Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Hand grinders for expresso and aero, which of these?
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Hand grinders...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Tue Apr 9, 2013, 8:23am
Subject: Re: Hand grinders for expresso and aero, which of these?

I would go with the Skerton.  I know the Slim and the Porlex is easier to hold but with the Skerton you can do the following.  Get OE's PFP mod to allow for good course grind as well as add a simple M8 posilock nut to convert the grind settings to stepless.  The larger grounds holder is noce for large drip grinds as well.  You can even use a reg mason jar.  The Skerton IMO is bigger and better.
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
McAldo

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Apr 9, 2013, 1:37pm

alterview Said:

Good choice! I really like my Hario Slim. It served briefly for my espresso setup but is now dedicated to my Aeropress until I can up grade to a Lido. The Slim can work okay for espresso but I noticed a very significant increase in quality when I got a Pharos.

BTW- I think a Slim and Aeropress make a near perfect travel/camping setup.

Cheers,
rj

Posted April 8, 2013 link

Thank!
Had a look to Pharos and Lido, they look quite another league, but definitely over my budget. That's a very interesting site, the graph showing grinding performance made me chuckle :D We really live in a measurable world, full of figures, but very informative.
Not planning any camping but when I travel to visit my folks I'll  make  a bit of space in my luggage for the grinder.
Last time I brought them seven samples from the algerian coffee shop here in London, and they quite enjoyed them, so I guess they'll enjoy freshly ground beans even more :)
 View Profile Link to this post
McAldo

Posted Tue Apr 9, 2013, 1:50pm

Burner0000 Said:

I would go with the Skerton.  I know the Slim and the Porlex is easier to hold but with the Skerton you can do the following.  Get OE's PFP mod to allow for good course grind as well as add a simple M8 posilock nut to convert the grind settings to stepless.  The larger grounds holder is noce for large drip grinds as well.  You can even use a reg mason jar.  The Skerton IMO is bigger and better.

Posted April 9, 2013 link

Thanks for the advice!
Thing is, I was hoping to steer clear from modding. I know that probably for aficionados like you is banal stuff and well worth the effort, or even simply essential.
But I am slightly worried to get entangled in yet another complex hobby :D
McAldo

Posted Tue Apr 9, 2013, 3:28pm

dspear99ca Said:

Don't worry about the machine.  The grinder and the beans will have a much larger impact on your espresso than the machine.

Thanks, that's what I am hoping :)
McAldo

Posted Tue Apr 9, 2013, 3:42pm

CMIN Said:

I have a Hario Slim from before I got the Preciso, for the money (think it was $30 Amazon Prime?), it's a great grinder for fine or coarse needs. It is stepped so you'll pry find your self on a setting that is a bit too fine or a bit too coarse if you click back 1, so you can find a range then adjust your dose. It's easier to hold then the Skerton and it's top is sealed so no beans and chaff will be pop corning out.

The Delonghi 152 is just your normal low end pressurized machine (I started with a Bar 32 which is basically the same machine internally). These machines have pressurized portafilters so they don't really make espresso (and make fake crema lol), but you can try to take apart the PF and remove the pressure clip (forces coffee/water through a tiny hole) so you can try to make decent espresso shots. If you leave the PF pressurized don't go too fine with the grinder as it'll get clogged up easily since it's trying to force through a tiny hole and not a normal basket extraction.

But fresh roasted beans and ground right before use on these pressurized machines will still be way better then using preground in them. Great machines to start out/learn on... you'll get the upgrade bug fast though, like I did lol

Great advice, thanks.
I can't say I understand exactly the modification you are describing, I'll look into it, if it's not permanent I could give it a go. Actually, the replacement filter is not too expensive, so probably I could give it a go in any case.
So with no modifications I can grind more finely than for espresso?
I read quite often that grinding too fine can clog espresso machines, and I thought this applied to mine too, but now I understand it doesn't.
Hope I'll avoid the bug though, good machines seems V expensive for my not too deep pockets :D

Edit: I found a discussion here, http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machines/522849 I guess that's the kind of modification you are referring too, perhaps I can get an unpressurized basket rather than modifying the existing one.
McAldo

Posted Wed Apr 10, 2013, 3:13am

Well, thanks everybody for the great advice!
I just got the Hario mini, a Rattleware 20ozLatte Art Pitcher and a selection of five beans qualities from all over the world.
including Jamaica blue mountain cause that's what my wife likes best and Kona haiti because I never got around to try it.
Burnt a little hole in my not too large 'whims and hobbies' monthly fund, but hey, it should be worth :)

Hope the pitcher is not too tall for my machine, will see tomorrow when it shows up.
And still debating with myself if I can use generic ziplock bag to seal my beans in single portions before freezing them (I read they'll last 2 months that way).
Just, food grade bags are way too big for single portions and generic ones are not describes as food and freeze safe..
Might open another thread asking for directions, but in the meanwhile thanks so much again, left to my own device I wouldn't have a clue :D
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Wed Apr 10, 2013, 6:53am

Enjoy!  The Hario mini is a good little grinder.  I miss JBM! BTW I found that if you find that you can't fine tune for espresso with the grind setting limitations you can compensate with adjusting tamp pressure.
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
deadkenny64

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Breville BES840XL
Grinder: Breville SG, Hario Slim
Drip: Aeropress
Roaster: Poppery II
Posted Wed Apr 10, 2013, 6:42pm

You might be better off putting the beans in glass jars before freezing.  You want to keep moisture out and regular bags may not provide enough protection.  Just make sure that once you thaw you never refreeze the beans.  I have been using vacuum seal bags in 1 week portions and it has been working very well.  Multiple people have frozen beans for up to 3 months with almost no degrading.  BTW, I have the Hario and it can grind perfectly fine for my Mypressi Twist.  I have gotten some pretty good shots with it set on 3 clicks from full closed.
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Wed Apr 10, 2013, 7:11pm

Burner0000 Said:

Enjoy!  The Hario mini is a good little grinder.  I miss JBM! BTW I found that if you find that you can't fine tune for espresso with the grind setting limitations you can compensate with adjusting tamp pressure.

Posted April 10, 2013 link

I beg to differ. Tamp pressure, no matter what you use unless you can somehow drive about 500# into it, doesn't compare to brew pressure in the slightest. If you can't get you grind just right you need to make dose adjustments

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Hand grinders...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.300129175186)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+