Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Grinder Died - Update  - Excellent Support From Manufacturer.
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Grinder Died -...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Maddie

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Prefer Moka Pot
Roaster: Toaster Oven Drum
Posted Thu Apr 4, 2013, 5:24pm
Subject: Grinder Died - Update  - Excellent Support From Manufacturer.

I am new to home espresso making. I was making great coffee right away. Then suddenly my coffee wouldn't grind fine enough for espresso. All my shots came out sour, the machine continually jammed. I thought it was my home roasted beans, so I took it apart, cleaned it, put it back together and bought some new beans from the micro roaster. Same thing happened. Then the machine just stopped working all together.

I see by these forums that lots of people are having problems with their Baratza's. I'm annoyed, frustrated, I've made a mess continually turning the machine upside down to remove beans, and I've tossed a small fortune in coffee down the drain. I am not mechanically inclined, and I would have thought a grinder that cost so much would last longer. I want to get it repaired, sell it and never have another Baratza again.

Is there any grinder on the market that I will not have to frequently adjust? Under 1K. I'd prefer a step grinder, so I can easily switch between moka pot, espresso, and pour over, but at this point, I'll even take a stepless grinder just for espresso and hand grind beans for my moka pot.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

------------------------------
Update: When I wrote this post I was quite frustrated. I had heard that Baratza had excellent support. I contacted them and they sent me a new grinder along with a return shipping label for the old grinder. I have to say their support was outstanding. I've gone back to roasting my beans in a fry pan and I'm once again pulling excellet espresso.
All in all, I am glad I kept the grinder. If I had of been an experienced home espresso maker, I would have realized there was something wrong with my grinder long before I got so frustrated trying to pull shot after shot.

All in all I am glad I stuck with the Baratza. I have to admit the quality of the grind is excellent for espresso, moka pot, and even drip.

I am not sure if the beans I roasted in the toaster oven damaged teh grinder, or not, but Baratza exchanged it without questions. I have decided to keep the grinder, and chalk it up to a learning curve.

Thanks for your comments IMAWriter...
 View Profile Link to this post
BarryR

Espresso: CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Clever...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B2-K
Posted Thu Apr 4, 2013, 6:57pm
Subject: Re: Baratza Precisio Died After 3 Months

Have you contacted their customer service?
They're exceptionally responsive.

You can email them or call. You'll get a quick response.

I've had a Preciso for over a year. I did have trouble with my first one and the burr holder cracked a few times. By about time 3, I suggested to customer service that maybe something was wrong with my grinder.

They offered to replace it. Shipped me a new one with return postage for my old one and never even asked me for a credit card number to cover them while awaiting the return.

Since then (about eight months now ?? I've had no problems at all.

It actually is an excellent grinder for the price. Particularly if you want to be able to do more than just espresso.

Call customer service and you may find your problem solved.
Bob_M
Bob_M
Posted Fri Apr 5, 2013, 6:16am

In my 6 years as an espresso hobbyist I have owned as many grinders. My last, the recently introduced HG-1, will probably be my final. There is one thread on this forum about it and several over on H-B. They come in 2 massive, 71mm and 83mm, conical burr sizes and both are less than $1000.00. In my experience  with the 83mm version, the grind quality compares favorably with my Compac K 10. Like the Precuso it is designed for home use but unlike the preciso it is built like an anvil. EDIT: I forgot to add. Get ur Presico fixed and keep it. It makes an excellent brew grinder. And as far as I can tell its far more reliable in that mode.
dspear99ca

Espresso: Gaggia Coffee
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Posted Fri Apr 5, 2013, 2:09pm

I've commented on Baratza before, I also own one.

In the hierarchy of espresso grinders, the Preciso does not cost "all that much".  It is THE CHEAPEST motorized grinder on the market (by a decent margin) that gives you the level of grind quality and consistency that will allow you to make VERY GOOD espresso.

Baratza has put out a grinder whose performance equals grinders in the over $500 range.  Its' next nearest competitor price-wise is another Baratza, the Vario.  In order to pack the performance of a grinder one-and-a-half times its' price into the Preciso, certain sacrifices had to be made.  There was no historical "very good yet inexpensive" grinder market data that Baratza could have used to determine which cost-savings design features were going to work long-term and which weren't... only use out in the real world can give this data.  Quality/durability of parts has been an ongoing issue as real-world use flushes out weaknesses in the design, but you need to realize that Baratza has stood 100% behind their products, both within AND BEYOND the warranty period.  They have already made one major modification to the gearing and have put new gearboxes into any Preciso returned with defects at no charge.

I would bet good money that if you call Baratza customer service, they will offer to air-ship you a new one and pay return postage on your broken one.  Had you bothered to call them when you first started experiencing problems you may have avoided what sounds like a prolonged unpleasant chunk of time with an underperforming grinder.

