Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Shelf life on Virtuoso burrs?
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Shelf life on...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
SuburbanLatte
SuburbanLatte
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Ascaso Steel Uno PM Prof
Grinder: Vario
Vac Pot: Hario TCA-2 & Yama SY-5
Drip: Chemex, Hario V60  & AP
Roaster: iRoast2
Posted Tue Apr 30, 2013, 12:39pm
Subject: Shelf life on Virtuoso burrs?

I've had my Baratza Virtuoso nearly 5 years.  Daily use, but relatively small volumes at home.  Recalibrated for espresso with regular cleaning and use of Grindz.  Have been happy with it, but recently, two things of concern have been happening:  

1. Grinder chokes or stalls when grinding for espresso.  The motor stops, but starts again if you dial up (i.e. coarser).  The fix has been to measure out 2 scoops of beans and feed them in a bit at a time with the grinder running until done.  Annoying, but works.
  2. Can no longer get grounds fine enough for espresso.  On setting zero, grinds are not quite powdery and shots come through in 8 to 12 seconds (on a setting that should choke my machine or result in a 60+ second extraction).

I've checked and cleaned all the consumer serviceable parts - removed the shell, checked the calibration, brushed and air blew out all the old grounds - with no improvement.  My guess is that the burrs are not close enough together or are worn from use.  

Questions:  
  • Is this normal?  I believe I've maintained it well and had no problems until now.  Do burrs naturally wear over time?
  • Can the burrs be re-set, repaired or replaced?  If so, is the cost such that I'd be smarter getting a new grinder (thinking Prescio, but am happy enough with current unit if it can be brought back to life).

Cheers
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
CraigA
CraigA

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Tue Apr 30, 2013, 1:24pm
Subject: Re: Shelf life on Virtuoso burrs?

SuburbanLatte Said:

I've checked and cleaned all the consumer serviceable parts - removed the shell, checked the calibration, brushed and air blew out all the old grounds - with no improvement.  My guess is that the burrs are not close enough together or are worn from use.

Posted April 30, 2013 link

Hi Sean, correct.  

Questions:  
Is this normal?  I believe I've maintained it well and had no problems until now.  Do burrs naturally wear over time?

Yes, burrs wear over time., the amount of coffee ground.., & the closer the burrs are together (used mainly for espresso)..., they'll wear even faster.

Can the burrs be re-set, repaired or replaced?  If so, is the cost such that I'd be smarter getting a new grinder (thinking Prescio, but am happy enough with current unit if it can be brought back to life).

Yes, the burrs can be re-calibrated.
As they wear, you'd/you'll have noticed that the number that once produed a perfect shot, FP, pourover, etc., is now 3, 4, 5, or more numbers less (tighter) to get to the same grind. Sooner or later, you bottom out the numbers &/or the burrs touch at say +1 or +2. You may get away for a bit by recalibrating as I'll mention.

Are they set on the grinds calibration ring., in that right hand window is the set screw all the way to the far extreme right of it or any position there? Please search my posts for relevent pics & descriptions.
The burrs should be replaced as a set. Baratza.com has all the user service PDF's on burr replacement.

Do you know approximately how many pounds of coffee you've put through the burrs?

CraigA: Greenshot image editor_2013-05-01_20-30-53.jpg
(Click for larger image)

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
adekorte
adekorte
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Nespresso Pixie
Grinder: Rocky Rancillo, Baratza...
Drip: Bonavita BV1800,Technivorm...
Posted Wed May 1, 2013, 2:01pm

The top burr is worn.  I've had the grinder for about 5 years and replaced the top burr twice and that's for drip coffee!  I noticed at the 2.5 year point that my coffee was tasting different. The grounds looked the same but something was different! I decided to buy a new top burr and the taste was back. The bottom burr is on a left hand thread and difficult to remove. You probably just need the top burr.
My mother has this grinder with a newer top burr. She loves it!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CraigA
CraigA

Posted Wed May 1, 2013, 2:38pm

adekorte Said:

The top burr is worn.  I've had the grinder for about 5 years and replaced the top burr twice and that's for drip coffee!  I noticed at the 2.5 year point that my coffee was tasting different. The grounds looked the same but something was different! I decided to buy a new top burr and the taste was back. The bottom burr is on a left hand thread and difficult to remove. You probably just need the top burr.
My now has this grinder with a newer top burr. She loves it!

