Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Looking for some grinder advice
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Looking for some...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
ATLDiver

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Thu Jan 31, 2013, 9:07am
Subject: Looking for some grinder advice

All, I've finally narrowed down buying a Gaggia classic or maybe a used Silva but haven't figured out the grinder yet. Right now I'm leaning to Gaggia MDF but have read some negative stuff about using the MDF getting warm and causing the beans to get a little warm. How does the Baratza Encore stack up to MDF, I know it's Baratza entry-level grinder but seems Baratza grinders are well regarded. Any other grinders in sub $200 I should keep in mind?
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Thu Jan 31, 2013, 9:28am
Subject: Re: Looking for some grinder advise

Just about everyone here on CG feels the Preciso is the entry level Baratza grinder, not the Encore.  A Preciso can be had direct from Baratza with a one year warranty for $239, if you're willing to buy a refurbished unit.  They update the refurb section every Thursday am.  If you don't see what you want there, it means they don't have it, so you have to wait. Unfortunately, they don't have any right now (I just checked)...maybe next week?

Though Baratza labels their Encore as entry level for espresso, it has only 40 steps and is really designed to be a catch all grinder (all brew methods, that is).  The 40 steps covering that broad range, means there are only a couple/few that will be suitable for espresso.  What will happen is, you'll end up having to choose between "too coarse" or "too fine", and then adjust your dose to compensate, so your extraction runs properly.  For example, if you choose "too coarse", you'll need to overpack the basket, so you can slow down the extraction, and if you choose "too fine", you'll underdose to speed it up.  If you don't do this dose modification, you'll get underextracted shots from the "too coarse" and overextracted shots from the "too fine".

Under $200, most of us would suggest a hand grinder.  The OE Lido will cost you about $185 delivered ($165 + shipping).  It'll blow away any electric grinder under $500 in terms of grind quality.  You could also get a Hario Slim or Skerton for about $40-50 - Good quality grind, but not as good as the Lido. There are other hand grinders to consider...if you're interested.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
sa11os
sa11os

Espresso: Brugnetti Simona
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Porlex mini
Drip: V60-01, Chemex
Posted Fri Feb 1, 2013, 1:58pm
Subject: Re: Looking for some grinder advice

I'll second skipping the encore and going to the Preciso or the Virtuoso. It will mean all the difference in getting good results with the gaggia or the silvia. The encore just doesn't have the range selection to compare. If you just absolutly can't afford or can't wait for one of these I'd also say that a hand grinder could work. It means a lot more time in preparation, though, as well as the ones that approach the benifits of the Baratzas are also approaching the price. Well, enough for me to urge you towards the Baratzas. I think they honor their refurbs with a warrenty, as well.
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Fri Feb 1, 2013, 3:16pm

sa11os Said:

...I'd also say that a hand grinder could work. It means a lot more time in preparation...

Posted February 1, 2013 link

A lot more time? Not really.  I use an OE Lido at work to grind for my Espro press.  It takes me less than 1 minute to grind 22g.  Going a little finer for espresso can't add all that much time.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
David_Batson

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Breville BCG800XL Smart...
Posted Fri Feb 1, 2013, 7:26pm

I recently bought a Gaggia Classic and soon after decided to buy a grinder.  I ordered the Gaggia MDF, but before it shipped I changed my mind and changed the order to get a Breville BCG800XL Smart Grinder.  I couldn't be happier with the performance of the Breville.  Read my review below.

Click Here (www.wholelattelove.com)
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Looking for some...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.220660924911)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+