Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Baratza Preciso Portaholder Techniques
Grey Seal Coffee
We Roast Exceptional Coffee. See Our Brew Guides And Our Coffee Courses. 10% off with 'coffeegeek'!
greysealcoffee.co.uk

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Baratza Preciso...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Whitcoatsyndrom
Whitcoatsyndrom
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Office Pulser
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Newco-OCS 12
Roaster: HG/BM
Posted Mon May 13, 2013, 12:50pm
Subject: Baratza Preciso Portaholder Techniques

I'm trying to figure out the best way to use my Preciso.  I don't mind scooping out of the container into my basket but I like grinding into the portafilter bc I feel like I get a better distribution and less compression of the grinds into clumps before tamping (I really dont want to have to break up clumps...its why I like the grinder!).  The problem is that even when the adjustable portaholder brace (the metal part of the portaholder) is on its second level down, the mount of coffee into the portafilter gets too high.  I'm using the standard Gaggia Classic portafilter with double basket.  The portafilter itself is also at a downward angle if I let it just rest in the holder so I have to hold it with my hand to keep it level, which I generally don't mind doing bc I like being able to alter where the coffee is going anyway.  When the coffee gets too high in the portafilter, it sort of starts to go everywhere and I endup losing what I measure to be just around .45 g (an estimate of the average).  I'm thinking about removing the portaholder adjustable brace all together.  Also not sure if this fits into the question but I'm measuring beans and grinding 1 dose at a time, emptying the grinder each time.  There is usually just over .3 g of grind left in the grinder but I compensate when measuring.  

Can you guys talk about how/if you are able to avoid this problem?
 View Profile Link to this post
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Mon May 13, 2013, 12:59pm
Subject: Re: Baratza Preciso Portaholder Techniques

I don't use the holder/brace, I cut a small yogurt cup to use as a funnel for grinds and for WDT that I just stick enough into the basket to hold, then place the PF right underneath and works perfect with no stray grounds. Then a quick purge or two with knocking to get the gram or so that's retained.
Whitcoatsyndrom
Whitcoatsyndrom

Posted Mon May 13, 2013, 1:11pm

Love that idea...why didn't I think of it?!
CMIN

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Mon May 13, 2013, 1:18pm

]lol

Click Here (i146.photobucket.com)
gophishin

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: ecm technika iv profi
Grinder: baratza vario
Drip: bonavita immersion dripper
Posted Tue May 14, 2013, 11:37am

FWIW, I have a baratza vario (which I think uses the same/similar portaholder) and a gaggia classic, and I don't have any issues using it at 17 - 17.5g doses in the standard double basket.  I could probably do away with the portaholder all together as I do hold the handle up slightly to rotate the distribution around the basket and even shake it back and forth a little as it's filling up so it doesn't pile as high.  I single dose my grinding, as I'm trying to keep everything consistent while I learn, but I just tip the handle up slightly to have the front edge of the basket clear the holder 'tongue' and remove it carefully without any issues.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Whitcoatsyndrom
Whitcoatsyndrom

Posted Wed May 15, 2013, 3:40pm

Thanks for the advice, I think I'll probably end up doing something similar along with the yogurt cup trick.  I'll let you know how it goes!
jimboc

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: mypressi twist
Grinder: Baratza Precico
Posted Thu May 16, 2013, 1:28am

Are you getting a 0.3g loss from input to output consistently every time you grind?
D4F

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Thu May 16, 2013, 3:35pm

I cut the yogurt cup until it will only go onto the inside lip of the basket and kind of teeters. Heat the PF and basket to group temperature or use about boiling water and then roll the yogurt cup around.  That plastic molds easily at about 200F.  It will mold to the inside of the basket for about 1/4" and then sit very stable and the last 1/4" is straight along the side wall.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Sun May 19, 2013, 7:33am

D4F Said:

I cut the yogurt cup until it will only go onto the inside lip of the basket and kind of teeters. Heat the PF and basket to group temperature or use about boiling water and then roll the yogurt cup around.  That plastic molds easily at about 200F.  It will mold to the inside of the basket for about 1/4" and then sit very stable and the last 1/4" is straight along the side wall.

Posted May 16, 2013 link

I'm curious Fred...the preheated pf melts the yogurt cup enough to remold it? So, does that mean you always have to dose into a cold handle? For me, that would be incentive enough to make or buy a wooden or metal dosing funnel. Of course, I already own a wooden one as I got it with my knob and handle set I have pictured in my avatar.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
D4F

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Sun May 19, 2013, 11:41am

Hi Ron, nice to hear from you. Thanks for asking, others may also wonder.

Not close to melt, but moldable with pressure and coaxing.  I use a hot PF and basket in daily use and it does not change the molded yogurt cup.  Since the cup is progressively wider it is increasingly difficult to stuff more into the basket.  It is only moldable with pressure, not under its own weight or by bumping it around in use.  It works great but lacks the visual appeal of your set up.  It is more easily done than explained, try it and you will understand the molding vs melt, and then you can toss it :)

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Baratza Preciso...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.280009031296)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+