Posted May 1, 2013 link

That's a bad idea Antonius.

Think of it as 'similar' to a front wheel bearing for a vehicle. An analogy of an inner tapered roller spindle bearing & its mate, the matching outer tapered race.
Any mechanic worth his salt would never dream of only replacing the spindle bearing & keeping the old, worn outer race. There will be a mismatch/wear between the new & old & the old race will only quickly accelerate the wear on the new tapered inner roller bearing.

Always replace as a complete set for maximum efficiency & longevity of the burr set.

Here's another one. You wouldn't even think of only replacing one shoe would you? {;-)

It's not difficult at all IMHO to replace. All a customer has to do is peruse the troubleshooting & service guides/PDF's at Baratza.com for a Virtuoso to find out how it's done: Click Here (www.baratza.com)

View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
adekorte
adekorte

Espresso: Nespresso Pixie
Grinder: Rocky Rancillo, Baratza...
Drip: Bonavita BV1800,Technivorm...
Posted Wed May 1, 2013, 3:28pm

I know I should have replaced both, but getting the lower burr off is not very easy!  Have you done it?  I don't believe there are many out there with this type of grinder that have successfully removed it. Barazta wants you to send it to them.

I don't need you to tell me what I should know! Being condescending doesn't help as a moderator!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Wed May 1, 2013, 4:11pm

The lower burr is removed by grabbing it with vice grips, on a death-crush setting, then giving it a sharp crack (I want to say it's clockwise, but you may have to check that first - it's been a while).  They come off easily after that.  Since you're replacing them, you don't have to worry about damaging them with the vice grips, but if for some reason you need to remove them for another reason, you need to make sure to put a nice thick padding of electrical tape (or something that works as well) to prevent metal on metal contact.  

Oh, and Baratza support (Pierce Jens) is the one who told me how to do it, so...no...I don't think it's because they want you to send it in for service.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
 View Profile Link to this post
CraigA
CraigA

Posted Wed May 1, 2013, 4:16pm

adekorte Said:

I know I should have replaced both, but getting the lower burr off is not very easy!  Have you done it?

Posted May 1, 2013 link

Well for me it is.. Yes many times.
As an authorized Canadian Baratza warranty repair/refurb service center for Canada since May 2010 to April 2012, & continuing as an authorized third party Canadian Baratza service center for after warranty repairs.

I don't need you to tell me what I should know! Being condescending doesn't help as a moderator!

Well no offense, but you said "what I should know!".  If that's the case, I don't understand then why you recommended to only replace the top burr?

I'm here to inform/help if I can, & I certainly did not imply, or mean to imply or post in a condescending manner. Sorry if you feel that way..

I've been a moderator here for 6 years & never once have done that, to my knowledge in a moderating capacity towards any Coffeegeek member. I've also been a founding Coffeegeek member since Dec 20 2001 (also a beta tester before Coffeegeek launched) & also have never done that towards any Coffeegeek member, to the best of my knowledge.

langcjl
langcjl

Espresso: Gaggia Espresso
Grinder: Gaggia MDF
Vac Pot: Cory DCU
Roaster: SC/TO
Posted Wed May 1, 2013, 4:23pm

He's not the only one who thought it was a condescending answer. Made me a little uncomfortable.
   With regard to the issue, the burrs are not mating surfaces like bearings.
 View Profile Link to this post
CraigA
CraigA

Posted Wed May 1, 2013, 4:29pm

langcjl Said:

With regard to the issue, the burrs are not mating surfaces like bearings.

Posted May 1, 2013 link

Yes I know that Gregary. It was only an analogy/comparison to attempt to explain.

CraigA
CraigA

Posted Wed May 1, 2013, 5:07pm

My appologies to everyone!, & I ammended my post above.

showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Shelf life on...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.353883981705)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+