Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
durable alternatives to Preciso/Vario for first espresso grinder?
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > durable...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
cs137

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Jul 9, 2013, 12:30pm
Subject: durable alternatives to Preciso/Vario for first espresso grinder?

Hi everyone!

I have spent hours reading threads here. For my first grinder (for a new Gaggia Classic) most people recommend either the Preciso or Vario. I'm considering both of these machines, but I have a few questions/concerns.

1. I've read that there is not much difference between the Preciso and Vario grind quality? Some people recommend the Vario for espresso, but the difference does not seem worth $150. At the same time, I've read that the Vario is nearly as good as the Super Jolly. Does this mean the Preciso is also as good as the Super Jolly?

2. I am quite concerned with build quality, design, and ease of use. The Preciso and Vario are both quite ugly, but I can live with it. I am more concerned with build quality, as I've read that the Preciso is not very sturdy. Is the Vario much more durable than the Preciso? If so, I may consider paying the extra $120, even though the grind quality is about the same. For ease of use, I am looking for a machine that does not make a mess and is easy to get the grinds out of. I'm not sure how these stack up against the competition.

3. Are there other machines with better build quality that I should look at? I am willing to pay a bit of a premium - maybe $300-400 total for a grinder. For comparison, the refurbished Preciso is $239 and the refurbished Vario is $360.

I know there are a lot of threads about these grinders, but I've had a lot of trouble finding answers to these specific questions. Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!
 View Profile Link to this post
okitoki
okitoki
Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Jul 9, 2013, 9:48pm
Subject: Re: durable alternatives to Preciso/Vario for first espresso grinder?

I have tried a Preciso for my Silvia, and it was producing grinds that were good enough for it... can't comment on how durable it is since I only used it for a week because I was trialling it from a friend...

have you looked at a Compak K3? or get your hands on some used Mazzers or Macap? I've picked up a used MACAP MXA and a Mazzer SJ pretty cheap for where I am... and these guys are supposed to be rated to last for generations :D  but if you are looking for small size grinders, maybe a Eureka Mignon can also be considered as it looks pretty sweet...
dyqik

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07 PM
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso...
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Bona-Vita, CCD, Aeropress.
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Modded Poppers
Posted Wed Jul 10, 2013, 6:57am

My Preciso produces grinds that are much more than adequate for my old Classic, and now for my Bezzera BZ07, so I don't really know what is meant by "not good enough" for a Silvia.  I've had a major issue with my Mk I Preciso - stripped gearbox that also ruined the motor, but the parts were replaced, outside the warranty period, by Baratza, and I'm happy to fix things myself.  Since the upgrade to the Mk II parts, it's been 100% reliable with multiple daily use, provided I clean it regularly (I get occasional stalls if I don't clean it, which is hardly surprising).  The Vario is reportedly much more robust than the Mk I Preciso.

I don't think there's anything comparable for grind quality for espresso below about $500.  The Ascaso I-1 I have is not as good, and much messier to use.
takeshi
takeshi
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Wed Jul 10, 2013, 7:24pm

If durability is a major concern, Mazzers are hard to beat.  Consider a used Super Jolly.  Looking at current ebay listings it may be a stretch for your budget.  It won't meet your low mess and low retention requirements but you need to decide where you're willing to compromise as I doubt you'll find everything you're looking for in a grinder at that price point.

Haven't used the Preciso or the Vario so I can't really comment on them.
JPF

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Mini Vivaldi, Pre-millenium...
Grinder: Dosered SJ, Resurrected...
Vac Pot: Yama Siphon
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: Behmor, Poppery I
Posted Thu Jul 11, 2013, 5:43pm

I happily used my Vario for 3 years but then it broke. I was without it for a month and cost about $130 with shipping to fix. I bought a super jolly during that time and I haven't looked back. Baratza put updated components in it but I just don't feel like it does a good job anymaore. intended to use it as a dedicated drip Grindr but I can't seem to get a great pot drip coffee with it now

Living the caffeinated life.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > durable...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.226541042328)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+