Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Kicking around buying a new espresso grinder...let's discuss this proposition
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Kicking around...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
Author Messages
shakin_jake
shakin_jake
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Futurmat Rimini HX One...
Grinder: Rancilio MD 50
Vac Pot: Yama 5 cup
Drip: nada
Roaster: Hot Top B
Posted Sat Mar 2, 2013, 12:28am
Subject: Kicking around buying a new espresso grinder...let's discuss this proposition

I'm posting in the general forum instead of the espresso grinder forum because I feel like it.  I'm not looking for nerved up replies (get this, no get that).  Instead, I'm just looking for some casula banter hence I'm in the general discussion area.  A liitle bit about where I'm at with my espresso...

Strictly home barista, going on 5 years (come this April).  Started out with a PID'd Gaggia Classic someone else built.  Because I'm totally down with leche, I quickly outgrew the limitations of that machine's ability to froth milk (nuff siad).  So I went down the HX road, accumulating a Salvatore One Black which I used for maybe better than a year n a half?, started a restoration with a comm Gaggai (Rim-Ah- Knee) HX that has stalled a numerous amount of times, lately because of a lack of interest

I'm currently pulling shots with a Vetrano Quick Mill that I've owned/used for 2 years.  I do my own roasting & have been for the whole time.  I consume two doubles (shots) daily

Now I've used the same grinder these past 5 years, a well worn but loyal (read reliable) to a fault Ranchilio MD-50

So in the spirit of general espresso discussion, if I were to buy a new espresso grinder, what do you peeps recommend, and why?  At this point, if I were to find the funds  (another reason I'm in the gen discussion forum=:-), let's keep the price of new at or under $700.  Yeah, the K-30 seems like it would be fun to play with at twice that price, but it doesn't make the cut

let the fun begin=:-)

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.

Moderator moved to Espresso Grinder Forum
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Sat Mar 2, 2013, 1:23am
Subject: Deciding on a new $700 and under grinder.

shakin_jake Said:

I'm posting in the general forum instead of the espresso grinder forum because I feel like it.  I'm not looking for nerved up replies (get this, no get that).  Instead, I'm just looking for some casula banter hence I'm in the general discussion area.  A liitle bit about where I'm at with my espresso...

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.

Posted March 2, 2013 link

Jake, because I FEEL LIKE IT, I'm going to say your opening sentence could be taken the wrong way, if you know what I mean.
"Nerved up replies?"
Most here only want to help. If you state "My limit is $xxxxxxxx, then we'll honor that. Those that don't usually get called out for wasting everyone's time.
We ARE serious here, admittedly so, so "casual banter" is usually confined to non specific subjects, while (to US) SEROUS issues like a competent espresso grinder (THE MOST IMPORTANT PIECE OF THE ESPRESSO PUZZLE) are deemed important enough to take seriously.

On that note, I'd strongly suggest you edit this posts opening, invite members to comment, within your price parameters of course.
If you like, I, or another moderator will be MOST happy to move your thread to the Forum to which it belongs, the Espresso Grinders Forum.
I can guarantee you will be treated with respect here.

EDIT: you also need to shorten your subject line for responses.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Sat Mar 2, 2013, 4:22am
Subject: Re: Kicking around buying a new espresso grinder...

shakin_jake Said:

Now I've used the same grinder these past 5 years, a well worn but loyal (read reliable) to a fault Ranchilio MD-50

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.

Hi Jake - let's start with what you don't like with your MD-50 and work from there. : )

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
 View Profile Link to this post
Buckley

Posted Sat Mar 2, 2013, 8:43am
Subject: Re: Kicking around buying a new espresso grinder..

Dear Jake,

Since you would like a gentle, respectful and serviceable reply to your post, let's start out that way.  What Eric asked may be the best approach to your inquiry.
Specifically, how do you feel about machine size (counter clearance), grind retention, weight (plastic versus metal) and resale value?  From your provided usage, I assume you would like a dedicated espresso grinder and not a grind-all unit.  As Eric implied, you did not offer why you want to replace your current grinder but I also assume that you would like a unit that performs better (unlocks more flavor spectrum) than your current MD-50.

