Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Rancilio Rocky seems to be heating up
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Rancilio Rocky...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
RSF

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun Apr 28, 2013, 6:21pm
Subject: Rancilio Rocky seems to be heating up

We've had the Rocky SD (dozerless) since about 2006/2007. We noticed recently that it seemed to feel hot (touching the metal on the rear of the machine). We've cleaned it thoroughly,calibrated and it seemed to be working okay but when grinding it seems to be heating up again. Is this a problem with the motor? We don't want to go to the expense of replacing the burrs if the motor might be going out. That said, if the problem might be that the burrs just need replacing we'll try that just don't want to do a replacement and then have the machine die. Could there be something else going on?

Any assistance would be appreciated.
 View Profile Link to this post
adekorte
adekorte

Espresso: Nespresso Pixie
Grinder: Rocky Rancillo, Baratza...
Drip: Bonavita BV1800,Technivorm...
Posted Mon Apr 29, 2013, 6:33am
Subject: Re: Rancilio Rocky seems to be heating up

Hi,

You need to disassemble the the unit to remove the stainless back cover and look at the wiring to the two switches. Below is how. The instructions are straightforward. It could be the motor, but the motor is over designed for the grinder, so I don't believe it's the problem. The induction motor used in that unit are very reliable. This article  concerning the MD Rocky is for a timer mod, but you can see how to disassemble it for inspection!  

http://www.schneordesign.com/Avi/RockyMod/Rocky_disassy.htm
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
RSF

Posted Mon Apr 29, 2013, 7:12am

Thanks for the reply and the link which explains how to take the machine apart. So that I am sure I understand what the problem might be...the wiring to the switches or possibly the switches themselves rather than the motor? Is this something that happens from time to time?
adekorte
adekorte

Posted Mon Apr 29, 2013, 7:21am

Hi,

I said look at the switch wiring because you could determine by a heated wiring (change in color of the wire) or sometimes the switch itself could become more resistive over time and cause heat in the switch itself! The switch at the front that is used to pulse the grinder would be more likely to be the problem because its used the most! The motor could be the problem also, but I sort of doubt it.

I'm a Technician/Engineer and have seen these sort electrical issues in various units/chassis. Look for any signs of heat...change in color of motor/wiring.

Antonius de Korte
Redial

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu May 2, 2013, 7:08am

please post your solution if you figure it out! thanks
RSF

Posted Sat May 11, 2013, 2:15pm

Hi again,

Sorry this has taken a while but we wound up ordering new burrs and screws and had to wait for them to arrive before we could test it out again. We tried taking the machine apart and examined everything inside carefully. There is no sign of burned wires or any dark areas. We put everything back together and waited for new burrs to arrive. We have watched videos online re calibration, carefully read the poor instructions that came with the machine and it still isn't right. It makes terrible noise no matter how we adjust it. To place the stop screw as shown in all of the instructions and then to line up the holes to be able to put things back together just doesn't seem to work as depicted. We put the hopper back on and line up the stop screw as shown but then to line the holes up the stop screw winds up a long way from the place where it was when placing the hopper back on the machine. Hope this makes sense - trying to calibrate with it set up like this doesn't seem to work and it is a long way back from 0. I realize that the sticker could be off but no mater what we do there is a clattering noise that just doesn't sound right.  Also the grinding adjustment button seems to behave strangely at times. Press it down to change the setting and it seems fine, turn the machine on and it pops up even though it appeared to have already done that. Also when it pops up the bean hopper moves. This is very frustrating. If anyone can help we will be most appreciative. We live in a rural area and there is no help for repair on things like this.

thanks~
earlds
earlds
Posted Sat May 11, 2013, 7:02pm

Im not sure this will help but I removed the stop screw from my Rocky years ago ,as well as the finger guard .To clean or replace the burrs I just unscrew the hopper and then ,after cleaning I screw the hopper back till the burrs touch ,then back off a few notches...
adekorte
adekorte

Posted Mon May 13, 2013, 10:02am

Hello,

You could get a new number label from Seattle Coffee Gear web site for your Rocky!  Once you find the new zero point, (when the burrs just touch), mark that point on the hopper with a fine point sharpie just above the old label. You should probably take the old label off first, then mark the zero point with the sharpie.  If there is some glue residue it will probably come off with (WD-40) solvent or some Goo-off made for plastic/polymer. I just bought some new labels from them!
RSF

Posted Mon May 13, 2013, 10:53am

Hi,

First of all thanks for the replies we definitely need some help with this grinder. For some reason my earlier reply disappeared so I'll try again - feeling grumpy this morning so I probably hit the wrong button in my haste to get this posted. This seems to be a bigger problem than a new label or removing the blocking screw or finger guard can help. For some reason it can't be calibrated. We got it to the point that it was clattering less and did our best with the calibration but it never did sound quite right. I tried grinding some beans last night and had to hold the machine down because it wanted to vibrate completely off of the counter. The more coarse the grind is set the more noisy the machine seems to become. After a short period of grinding and resetting the type of grind the machine started to become warm and then just shut itself off. I unplugged it and left it until this morning and now it is running again.  We are going to take it completely apart this morning to start from scratch. Any one have any idea what the problem might be?

thanks~
adekorte
adekorte

Posted Mon May 13, 2013, 11:02am

Ok!...it could be the motor bearings! I don't believe these bearing are of the ball bearing type.  They are probably just quality brass bushings which most motors of this type are.  When brass motor bushings ware out there could be some heat generated and shaft wobble in the bushing.  You need to remove the top burr and feel with your hand the bottom burr to check for side to side play in the shaft. There should be no wobble!
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Rancilio Rocky...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.26190495491)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+