Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
What WOULD be a step up from a LeLit PL 53?
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > What WOULD be a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
dougz

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07
Grinder: Lelit PL53
Drip: Technivorm
Posted Tue Apr 2, 2013, 7:33am
Subject: What WOULD be a step up from a LeLit PL 53?

I just bought a Bezzera BZ07 (my Gaggia finally cavved), and the 'vibe' I'm getting is 'Great!  Now you just have to upgrade that grinder!'.

I realize you get what you pay for with grinders..  Just wondering what's so inferior about the one I have, and what a true step UP would look like, and why..

I don't get clumps, it's stepless, doserless, and I only use it for espresso..

Is it burr quality?  Built in scale?  Noise (the 53 IS noisy as all get out..  But I don't mind it)?

I'm not ready to upgrade my grinder, not for some time (2 years max, hopefully)..  I just want to get an idea.

Thanks!
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Tue Apr 2, 2013, 8:14am
Subject: Re: What WOULD be a step up from a LeLit PL 53?

burr size, motor strength and grind particle distribution can all be improved upon.  Your grinder is fine, but you will notice a huge improvement in the cup if you upgrade into another class of grinders.

Since you have upwards of 2 years to mull it over...consider flat v conical, overall grinder size (some large format grinders can fit under cabinets with short hoppers), whether you want a doser or not, whether you want electric or manual (think OE Pharos or HG one), whether you'd consider used gear, and what your maximum budget will be (and plan on spending that or more).  There are other variables to consider, like timers or electronic controls for presetting dose weight, for instance.

I'd start by considering the Mazzer Mini class or a Baratza Vario (yeah, I know, people say it's more comparable to the Super Jolly), then work my way up from there - in my mind - but you should definitely buy the most grinder you can possibly afford and accommodate on your "coffee bar".  Read reviews on the ones you'd think about here on CG and on home barista, read the specs on the manufacturer's websites or the online sales company's websites, look at the photos many times, read the reviews again, look and see what used ones are going for, etc.  Eventually, you'll get a good idea what you want, and then you can start projecting how long until you can acquire it.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
dougz

Posted Tue Apr 2, 2013, 8:35am

Thanks, Emradguy!

Used would be good, if the burrs were in good shape..  But it's rare that there are people selling near me (Vancouver's closest, and THAT is 1,000 km away)..

People seem to like the Vario W, but just looking at price, that seems more a step sideways..  If I was going to upgrade I'd get something in the $800 range, max (I SAY that, but look what happened to my $800 Espresso machine budget!), and that would definitely be 2 years away, unless I ran into some 'found' money or something, and my dishwasher can hang on that long..

I would also want an electric one..  Size, I could make anything work, if it came to it..
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Tue Apr 2, 2013, 8:51am

yeah, well...like you said, you're cool with your Lelit, so at least you're not in a rush.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
dougz

Posted Tue Apr 2, 2013, 8:55am

I'll be interested to see what improvements (if any) I get with the BZ07!  STILL not here (damn Easter!)..

I wish I lived in a bigger center, so I could check out the set ups of other aficionados!

Maybe next time I'm in Vancouver I can see if there's fellow geeks that feel like hanging out..

Edit:  LOL  Now you have me looking the OE Pharos..  LOL

If I can get a Super Jolly grind for $250 (say $300 with customs, shipping) that would be an attractive option..  Looks like it would be more labour intensive and have quite a bit of tweaking involved, though..  But I only make 2 espressos at a time, very rarely do I have a bunch of people over where I'd be hard pressed to grind out enough coffee for everyone with a manual..  Hmmmm....
dougz

Posted Wed Apr 3, 2013, 4:20pm

Wow, thanks very much indeed for mentioning the Pharos!  Looks like a good grinder, and I wouldn't mind at all a little more hassle if it means I can get a Titan class grind for a fraction of the price!
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > What WOULD be a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.247539997101)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+