The Preciso has allowed many people who could otherwise not afford it to enter the espresso game at a reasonbly high level for not much cash.  I, for one, am thankful that they are making this effort.  Having done my homework before buying, I made the informed decision to buy a Preciso, a relatively new and unproven machine,  knowing that it may spend some time in the shop in its' first year... a couple of days without it is not going to kill me and, let's be honest, I needed that extra $200 I didn't spend on a more expensive grinder for other things.

FWIW, I've emptied mine many times, you just dump into a mixing bowl.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Fri Apr 5, 2013, 3:10pm

Dave and Barry have offered excellent council, Maddie.
FWIW, I really wish new members would do as was suggested, which is contact the manufacturer. They don't like seeing this sort of post any more than you like posting it.
If it was me, I make the rule for new (Jr) members 50 posts before a rant..positive OR negative can be a new thread.
The Thread Title is, IMO incendiary, as well as is the content.
A good rule is to allow your anger, frustration, etc to dissipate a bit before coming on a public forum.

By the way, Maddie, I( read on your profile you "home-roasted" beans in a toaster oven. For all you/we know, you under-roasted the center of the bean, causing your grinder damage. Thus, even store bought beans didn't have a chance.

PLEASE contact Kyle or Kyra at Baratza, explain the situation clearly and calmly, and watch some of the best CS in the business come to life for you.
Not sure when the SCAA show begins, ois perhaps sooner than later is best. if the show is going on now, perhaps allow a few days for them to respond.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
KyleAnderson
KyleAnderson

Espresso: Dalla Corte Mini
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Fri Apr 5, 2013, 3:30pm

Hi Maddie,
Sorry to hear of the poor performance of your Preciso. We have made numerous incremental improvements and refinements to the Preciso over the past year, all geared toward increased durability and reliability. Since i don't know where you purchased it or the serial number, i can't say if yours has all the latest improvements or not. Please contact support@baratza.com and we will quickly determine what is wrong with your grinder and get you back to pulling perfect shots on your Silvia. Feel free to call at 1-877-701-2021 and speak with a tech. Chances are it's a minor part we can send you to correct the problem. If not, then we'll immediately get a replacement grinder headed your way. Feel free to contact me directly at kyle@baratza.com if you aren't quickly and completely satisfied our support and with your Preciso.
Regards, Kyle (President, Baratza)
Dooglas
Dooglas

Espresso: Vibiemme Junior
Grinder: Ascaso, Baratza
Drip: Bonavita, Bodum press
Roaster: GeneCafe, Behmor
Posted Sat Apr 6, 2013, 9:47am

For what it's worth, I've owned two Baratza grinders. I have given both heavy use and they have given excellent service. I bought the first used and later gave it to my son (who still uses it). The second (purchased new) is still grinding away after 5 years. My experiences with Baratza seeking advice or replacement parts have universily been excellent. I would advise you to work with them to get your Preciso repaired or replaced as appropriate. (and hey, how often do you get advice on CG from the President of the company - answer: when you are talking about a Baratza grinder or a Behmor roaster)
sharky
sharky

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Compak K3 Touch
Posted Sun Apr 7, 2013, 8:50pm

Wow, that is service!  I may own a Compak K3 but after seeing the President of Baratza step up and post that, I am very impressed! What a company . . . Bravo!!

KyleAnderson Said:

Hi Maddie,
Sorry to hear of the poor performance of your Preciso. We have made numerous incremental improvements and refinements to the Preciso over the past year, all geared toward increased durability and reliability. Since i don't know where you purchased it or the serial number, i can't say if yours has all the latest improvements or not. Please contact support@baratza.com and we will quickly determine what is wrong with your grinder and get you back to pulling perfect shots on your Silvia. Feel free to call at 1-877-701-2021 and speak with a tech. Chances are it's a minor part we can send you to correct the problem. If not, then we'll immediately get a replacement grinder headed your way. Feel free to contact me directly at kyle@baratza.com if you aren't quickly and completely satisfied our support and with your Preciso.
Regards, Kyle (President, Baratza)

Posted April 5, 2013 link

IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Sun Apr 7, 2013, 9:27pm

As I'm no longer a moderator, I can't get my sticky hands on any of your posts any longer! LOL (actually, moderators cannot alter anyone's posting other than to move it to the proper thread)
So,  I wonder Maddie, if you'd be willing to change the title of your thread to reflect the positive up-turn of events? As a Baratza grinder owner, I KNOW you will be happy with whatever solution Baratza presents to you.

If I was new to the coffee scene here, your thread title could possibly turn me away from this product, though I'm SURE that was not your intent. However, to a vendor or manufacturer having this so public is like having less than a 100% eBay rating.

Just my .02.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Grinder Died -...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.273537874222)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+