Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
preciso woes
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > preciso woes  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 4 first page previous page
Author Messages
conteur
conteur
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Pavoni Europicola, Bruni...
Grinder: Various hand mills
Roaster: Heat gun and dog bowl.
Posted Fri Feb 15, 2013, 7:58am
Subject: Re: preciso woes

I went to their support site and submitted a complaint. They never responded.
 View Profile Link to this post
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Fri Feb 15, 2013, 9:11am

Try a phone call and ask if they can help you.  What have you got to lose?  Seems like those who do not like the grinder have still noted great service.  They can tell from the number if it is the old gearbox, and just might help you out.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
redkiosk
redkiosk
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Illy Francis-Francis X1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso w/ Esatto...
Vac Pot: Someday, very intriguing!
Drip: Trifecta MB, Kalita Wave...
Roaster: A sure path to divorce!
Posted Fri Feb 15, 2013, 9:39am

My Preciso w/Esatto is just under a year old. Baratza replaced my grinder after one month because it fell within the group that did not have the adjustment ring glued down. Since then, absolutely no problems at all. It's used only for my Trifecta MB, so any grind adjustments are minor. I do clean the grinder throughly after every change of coffee (12-24 oz), removing the top burr and inspecting plastic parts for wear or cracks. Besides following the rule for adjusting grind only while grinding or empty, I use this grinder as it should be, multiple times every day. For the price, what it does and how well it does it, I can't complain. Take care!

Jim

The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!
pilot25

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Preciso
Posted Tue Feb 19, 2013, 12:24pm

Conteur,

Baratza knows the gearbox was a POS.  They have readily replaced ones out of warranty.  I would call them and they probably will send you a referb or at least a new gearbox you can install.  I talked to the designer of the Preciso and he lamented over the gearbox choice in the original design.
Madurodave

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso
Vac Pot: Yama 5 cup
Drip: Mr Coffee, perculator
Roaster: HotTop B, West Bend Air...
Posted Tue Feb 19, 2013, 12:45pm

D4F Said:

Could the problems or lack of problems be related to how we use the Preciso?

Posted February 13, 2013 link

Definitely. I grind for espresso, so minimal changes to the gearbox. Others like pilot25 who moves the gearbox from coarse to fine frequently experience issues. So the Preciso works well for most but those who vary grinds greatly will probably experience a higher failure rate.

Dave
Harley rider, Espresso drinker, Primo XL grill
Madurodave

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso
Vac Pot: Yama 5 cup
Drip: Mr Coffee, perculator
Roaster: HotTop B, West Bend Air...
Posted Tue Feb 19, 2013, 12:48pm

conteur Said:

I can only second everything being said here. I own a Preciso, and even though it is over a year old it hasn't been used that much. The gearbox is shot. I brew mostly pour over and an occasional espresso. The gearbox failed without doing a lot of adjustment. I just wish I had used the machine more often so that it would have failed in the warranty period. What a piece of crap! I'll just chalk it up to a $300 lesson/mistake.

Posted February 15, 2013 link

Call them and/or e-mail them. I am sure they will make it right for you.

Dave
Harley rider, Espresso drinker, Primo XL grill
JimOD
JimOD
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Saeco Aroma Non Pressurized
Grinder: Baratza Preciso with Esatto
Drip: Bunn NHBX-B
Posted Tue Feb 19, 2013, 3:32pm

Henry Ford began with the Model A.  Each successive model was the next letter in the alphabet.  He finally delivered a premium product with the Model T.  I'm sure many buyers of models A through S wish Ford had simply begun with the Model T, but it doesn't work that way.  He required field use by customers to supply accurate feedback.  He required time for he and his engineers to digest the feedback and try solutions.  Although each model, beginning with the Model A, was Ford's best effort at the time, there is no substitute for actual customer use.

