Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Baratza Virtuoso Preciso - Timer Dial Falling Off?
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Baratza Virtuoso...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
GlennM

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Apr 19, 2013, 9:34am
Subject: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso - Timer Dial Falling Off?

Hi Everyone,

A question for others who own this grinder…

Do any of you have problems with the grinder timer dial falling off when the timer is running?

I own this grinder and like everything about it, except for this.  I figure this is a flaw but thought I'd check here first to see if others have the same problem.  It’s rather annoying since the grinder sits on my countertop and at least 25% of the time, the dial falls off onto the counter.  It’s noisy (when it hits the counter) and a bit of a pain to re-attach to the grinder.  I figure for the amount of money spent on the grinder, this is something that shouldn’t happen.

So… anyone out there with the same problem?  If so, have you contacted Baratza and what was their response?

Thanks for any feedback.

Glenn
 View Profile Link to this post
Intrepid510

Posted Fri Apr 19, 2013, 9:52am
Subject: Re: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso - Timer Dial Falling Off?

Yeah it happens, I guess I don't find it a big deal nor think too much of it. I understand that $300 is a nice little chunk of change, but compared to other grinders out there it's an inexpensive one, and I think the Preciso can do what no other grinder can, grind really well at all settings.

Although I think a rubber ring or something inside the knob could solve the problem so the vibrations don't shake it off easily.

Less water, more grounds.
svyerkgeniiy

Espresso: (-ish) Bialetti moka pot
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: Yama (large 8-cup)
Drip: Technivorm KBT; Clever...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Apr 19, 2013, 10:05am

Hey, it was worse on the prior Virtuoso model (the one before Preciso).  That one fell off once every two grinds instead of every 10 or so.  I really don't understand how they couldn't remember, "oh this was a problem before let's fix it".

It does hold on better than before, but I'll agree it's annoying.  A (tiny) bit of sticky tape in the right place should hold it on for a good while, until the adhesive wears out.

Donald Varona
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Posted Fri Apr 19, 2013, 3:01pm

Pry could just glue it, mine falls off the Preciso like maybe once every month, lol, it'll just vibrate itself off during grinding. If I remember though, they pry designed it to come on and off easily and maybe didn't realize how often it would come off from vibrations, b/c I think when the grinders are shipped, that knob isn't attached, or at least mine wasn't, it was separate. But yeh, surprising how loud that thing is when it hits the counter from only a few inches lol.... PING!
CoffeeRon
CoffeeRon

Espresso: Wega Lyra, Europiccola(still...
Grinder: Macap M7D, Pharos, Vario W,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam CoffeeMaster
Drip: Melita BCM-4
Roaster: FR SR500,B-1600, SC/TO
Posted Sat Apr 20, 2013, 7:50pm

Baratza has a fix for it in their troubleshooting pages  
http://www.baratza.com/troubleshooting/
an easy fix that involves scotch tape :)
pilot25

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Preciso
Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013, 8:29pm

don't glue it because when all the internal parts go to hell, and they will soon, you have to take it off to get the housing off.

sell it and buy a good grinder.
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013, 9:03pm

pilot25 Said:

don't glue it because when all the internal parts go to hell, and they will soon, you have to take it off to get the housing off.

sell it and buy a good grinder.

Posted April 23, 2013 link

I know you had bad luck but I've had the updated/fixed one for 9 months now and still grinds perfect in the range it always did. Friend has his for just over a year and same, no issues. Plenty of others as well. Not saying its the best, but the issues that some had were blown out of proportion, and somehow some users went through multiple ones within months and rest of us still have one for way longer with no trouble....go figure lol
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013, 9:11pm

You can also use a little strip of paper (like stock printer paper) to make a paper shim instead of the thinner scotch tape.

It's a little thicker so it pushes the two split halves of the timer shaft apart farther so that the outer circumferential halves of the timer shaft push more tightly against the inner diameter of the timer knob, & keeps it from slipping off.

Simple as pie, & I've never had one come off. {;-)

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Baratza Virtuoso...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.239926099777)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+