Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Restored Vintage Super Jolly
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Restored Vintage...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Markarian
Markarian
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi WT-WC
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP, HG One
Vac Pot: Bunn Trifecta MB
Drip: Moka, Aeropress, Hario V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Mar 31, 2013, 12:50pm
Subject: Restored Vintage Super Jolly

So here are pics of my find! I bought this "Brevetto" grinder off of local CL for $120. In a former life, it was used in Seattle's Best Coffee and was badged "Illycafe" with a sticker on the back. It ran, but it ran really rough. After a thorough cleaning, pounding in a new upper bearing, throwing in some new burrs, applying a new coat of paint, a new doser return spring, and a Mazzer nameplate to top it all off...it runs whisper-quiet and good as new! I've never used a commercial grinder before, so this is definitely a change of pace. I applied the electrical tape sweeper mod and the Schnozzola before using it, so there hasn't been much of a mess. Even though the burrs are new, I've dialed it in with about 2lbs of coffee so far and have gotten some pretty decent shots. Total cost: A little under $200, not including sweat equity. Was this a decent deal?

I forgot to take "Before" pics, but the previous owner reposted their ad so I could show them off:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/for/3712950620.html

Any idea of its age?

Markarian: 8603103003_25c9dfcbdd.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
Markarian
Markarian

Posted Sun Mar 31, 2013, 12:54pm
Subject: Re: Restored Vintage Super Jolly

Front View

Markarian: 8604204736_b3da562c47.jpg
(Click for larger image)
Markarian
Markarian

Posted Sun Mar 31, 2013, 12:56pm

New nameplate fits right in the peg holes!

Markarian: 8603104183_5ece27d34f.jpg
(Click for larger image)
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Apr 1, 2013, 9:23am

Conggrats, it is a lot of work to go through the grinder like you did, you should be happy now. About the tape thing.... I favor this over the tape but YMMV! http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machinemods/562237
I went through this grinder last year. It started it's second life as a well used and unloved yet abused ex coffee shop grinder. It was kind of light grey base color with lots of chips, stains etc. It was one of these but which one I don't know. http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machinemods/555826

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
myallawala
myallawala

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Mazzer Major & Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Yama Burner
Drip: Hario V60 & Chemex
Posted Mon Apr 1, 2013, 6:14pm

Wow. I need to do this with the 18 year old Major I picked up recently. It looks like hell but it runs SO well. How'd the painting process go? Any advice?
Markarian
Markarian

Posted Mon Apr 1, 2013, 11:21pm

Painting it was very tough. My friend helped me mask off all the parts and we used Krylon to paint. But the weather's been cooler here lately, so we went through several coats before it stopped crinkling up. It was just as well, because the original finish was deeply gouged and pitted. My advice is to go slow and steady and make sure you don't overspray. It's so easy to put too much on and have it running down the sides.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Posted Tue Apr 2, 2013, 4:10am

To refinish, disassemble the Doser, knobs, cord, fork etc then sand the old finish to remove all scratches etc. Once it is smooth then mask off the motor and grind chamber and prime the whole grinder then sand again to smooth the surface of the paint. If all the old marks are gone spray at least two coats of color sanding with fine (400 grit) between coats then reassemble. This would be a great time to replace any parts that are suspect and do the CBSJ mod to the Doser.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

myallawala
myallawala

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Mazzer Major & Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Yama Burner
Drip: Hario V60 & Chemex
Posted Thu Apr 4, 2013, 6:48pm

calblacksmith Said:

To refinish, disassemble the Doser, knobs, cord, fork etc then sand the old finish to remove all scratches etc. Once it is smooth then mask off the motor and grind chamber and prime the whole grinder then sand again to smooth the surface of the paint. If all the old marks are gone spray at least two coats of color sanding with fine (400 grit) between coats then reassemble. This would be a great time to replace any parts that are suspect and do the CBSJ mod to the Doser.

Posted April 2, 2013 link

What did you do for the side vents?

I almost want to gut it and just have it powdercoated but I understand the entire assembly would need to be blasted in the oven to do so?

I also have a minor issue where my knob (it's an older one so it's only on/off) isn't very responsive anymore--it might shut off instantly or in five seconds or not at all (in which case I flip it back and forth again). This is minor since I weigh my dose but I'm considering swapping the switch for something easier on my wrist than that wicked old knob or putting a timer on. I always look at that massive hopper and think I'll put it on and use it one day..

Edit: I just looked at both of your Jollies and it looks like they don't have side vents like my major. There's a big fan under the burrs on my grinder and I guess that's for the air exchange. Thoughts?
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Posted Sat Apr 6, 2013, 7:58pm

Your right in that the SJ does not have vents. However I have painted Majors also, with those I just angle the spray gun so that I  don't spray directly into them.
You are also right that powder coat requires baking to fuse the coat. There is a way to remove the motor but I have not had the need to do so. I have a hard doam plug that fits into the grind chamber. I tape off the exposed motor where the Doser fits. The switch, forks, Doser etc are removed and all holes are taped over from the inside. I also remove the Mazzer badge if it is still on the grinder. You can get away with this once and just possibly twice by straightening the pins from the inside. The badge is held into the grinder by two pins that are part of the badge. They are fragile and easily broken so be careful.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.

Jmanespresso
Jmanespresso

Espresso: Alex Duetto II
Grinder: Compak K10 - Vario
Vac Pot: Yama-SY5/SY8/TCA5
Drip: V60, Beehouse, CCD
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Sun Apr 7, 2013, 1:37pm

Well, once you remove the doser, you expose the whole inner chamber.  Its simple to just stuff some newspaper inside the sides of the grinder.  This will stop paint from getting INSIDE the grinder, but, nicely, the vents will get completely painted.

Painting is a double edged sword.  Its not rocket science, but its not something you can just do.  Ive been lucky enough to have someone teach me, who spent 25 years as a professional painter.  But there is a downside to that knowledge.  You notice bad painting.  Everytime you go somewhere, like your friends houses, who did their own remodeling or whatever, and they painted.. You can see the flaws.  But they cant.  Luckily, if you dont say anything, they will likely never see the flaws anyway.  Ignorance is bliss :)  (and you wont look like a mean friend lol)

Follow Your Bliss

Coffee makes your constantly overcome your prejudices and re-evaluate your own "received wisdoms" when it comes to judging cup flavors. -Tom Owen, SweetMarias
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Restored Vintage...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.341775894165)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+