Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Vario v Vario W
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Vario v Vario W  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Dapuma

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Feb 15, 2013, 8:04pm
Subject: Vario v Vario W

It seems that he overwhelming amount of people believe the Vario is going to give the best espresso pulls for a grinder under $500, I am a begginer here so I am curious to the difference between the two models other than $100

Once I purchaes the machine and grinder I do not want to have to upgrade anytime soon so I want to do it right the first time, I have a EC-155 and spice grinder right now

The W model says it has a weight system in it, versus a timer (you hold down a button?)

Is the weight system just something else that can break?  Or is it actually useful and worthy of $100 more?  

In that price range is there anything else I should consider?
 View Profile Link to this post
MerleApAmber

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Breville BES900
Grinder: Baratza Preciso + Esatto
Vac Pot: Yuma
Drip: bah-humbug
Roaster: Hot Top 2K P
Posted Fri Feb 15, 2013, 9:52pm
Subject: Re: Vario v Vario W

I purchased the preciso with an esatto unit hooked up underneath.  Part of that was the idea the preciso was enough grinder for me and I wanted the automation of having consistent mass dosing.  Another part might have been that if one part of the pair failed I would only have to replace it and not expense the entire price.

So, I'd offer that for me the W optioned unit would be the best choice.  Reason I say yes to continuous mass measurements is it is one of three consistent variables which influence two  others in the draw process.  1) mass, 2) grind, 3) pressure  (two parts to this - the pressure you compress the puck when you fill the porta-filter, and, second, the resulting pressure your machine achieves during the draw) and last: extraction time to the amount of drink you're seeking to make: measured by volume, mass, or your preference of the mouses' tail jiggle...

Good luck with that - for me, it's all good!

Cheers
brianl

Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano DB
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: chemex
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Feb 16, 2013, 12:38am

It's worth it if you keep the hopper full. I single dose so it didn't make sense for me. Everything else is the same
Dapuma

Posted Sat Feb 16, 2013, 10:41am

I measure by weight when I make desserts (I am in charge of drinks (cocktails / coffee) and baking, the Mrs cooks :)

So it sounds like perhaps the W is the way to go, because that is the best way to get a consistant drink result every time (which is generally what I strive for)

By keeping the hopper full you are saying keeping the unit full of beans to grind versus storing them in a bag?  

I am assuming the hopper creates a good seal and is as efficent as keeping it in a zip lock bag? Would that be a correct assumption?
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Sat Feb 16, 2013, 1:29pm

Dapuma Said:

I am assuming the hopper creates a good seal and is as efficent as keeping it in a zip lock bag? Would that be a correct assumption?

Posted February 16, 2013 link

No.

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
DavecUK

Posted Sat Feb 16, 2013, 6:14pm

Dapuma Said:

Posted February 16, 2013 link

Just to expand on the No comment <lol>

The lid of the hopper might well be airtight...it's not, but even if it was.....there is a bloody big hole in the bottom leading eventually to the outside, it's where the beans go and the ground coffee comes out! I suppose in a few 100 years them may be able to grind the coffee within a sealed chamber and teleport/beam it out.....but not yet.
Dapuma

Posted Sat Feb 16, 2013, 6:28pm

For $500 for a grinder I figured it steamed the milk as well :)  That makes sense

So if keep the hopper full is bad, is the W actually better then?  Would it be similar to someone making a mixed drink using a jigger vs a speed pourer and a 3 count?

couldn't i just use my scale and tare it with a bowl (although that may become a pain)

Does it really matter than much on an espresso if the grind is the same and the grams vary by 3 or 4 per pod - for a mixed drink that would be catostrophic everything is in exact ratio's (especially for high end tiki drinks) however some drinks you can be a bit off and it doesnt matter like a mojito
AlexKilpatrick

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Bairtiza Vario
Posted Sat Feb 16, 2013, 8:49pm

I have the regular Vario. I sometimes weigh and sometimes I don't.  It is not hard to weigh - I just grind into a cup and measure it on the scale.  Not a big deal.  Not quite as automatic as the W, but still very easy.  Most of the time I just grind into the portafilter and eyeball it.  

However, from what I understand if you have the W, you *have* to grind into the hopper.  There is no way to grind into the portafilter.  Not 100% sure - maybe someone with a W can confirm?  I don't ever use the hopper on my regular Vario.

Personally, I don't think it is worth the extra money for the W.
MerleApAmber

Espresso: Breville BES900
Grinder: Baratza Preciso + Esatto
Vac Pot: Yuma
Drip: bah-humbug
Roaster: Hot Top 2K P
Posted Sat Feb 16, 2013, 10:01pm

I think the point take away for not keeping beans in the hopper is they are exposed to the atmosphere, so, any time they're sitting and not grinding down into your cup they're becoming stale. Some of us will measure before grinding and just accept the process is done as soon as the grinder empties. Some of us come "close" with a trusted spoon or scoop or what-have-you and either process the beans left over as part of the clean up after - or - add the remaining amount of beans needed to make measured mass when grinder goes empty on the way through the last dose of the session.  Hobbs choice.

I too think along the lines of reproducible result as I bake/cook/bar tend with an eye toward being able to say just what changes when something does. With the grinder able to accept three 'preset measures' and at least on the esatto software the ability to vary from those set-points due to today's performance/behaviors I can trim the results in the porta filter, group head, and cup with just a bit of ease I didn't feel before.  

I have the 1/10 gram and 1/100 gram resolution scales too, and it's just very very convenient to have a dependable reproduce-able tare-able scale built right on without fiddling about with another.  Oh, and honestly, I WDT anyway so charges into the porta-filter were never a necessity in the first place.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Sat Feb 16, 2013, 11:21pm

The Vario W, due to the scale device means you grind into the grounds bin. BTW, a 1/3 of a hopper is more than enough to facilitate great shots, even grinding, and proper management of the scale (W) or timer (regular Vario.)
Grinding in to the bin means, you can give the grind a quick stir in the bin before dumping in to your basket. Not quite as much fun as grinding directly into the basket/PF. Both a timer and weigh offer assurance of more consistent shots.
The W is more expensive.
Both are very well suited for home use, as they are relatively quiet, very neat, retain less than .5gram on average.
Both allow grinding by the dose, though I feel the Preciso does this even better. However, with a timer or grind by weight, there is NO NEED to grind by the dose.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Vario v Vario W  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.264711856842)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+