know how it goes.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
www.robertjason.com
dspear99ca

Posted Tue Jan 29, 2013, 11:35am

I know the flow is good through the grouphead and screen, I clean the screen fairly recently.  I would not suspect that cleaning the grinder is going to change my grind, but I have been wrong about this type of thing many times before so I am going to try it with an open (and hopeful) mind.  The grinder makes the proper noises, and adjusting the settings does what it's supposed to... it's just that I seem to need a grind between 11-K and 12-A (call it 11-L)... 11-K is just a touch too fine and 12-A is significantly too coarse.  It seems that the difference between 11-K and 12-A is far far bigger than one (or even two) micro adjustments on the same macro setting (like between 11-I and 11-K).

Assuming that I disassemble and brush the burrs and see no change in the product, would my next step be to adjust the calibration a bit?  I can't seem to find any Preciso-specific calibration instructions on the Baratza site found a post on Roaste.com with some pictures and it looks like adjustment is the same as for other lower-end Baratza grinders with a set screw and three adjustment windows on the adjustment ring.

Ideally I'd adjust so that settings for dry (okay, OLD) lighter roast beans (of which I have a large costco-sized bag) and newer darker roast beans are on the same macro setting.  I may just have to play with it.  Hate disassembling something brand new though.  I have sent a note to Baratza too, asking if opening it up will void the warranty.
Intrepid510

Posted Tue Jan 29, 2013, 12:18pm

You don't need to mess with the calibration, the only time you would want to do that is if you are are at either 0-A or 40-H and either getting too coarse or too fine.

I don't think the Preciso lines up perfectly with 11-H being one step finer than 12-A. I am not sure why you would go from choking to pulling a gusher. Are you weighing your dose? If you are grinding and leveling you could get quite a bit of difference shot to shot, thus going from choking to gusher.

If anything I would've expected what you did not to really change anything, so pull another shot and see if it happens again then come back here if it does or try going finer.

Less water, more grounds.
dspear99ca

Posted Tue Jan 29, 2013, 12:32pm

Intrepid510 Said:

You don't need to mess with the calibration, the only time you would want to do that is if you are are at either 0-A or 40-H and either getting too coarse or too fine.

I don't think the Preciso lines up perfectly with 11-H being one step finer than 12-A. I am not sure why you would go from choking to pulling a gusher. Are you weighing your dose? If you are grinding and leveling you could get quite a bit of difference shot to shot, thus going from choking to gusher.

If anything I would've expected what you did not to really change anything, so pull another shot and see if it happens again then come back here if it does or try going finer.

No, I didn't weigh the dose, do not have a scale.  I grind 9 seconds into the PF, use the WDT to break up the chunks.  The dose is just below the top of the basket at that point.  Any more and it's too full and I get the impression of the screen on top of the puck.  11-K = 65 seconds, lots of crema, bitter shot.  12-A = 15 seconds, no crema, no bitter taste but lacking in sugars.  I've done 3 shots at 11-K and 3 at 12-A, 100% reproducible results so far.

I really tamped the last 12-A shot hard and it was a bit better, maybe I should try the 11-K dose with very light tamping?  Or use smaller dose?

I am not enjoying using half a bag of expensive beans to yield a couple of marginally OK shots and many awful ones.  I thought that I had purchased a grinder that would give me enough control that I could adjust using grind only to achieve a particular flow rate through a particular dose.  Am I being unrealistic?  I know there is a lot of barista skill involved in making really good espresso, but if the case is that it takes this much coffee to dial in a setting I'll need to start buying it by the multi-kilogram sack and buying one of those tamper-pressure-measuring devices... 8-(

On a positive note my bad shots are no worse than what most coffee chains serve...
Intrepid510

Posted Tue Jan 29, 2013, 2:50pm

I would strongly strongly recommend getting a pocket scale that you can weigh your dose weight on that measures to tenth gram. It will greatly improve your consistency.

This is my speculation what could be happening and it may be wrong. I believe that 11-K does not equal 12-A, in fact I think 12-A is actually finer than 11-k. So when you are grinding for 8 seconds you are actually getting less coffee than at 11-k, a gram or two may not be that noticable to your eye but it is when trying to make a shot.

In the mean time just grind a little more or less, depending on what setting you choose. 11-K = less 12-A = more.

Less water, more grounds.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > different...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.312340021133)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+