Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Should I return my new Mazzer Mini E?
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Should I return...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
AustinDave

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Mar 28, 2013, 2:01pm
Subject: Should I return my new Mazzer Mini E?

I've had my Silvia + Rocky combo for nearly a decade now.  I pull my morning shot, usually a double Macchiato, and I've been getting pretty consistent shots.

A week ago I decided to start upgrading.  Naturally the first advice I was given, and which I knew was coming, was I needed to start with the grinder.  I always wanted a doserless because I grind on demand; loading only enough beans for my shots.  The Rocky doser was messy.  I also didn't want a machine with a lot of plastic nor one with too many electronic controls (this despite the fact I've pid'ed the Silvia nearly from day one and would never go without that).  And the name Mazzer, who wouldn't want that on their counter?

I bought a Mini-e type B.  Love the looks and build. Got it out of the box, got the grind to feel right, and started pulling shots.  And they sucked.  Channeling, early blonding, blech!

Frightened and dismayed, I started reading up on what could be the cause.  There are certainly lots of stories of problems and a few fairly involved modifications to "fix" the grinder.  But I don't really understand why this grinder is so difficult.  The main reasons given are clumping.  I've tried a little WDT and it helped somewhat, but it wasn't a magic cure.  

I'm wondering why clumping is made out to be the problem.  The clumps break up easily.  Won't the compression from tamping just take care of them?  I've also wondered why static is such a problem on doserless as well; wouldn't a doser also have static issues, with grinds sticking the inside of the doser walls?  Internally the chutes are the same.

I've got a few more days I can evaluate the grinder and still return it.  What should I try?  This grinder seems to have a finer grind than the Rocky, so one thought is perhaps I'm grinding too fine and not tamping enough.  

I don't want to have to do extra steps with a grinder that cost twice as much as my Rocky that I didn't have to do before!
 View Profile Link to this post
JonR10
JonR10

Espresso: E61 Legend, Livietta,...
Grinder: Robur, B-Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario Tabletop, Yama...
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: 1-lb US Roaster, Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Mar 28, 2013, 2:48pm
Subject: Re: Should I return my new Mazzer Mini E?

grind finer.  adjust the grind to get correct flow from your usual weighed dose.

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
OttoMatic

Espresso: Brewtus IV-R
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario,...
Drip: Capresso MT500+
Roaster: Cast iron dutch oven
Posted Thu Mar 28, 2013, 3:42pm

Nah, I wouldn't return it because your shots suck.  I agree with the previous poster; grind finer, work on dialing the grind in general.

I'm using the Mini-E Type B, and while I have some minor complaints about it, I generally get good looking shots.  I considered returning it, but ended up keeping it.  I was talking with a pro barista, and he said it's a fine grinder and to not worry too much about the gear.  Sure, there are better grinders, but I think you're going to have to dump 2x into the price.

Good luck.
dyno

Espresso: Salvatore The Club/Oscar
Grinder: K6 Pro/Super Mini E
Posted Thu Mar 28, 2013, 4:40pm

The anti-static screen solves one problem but introduces others.

In stock form, the distribution of grinds into the basket is atrocious.  The flow through the puck strikingly uneven.  With the anti-static screen removed but using a dosing funnel to control the static spray of grinds I've seen much better looking shots.

( Click Here (www.orphanespresso.com) )

I've relegated my Mini E to decaf however as I prefer using the doser on my other Mini.  Both grinders have the same SJ burrs.

Removing the anti-static screen is dead easy - but be prepared for flying coffee grinds.
erik82

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Olympia Cremina 2013
Grinder: HG One 83mm #0083
Drip: Kalita Wave, Aeropress,...
Roaster: Gene Cafe
Posted Fri Mar 29, 2013, 2:48am

Give the burrs some time to break-in. New burrs aren't really consistent for the first couple of pounds and can give some problems that will go away once they break in. Putting SJ burrs in the Mini will also improve grind quality but they also need to break in.
Markarian
Markarian

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi WT-WC
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP, HG One
Vac Pot: Bunn Trifecta MB
Drip: Moka, Aeropress, Hario V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Mar 29, 2013, 2:54pm

I just restored a vintage SJ and put new burrs in it. Never used a Mazzer, so I will try and compare notes with you!

Also, I virtually eliminated side-channeling by doing three things:

1) Tapping around the bottom of my PF gently with the tamper to settle the grounds

2) Nutating gently to pack the grounds around the side

3) Wiping my basket with a microfiber cloth instead of a towel and cleaning it with dishsoap and hot water daily
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Fri Mar 29, 2013, 4:10pm

erik82 Said:

Give the burrs some time to break-in. New burrs aren't really consistent for the first couple of pounds and can give some problems that will go away once they break in. Putting SJ burrs in the Mini will also improve grind quality but they also need to break in.

Posted March 29, 2013 link

+1, ya beat me to iut.
At least 10#'s for mazzer burrs, I discovered long ago. YMMV.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Fri Mar 29, 2013, 4:31pm

Yeah, new burrs need to be broken in...as mentioned already. Also, clumping will decrease after break in as well. Once the grinder insides are well oiled (coffee oils) the clumping will subside somewhat, if not completely.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
Markarian
Markarian

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi WT-WC
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP, HG One
Vac Pot: Bunn Trifecta MB
Drip: Moka, Aeropress, Hario V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Mar 29, 2013, 5:52pm

Does that mean I literally have to waste 10 pounds of coffee before I can get a usable shot??
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Fri Mar 29, 2013, 8:14pm

Nope! Just means you'll have to work a little harder in the "beginning". Though...your technique ought to be pretty darn good by now...so you really just have to mind your p's & q's

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Should I return...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.269562959671)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+