Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Everything grinder?
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Everything...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
CheapBastid

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: None
Grinder: Infinity - talking myself...
Vac Pot: None
Drip: Mr Coffee
Roaster: None
Posted Fri Feb 15, 2013, 2:18pm
Subject: Re: Everything grinder?

The Cuisinart DBM-8 tends to clump the oily fines in a bunch on the front wall of the container.  I wonder, does the Infinity act similarly?
 View Profile Link to this post
MikeReilly

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Cimbali Junior Gaggia...
Grinder: Pharos CC45 Mazzer Mini
Drip: Cuisinart
Roaster: Behmor, I-Roast 2, Popper
Posted Tue Feb 19, 2013, 10:20am

I've used a Mazzer mini as an 'everything' grinder.  Some claim it's hard to get back to the right espresso setting from drip or press, but I have no issues with it.  My only problem with it is that it produces too many fines for press (I don't find it affects the flavour much, just end up with too many fines in the cup).  I would expect the SJ and Major to be similar in operation in this regard, but faster and better espresso.
Jmanespresso
Jmanespresso
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto II
Grinder: Compak K10 - Vario
Vac Pot: Yama-SY5/SY8/TCA5
Drip: V60, Beehouse, CCD
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Wed Feb 20, 2013, 9:04pm

The Cuisinart DBM-8  is not a real burr grinder.  Its a consumer toy.  It has things that LOOK like burrs, but aren't actually burrs, rather, round disks with two raised nubs that smash the beans.

Its a toy.  Worthless.  I know, I owned one.  Its best suited for pairing up with a steam toy espresso machine.  Funny enough, they're usually on the same shelf at the department stores...

The Capresso infinity is a capable grinder, using the conical burr set seen in so many entry level grinders.  Is it good for espresso?  Not really.  I would never suggest buying on for espresso use.  For brewed coffee, sure, by all means, check it out.

Follow Your Bliss

Coffee makes your constantly overcome your prejudices and re-evaluate your own "received wisdoms" when it comes to judging cup flavors. -Tom Owen, SweetMarias
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
CheapBastid

Posted Thu Feb 21, 2013, 12:25am

Jmanespresso Said:

The Cuisinart DBM-8  is... a toy.  Worthless.  

The Capresso infinity is a capable grinder

Posted February 20, 2013 link

So, it's worth the upgrade?  I just don't want to step up to the Capresso if I could step up to something else in the around $100 range that would be a better choice.

I'm leaning towards the OE Lido.
Jmanespresso
Jmanespresso

Espresso: Alex Duetto II
Grinder: Compak K10 - Vario
Vac Pot: Yama-SY5/SY8/TCA5
Drip: V60, Beehouse, CCD
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Thu Feb 21, 2013, 7:34am

Anything will be a huge upgrade from the Cuisinart.

Comparing the Capresso infinity to the OE Lido...  Well, I think(THINK)the Lido has the slight edge in grind quality and stepless adjustment, but its a hand grinder, not electric.  Im not too familiar with the OE Lido, forgive me.

But ANYTHING that is a real burr grinder will be leaps and bounds better then the Cuisinart.

Follow Your Bliss

Coffee makes your constantly overcome your prejudices and re-evaluate your own "received wisdoms" when it comes to judging cup flavors. -Tom Owen, SweetMarias
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, 2 Macap M4s, OE...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Thu Feb 21, 2013, 10:00am

The Lido is waaaay better than the Capresso Infinity...in my opinion...although not everyone agrees it is good for espresso (see third link below, first post).  Of course, I use it only for AP and Espro press.  I've yet to try it for espresso, but someone on HB who has the Macap M4 says he finds them comparable. Lido uses a 38mm conical burr set.

read this:  http://www.home-barista.com/grinders/owner-experience-with-lido-manual-coffee-grinder-by-orphan-espresso-t20869.html

this: Click Here (www.home-barista.com)  (Dave Stephens Roadshow review)

and this: Click Here (www.home-barista.com) (hand grinder showdown)

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
CheapBastid

Posted Thu Feb 21, 2013, 11:37am

Thanks for those links.  I really liked the showdown and the critical take on the Lido.

Part of my interest in upgrading my grinder is to future-proof myself from having to do this all again soon.  Seeing that the Lido really isn't going to shine as an espresso grinder makes me think that I'm better off with Capresso or the Hairo PFP mod as a transitional step.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Feb 25, 2013, 6:51am

another good way to go is to get a reasonable and quality grinder for use OTHER than espresso, such as the Encore or the Virtuoso  then when the time comes add a quality espresso grinder. You will have two grinders on the counter but you will also not have the mucking about with changing grind from one to the other either. YMMV!
Click Here (www.baratza.com)

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Everything...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Italian Coffee
Italian coffee beans, grinds and pods from Kimbo, LavAzza, Miscela d'Oro & Bristot. Qty. discounts!
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.243746995926)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+