Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Zassenhaus Guatemala
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Zassenhaus...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
ggcadc
ggcadc
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: QM Alexia
Grinder: Mazzer mini E, Virtuoso,...
Vac Pot: Yama 3 cup
Drip: All of them
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Nov 14, 2011, 4:30pm
Subject: Re: Zassenhaus Guatemala

This is a followup after much back and forth with a Zass distributor about problems with 3 of these grinders. The reatailer Blacksmith coffee was amazingly helpful in trying to resolve these issues but in the end I had to deal with the distributor.

The first grinder I had was misaligned and on a med/coarse grind would rub about 1/4 of the turn with no beans in it. The replacements had this same problem only worse on one, so bad that I sent a pic of the grind distribution to show I wasnt just being finicky, this was really bad... Click Here (www.flickr.com)
The distributor tested their newest shipment and found about 1/3 showing shaft misalignment... that's just nuts to me. This is absolute proof of what some said above about Zass going to china for manufacturing.

I finally after about a month of this got a decent copy of this grinder. Now I'm wary of keeping this thing around considering the problems it's prone to. Anyone think I should go with a different mill for my daily pourover? This is so beautiful to look at I almost want to just grin and bear it.
 View Profile Link to this post
jameskachan
jameskachan
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Areopress
Posted Sat Feb 2, 2013, 12:32pm

Hey

Just bringing this thread back up, some time has gone by, do you still love the Zassenhaus Gutemala mill?
It looks nicely designed. I'm a fan of well made and aesthetic things.

I need a grinder, however I want to get a good to start and not bother with having to replace it.
Since you've owned this one for a while, would you recommend it?

I'm also considering this one somewhat:
Click Here (www.socialcoffeecompany.com)

Though, im at a loss of which is better, ceramic burrs or stainless steal, I've heard ceramic is better but.. I dont know a bunch about the hardware side of coffee.

and another thing, what is the "experience" like of grinding daily with a handpowered one? I like the idea, though I worry if it would be a pain, or is it kinda a nice ritual? please let me know!

thanks
— James

PS, in your flickr pictured I didnt notice the wooden ball on the top of the grinding arm, did yours not have it? or is this a newer update that has it now..  (link for reference)
Click Here (www.socialcoffeecompany.com)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
ggcadc
ggcadc
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: QM Alexia
Grinder: Mazzer mini E, Virtuoso,...
Vac Pot: Yama 3 cup
Drip: All of them
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Feb 12, 2013, 11:28am

I do still have the grinder, it sits on the shelf though. it looks great, functionally works well, the experience of grinding is a bit difficult though due to the shape of the grinder. the Skerton you linked to would be a better choice. it's cheaper, and ceramic burrs are washable, that's the main practical advantage. However the slim mill is easier to grip, and has a cap for the top. its more in the tradition of a knee mill, but meant to be hand held instead of pushed onto a counter. I have a slim mill and it's a great travel grinder. I believe it uses the exact same burr set as the skerton.

Zassenhaus has sadly fallen below the quality of the Korean and Japanese made hand mills.
Sam21

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Siphon, Aeropress, CCD
Drip: Kalita Wave, Beehouse,...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B-2K
Posted Tue Feb 12, 2013, 11:45am

ggcadc Said:

I do still have the grinder, it sits on the shelf though. it looks great, functionally works well, the experience of grinding is a bit difficult though due to the shape of the grinder. the Skerton you linked to would be a better choice. it's cheaper, and ceramic burrs are washable, that's the main practical advantage. However the slim mill is easier to grip, and has a cap for the top. its more in the tradition of a knee mill, but meant to be hand held instead of pushed onto a counter. I have a slim mill and it's a great travel grinder. I believe it uses the exact same burr set as the skerton.

Zassenhaus has sadly fallen below the quality of the Korean and Japanese made hand mills.

Posted February 12, 2013 link

The Skerton and Mini will not last in the long run. You spent $100+ for the Zass I am assuming. Is a LIDO not in your price range? To me, it's the ultimate affordable manual grinder and will easily outlast electric grinders in a similar $100-300 price range.
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Zassenhaus...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.255458831787)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+