Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
older model 99-03 SJ or newer 2010 vario ?
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > older model...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
pcof

Espresso: on the hunt
Grinder: Lelit pl53
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Apr 10, 2013, 1:09pm
Subject: older model 99-03 SJ or newer 2010 vario ?

just wanted to know what peoples thoughts are. What is more worth it? which will grind better? i'm looking to buy one of these to options
all used and working
 View Profile Link to this post
myallawala
myallawala
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Mazzer Major & Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Yama Burner
Drip: Hario V60 & Chemex
Posted Wed Apr 10, 2013, 3:24pm
Subject: Re: older model 99-03 SJ or newer 2010 vario ?

Assuming you're referring to the Baratza Vario and not the Malkonig Vario, I'd still say the SJ in terms of the cup. I might choose the vario for all the features and size but if your goal is the best espresso only, those larger burrs would "grind better". I put my Vario on drip duty when I found my '94 Mazzer Major. I like to think my drinks taste better now.
pcof

Posted Thu Apr 11, 2013, 5:02am

Thanks. and yes I was talking about the Baratza Vario.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Apr 11, 2013, 6:12am

Yep, what Mohammed said.
We are in a place here that a lot of personal preferences rule the day. Many here have the B Vario and love it, to my hands, it feels, ..... plasticky and .... inexpensive. I am not saying that anyone is wrong, not at all, the B Vario is one of the grinders that I advise people to look at, my personal taste is for larger, heavy, solid equipment and I really like the Mazzer line, esp from the SJ and up. Either grinder should do a good job but for my money, I go industrial, every chance I can, that is just the way I am. YMMV!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Jmanespresso
Jmanespresso

Espresso: Alex Duetto II
Grinder: Compak K10 - Vario
Vac Pot: Yama-SY5/SY8/TCA5
Drip: V60, Beehouse, CCD
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Thu Apr 11, 2013, 9:23am

Super Jolly.

I really love my Vario.  But as an espresso grinder, Ive only used it sparingly.  Really, its my brewing grinder.  And just recently, I switchted it to 100% brewing duty by installing the Ditting steel burrs.  NOW its a brew monster, but worthless for espresso.

The Vario is really THE grinder to buy when you're buying a new setup.  Cheap, versatile, great for espresso, and great for brewing.  You have a worthy espresso grinder which NO wife in the world would say is unacceptable for a kitchen scenario.. what is there no to like?

But, its outclassed real quick by commercial grinders.  The vario is often compared to the SJ, and its true, they're very close.  But usage wise, the SJ takes the edge for pure espresso use Id say.

Follow Your Bliss

Coffee makes your constantly overcome your prejudices and re-evaluate your own "received wisdoms" when it comes to judging cup flavors. -Tom Owen, SweetMarias
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
Woody
Woody
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Vivaldi I
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Vac Pot: Hoover
Drip: yuck
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Thu Apr 11, 2013, 10:36am

Another way to look at the issue-  I've NEVER seen a vario in a high end coffee shop.  Plenty of Super Jollys though.

Jon
dspear99ca

Espresso: Gaggia Coffee
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Posted Thu Apr 11, 2013, 11:54am

Woody Said:

Another way to look at the issue-  I've NEVER seen a vario in a high end coffee shop.  Plenty of Super Jollys though.

Posted April 11, 2013 link

This is true, but is only one consideration.  I've seen a lot of glass-fronted double-door refrigerators in high-end coffee shops too.  In home kitchens, not so much.  Most people do not have commercial kitchen appliances... stoves, refrigerators, microwaves, dishwashers... we've collectively decided that sure, a 100-lb. 220V microwave probably IS better than my cute white Panasonic, but do I need it the same robust build quality that is necessary in a commercial setting where a procession of low-paid employees repeatedly spill things in it and slam the door?  Most of the time the answer is "NO".  A lot of commercial/industrial equipment is less aesthetically pleasing, and often lacking in features that may appeal to consumers.  There are no commercial coffee machines with 4-hour auto-shutoff because the commercial market does not want or need this, whereas most consumers would appreciate this feature.  Few consumer market grinders come with a doser because, well, it's a feature designed to be used in a commercial high-throughput setting.

I have a Mazzer Mini.  I love the build quality, I love the grind quality, and I love the look of it.  If they could make it as easy to use as my Baratza Preciso I would be thrilled.  My wife would be thrilled.  She might even use it.  Hell, even my kids would be thrilled as they love to make espresso for me in the morning and cleaning out the chute and brushing down the doser adds a whole level of complexity that many, dare I say most, folks trying to get out the door in the morning aren't up for.  

I am a) a person who likes to tinker and b) a person who really really really really appreciates a good espresso and c) enjoys the ritual of grinding/loading/tamping/pulling a shot and d) appreciates longevity and build quality, yet still the doser to me is a pain in the a$$... it is not necessary or useful to me, the space it takes up could be much better utilized by a grounds hopper.  Others with less patience or time would certainly appreciate the ease of use of the Vario or better yet the Vario-W which is still a few hundred bucks cheaper than the Mini.  The Vario has a solid history unlike newcomer Preciso which has had its' share of design issues, and IMHO is totally adequate for home use.
pcof

Posted Fri Apr 12, 2013, 11:42am

thanks for all the comments.
i bought a 97 super jolly off ebay, probably a beater. I hope its not in to bad of shape when i get it. but you can't beat the price of 150 in still working condition.
crossing my fingers and hopping for the best.
i'll probably need a lot of help fixing her up
dspear99ca

Espresso: Gaggia Coffee
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Posted Fri Apr 12, 2013, 12:36pm

Wow that is a great deal.  The Mazzers are pretty indestructible, the case is HEAVY aluminum and if the motor is good you are probably looking at replacing the burrs ($50) plus the odd plastic part (hopper, lids, doser window, etc.). Enjoy.
pcof

Posted Fri Apr 12, 2013, 12:58pm

any idea whats a good place to get those things for a decent price? i'm running a super tight budget
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > older model...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.264847040176)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+