Baratza is trying to deliver a precision product to a discriminating market for about half the price of comparable products.  I'm happy they are.  My first Preciso with the older gear box delivered a consistently good espresso grind for six months, allowing a beginner like me to start learning about espresso on a tight budget.  After six months, when the machine failed, they delivered a new one to me with the upgraded gear box within four days of my original email.

Beginners don't want to blindly invest $1000+ in a new hobby/endeavor.  They need a grinder that allows them to begin exploring the world of espresso at an investment level that makes sense.  I applaud Baratza for taking the slings and arrows of addressing this market.

If my new Preciso eventually fails, and Baratza tells me their current Preciso will last for years, I'll buy another Preciso.  If the Preciso is still only lasting a year or two, I'll buy a Vario, but I'm sticking with Baratza.

My tongue is burned
conteur
conteur

Espresso: La Pavoni Europicola, Bruni...
Grinder: Various hand mills
Roaster: Heat gun and dog bowl.
Posted Tue Mar 12, 2013, 4:46am

Here is a follow-up to my complaint about my Preciso. Apparently my original complaint submission to Baratza Support got lost in their system. After posting here I resubmitted the complaint and received an immediate response from Pierce Jens. They supplied me with replacement parts and detailed (youtube) instructions as to how to replace the damaged gears at no cost. They asked if I could perform the repair myself, or if I thought I needed to return the product to them. I opted to do the repair myself, and I am glad that I did. I now feel I have a more intimate understanding of the grinder and it's inner workings. I still think that it is unfortunate that a defectively designed product was released for distribution, but I will have to say that Baratza's customer service is outstanding. Bravo Baratza.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Tue Mar 12, 2013, 7:47pm

conteur Said:

Here is a follow-up to my complaint about my Preciso. Apparently my original complaint submission to Baratza Support got lost in their system. After posting here I resubmitted the complaint and received an immediate response from Pierce Jens. They supplied me with replacement parts and detailed (youtube) instructions as to how to replace the damaged gears at no cost. They asked if I could perform the repair myself, or if I thought I needed to return the product to them. I opted to do the repair myself, and I am glad that I did. I now feel I have a more intimate understanding of the grinder and it's inner workings. I still think that it is unfortunate that a defectively designed product was released for distribution, but I will have to say that Baratza's customer service is outstanding. Bravo Baratza.

Posted March 12, 2013 link

I believe the phrase "defectively designed" is a bit harsh, and perhaps unrealistic. Please allow me to explain.
How many bugs are there in nearly every release of a new OS for Windows and Mac? Let me count the ways.
Same with nearly every piece of music software I install. Invention often comes with some growing pains.

That said, as you correctly and considerately noted, when a company backs their product as does Baratza (and thankfully some other companies as well) the consumer wins, even if it's a bit of a struggle occasionally.

What's cool is that YOU were treated with the respect you deserved, and you've got the grinder doing it's job as you've hoped it would.

EDITED for many typos.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
kboom1
kboom1

Espresso: Alex2HX,Alex Duetto,Rancilio...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky,Vario
Roaster: Behmor x2 / USRC Sample...
Posted Wed Mar 13, 2013, 5:37am

IMAWriter Said:

I believe the phrase "defectively designed" is a bit harsh, and perhaps unrealistic. Please allow me to explain.
How many bugs are there in nearly every release of a new OS for Windows and Mac? Let me count the ways.
Same with nearly every piece of music software I install. Invention often comes with some growing pains.

That said, as you correctly and considerately noted, when a company backs their product as does Baratza (and thankfully some other companies as well) the consumer wins, even if it's a bit of a struggle occasionally.

What's cool is that YOU were treated with the respect you deserved, and you've got the grinder doing it's job as you've hoped it would.

EDITED for many typos.

Posted March 12, 2013 link

+1

also you have to remember that Baratza designed their grinders to be user servicable all parts are easily replaced/repared by the end user with use of helpful guides and videos on the Baratza site.
showing page 4 of 4 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > preciso woes  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.329257011414)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+