Now that I have (hopefully) engaged your interest in some congenial correspondence, please allow me to second Robert's (justified, IMHO) reaction to your post.  Again, trying to be specific, you write:

shakin_jake Said:

I'm not looking for nerved up replies (get this, no get that).  Instead, I'm just looking for some casula banter

shakin_jake Said:

what do you peeps recommend, and why?

It is hard to recommend something like a grinder in broad strokes because (a) they are all so different structurally and operationally in such a variety of ways and (b) very few of us have experience with a number of grinders that would adequately sample the coffee grinder universe.  So,  it is hard to see how your question could be addressed without some degree of conviction that might step on your nerves.  Do be gentle with us, as well.

Buckley
diggi
diggi

Espresso: Spaz vivaldi S1 V2
Grinder: B Vario, OE LIDO
Drip: Chemex, Espro Press,...
Roaster: Poppery I
Posted Sat Mar 2, 2013, 8:53am

Buckley Said:

Since you would like a gentle, respectful and serviceable reply to your post, let's start out that way.   Do be gentle with us, as well.

......Finding it hard to .... hold.....back.......
We're talking about a flipping coffee grinder!!!!! not the death of a loved one.....

This thread is going to get weird really fast.
Buckley

Posted Sat Mar 2, 2013, 9:23am

diggi Said:

This thread is going to get weird really fast.

Promise?
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Sat Mar 2, 2013, 9:24am

EricBNC Said:

Hi Jake - let's start with what you don't like with your MD-50 and work from there. : )

+

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
GVDub

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Sat Mar 2, 2013, 9:51am
Subject: Re: Kicking around buying a new espresso grinder.

Agree with Eric and several others. You don't really say quite what you're looking for ("a good grinder" being pretty non-specific) or what you don't like about your current setup, so it's hard to know where to go.

I"d also add that sometimes you find something that works really well for you, even though everybody else says it's a bad idea (or, at least, not a good one). Case in point, the Gaggia MD85 I picked up from Russel last spring. It's a monster that will never fit under any standard counter height—a full-blown commercial espresso grinder with 85mm flat burrs that towers over my coffee area and will grind 18-21 grams for a double in under 3 seconds. Others here have had one and found it inconvenient for them. I love mine. I don't mind the few seconds it takes to brush out the chute after grinding, since the shots I've been pulling have been exceptional. And the doser sweeps clean, so, with the timer i added, grinding for a single dose is no problem. If I have company and am pulling multiple drinks in a row, the doser makes that coovenient. So I'm very happy with a grinder that others have found to not suit their purposes.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sat Mar 2, 2013, 10:45am
Subject: Kicking around buying a new espresso grinder...let's discuss this proposition

Just look at people's profiles and see what grinders they list.  What they are using.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Sat Mar 2, 2013, 11:10am

I still have no freakin' idea why this is in the "General Discussion" forum, nor do I understand what the difference is between

shakin_jake Said:

(get this, no get that)

and

shakin_jake Said:

if I were to buy a new espresso grinder, what do you peeps recommend, and why?

Oh well, what the hell . . .

Following my personal approach to equipment recommendations -- taking the individual's budget and adding a 10 percent "fudge factor," I would make the following suggestions:

Dosered Grinders:
listed alphabetically
Compak K-6
Mazzer Super Jolly

Doserless Grinders:
listed alphabetically
Macap M4 digital
Quamar M80

. . . but what I'd really do is get a USED SuperJolly and a new set of burrs, and save the rest.

The key is how YOU use a grinder -- which you haven't told us.  Do you single-dose, or leave beans in the hopper?  Do you weigh your dose? Before or after you grind?  etc., etc., etc.

Your best bet may be a Baratza Vario or a Vario-W.

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Kicking around...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.366491794586)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+