Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
quality and noise question - Bodum Bistro vs Capresso infinity plastic
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > quality and...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
tinyenormous

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: gaggia coffee
Grinder: bodium bistro burr / Hario...
Drip: v60 / aeropress
Posted Sun Mar 24, 2013, 10:24am
Subject: quality and noise question - Bodum Bistro vs Capresso infinity plastic

I have a bodum bistro currently. I mostly use it for drip, with the occasional pour over or aeropress thrown in. I also have a new-to-me Gaggia coffee coming in the mail. I am considering upgrading to the capresso infinty. I have a few questions:

1)The bistro sounds like a freight train running through my kitchen. How does the capresso rank noise-wise?

2)I am getting a feeling that the capresso has a better espresso grind. Is that actually true?

3)Due to some bring complications I can't get the ss (stainless steel shell) version of the capresso. Does the abs shell make a big difference in static or noise?
 View Profile Link to this post
myallawala
myallawala
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Mazzer Major & Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Yama Burner
Drip: Hario V60 & Chemex
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Mar 24, 2013, 8:54pm
Subject: Re: quality and noise question - Bodum Bistro vs Capresso infinity plastic

Are you talking about the ~$100 Bodum Bistro Conical Burr Grinder or the ~$30 Bodum Bistro blade grinder? If you are talking about the more expensive one with the hopper then you most likely won't see a big difference. In fact, both are pretty much not suited to espresso, assuming you're using a non-pressurized gaggia handle. I have seen Kyle Glanville use a Capresso Infinity on a Silvia and actually choked it, but maybe someone else can comment on that. That still doesn't change the fact that the money spent probably wouldn't be worth it. It would be worth it at $200+ when you look into something like the Breville Smart Grinder, Baratza Virtuoso, etc..

I have a Capresso now and the sound is pretty OK. It seems on par with my Vario but infinitely louder than my Mazzer. Maybe it's less quiet than my Vario.. I don't remember entirely. I put it away when I got my Mazzer.
dyqik

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07 PM
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso...
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Bona-Vita, CCD, Aeropress.
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Modded Poppers
Posted Mon Mar 25, 2013, 7:13am
Subject: Re: quality and noise question - Bodum Bistro vs Capresso infinity plastic

Neither the Bodum Bistro Burr or the Capresso Infinity can grind well for espresso.  My Bistro couldn't get fine enough, and even if it could, it would only have one or two steps in the espresso range, and wouldn't be giving a good espresso type grind.  The same is true of the Capresso Infinity, which has very similar burrs and adjustment mechanism to the Bistro.  If you want to improve your grind on that kind of budget for espresso use, get a hand grinder that can do espresso grind.  If you can spend a bit more, look at either a dedicated stepless espresso grinder like the Ascaso I-1, or a Baratza Preciso or Vario.

Fineness isn't the only issue with grinding for espresso by the way, you also need the right kind of grind, with little in the way of fines, and preferably a double peak in the ground size distribution.
tinyenormous

Espresso: gaggia coffee
Grinder: bodium bistro burr / Hario...
Drip: v60 / aeropress
Posted Mon Mar 25, 2013, 4:24pm

myallawala Said:

Are you talking about the ~$100 Bodum Bistro Conical Burr Grinder or the ~$30 Bodum Bistro blade grinder?

Posted March 24, 2013 link

I have the ~$100 one. It's good to know that the Capresso isn't much of a step up. I think I may save a few bucks and go the hand ground route.
myallawala
myallawala
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Mazzer Major & Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Yama Burner
Drip: Hario V60 & Chemex
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Mar 25, 2013, 4:31pm

tinyenormous Said:

I have the ~$100 one. It's good to know that the Capresso isn't much of a step up. I think I may save a few bucks and go the hand ground route.

Posted March 25, 2013 link

It would work but for me it was such an awful experience. And it drove people crazy--all the grinding. It took maybe 30s-1m to grind my dose and sometimes my shot would be totally garbage. Dialing in was really a pain. Making consecutive drinks was just painful for me. I found a Vario on sale and put the order in and just everything about the experience changed. You might consider selling the Bodum and using the money you'd have spent on the Capresso and find a used Breville Smart or MDF or maybe even the Krups GX610050 (I had this one and with a burr modification you can probably use it for the Silvia).
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > quality and...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.229110956192)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+