Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Rancilio Rocky quirkiness
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Rancilio Rocky...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
javagonzo

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Melitta cone filter
Roaster: Ambex 4lb.
Posted Tue Jul 23, 2013, 5:50am
Subject: Rancilio Rocky quirkiness

After having recently replaced the burrs in my Rocky I can't seem to dial in a fine enough grind. (I've ruled out the espresso machine by testing with other grinders)
All the contacting surfaces were cleaned and the screws for each burr set were securely tightened (without over-tightening). I don't go by the index tape on the outside hopper; I screw the top burr carriage on until the sets make contact then back them off a few hairs.  I'd like to rule out having cross-threaded the carriage to the drive set as one can tell quickly if they've cross-threaded that.  So I'm stumped.  Anyone out there experience this as well?
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Jul 23, 2013, 7:44am
Subject: Re: Rancilio Rocky quirkiness

Is there the possibility that something is under one of the burrs? If you have dirt or a few grounds under the burr, it will go on but not be square and because of this, even when the burrs touch, you will not grind fine enough for espresso.
It is a place to start.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
PeterWWbeagle

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Quick Mill Anita,CMA...
Grinder: Super Jolly, Mini, Macap
Vac Pot: Aeropress
Posted Tue Jul 23, 2013, 8:28am

Cal's reply is a good start.  the mounting surfaces  must be spotless.  

but, sad to say I have read about this same problem in other forums.  many many replacement burrs are not oem, not factory and not well made.  CCS makes it a point to say it only sells factory burrs.  the two burrs must be perfectly parallel.  since, the grinder did work, the upper and lower carriers are parallel. I suggest the new burrs are not.  

other thoughts.  is there any play in the upper burr carrier?  some rocky threads talk about play in the threads, and using Teflon tape to take up the slack.  I have read that taking up any slack gives finer grind.  just grap your upper burr carrier and try to rock it (no pun intended) should be no play in the threads.

also, examine the burrs looking at them sideways.  look for high spots.  I once saw a burr with  a metal filing still attached from drilling the mounting hole.  that filing was higher than the burr level.  if it had been mounted, the filing would have touched the other burr before the burrs were close.
PeterWWbeagle

Posted Tue Jul 23, 2013, 11:21am

PS  Many experts (which i am certainly not one) state that new burrs take 5 to 10# to break in.  I have never seen that but it could be that i am too dense to see the difference.  And, I have never had an issue with the new burrs on a new Rocky.
javagonzo

Posted Tue Jul 30, 2013, 7:21pm

Thanks guys.  I did scrub the mating surfaces before installing the new burrs.  I'll re-examine the threads.  Given the age of this machine I most likely can rule out the threads but the devil's in the detail. :)

The comment about non-factory burrs has me thinking.  I know that I've at least once purchased non-factory burrs.  I'll look in to that more, too.

Gonzo
Rhinoevans

Espresso: La Spaziale S1, Starbucks...
Grinder: Rocky DL
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: N/A
Roaster: N/A
Posted Wed Jul 31, 2013, 6:51am

Installing my new burrs today after 10 years of faithful service.  I will let you know if any issues.  Purchased OEM from Chris Coffee.
PeterWWbeagle

Posted Wed Jul 31, 2013, 6:21pm

would love to hear.  please post..

There seems to be more and more posts of people with new burrs that suck.  I am sure all the burrs on eBay are aftermarket non oem crap.  funny, real oem factory burrs from Chris cost the same as the no name aftermarket.  

I am having second thoughts about the "it takes five pounds to break in new burrs".  I have opened with friends many Rockys, minis, SJs, macaps and everyone ground super brand new.   yes, a little seasoning with beans must help every grinder but extensive break in???
Rhinoevans

Espresso: La Spaziale S1, Starbucks...
Grinder: Rocky DL
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: N/A
Roaster: N/A
Posted Thu Aug 1, 2013, 7:13am

Well, took apart for cleaning and install of the new burrs and after Inspection, the current burrs were not worn at all.  So, I didn't install.  Just cleaned and put old ones back in.  Wife said to replace, but I could not tell a difference from the new ones from Chris to the old one.  Reassembled, adjusted settings, and all seems good.  Sorry, I know this is no help.  Could you actually see that the blades were worn?
PeterWWbeagle

Posted Thu Aug 1, 2013, 12:41pm

Rhinoevans Said:

Could you actually see that the blades were worn?

Posted August 1, 2013 link

I doubt you can see. BUT YOU CAN FEEL.  run you fingernail crosswise across the sharp edge of the middle part of the burr.  if the edge of your fingernail slides across the burr without catching, the burr edge is "rounded" and dull. IF your finger nail easily catches when dragged crosswise on the burr (and can cut off some nail!!) then the burr is still fine.

I have seen 10 year old Rocky's from homes with still good burrs.   I have seen worn burrs under a cheap magnifying glass:  the burr edges are rounded.  The glass was really not necessary as you could easily feel how rounded they burrs were.  Trust your fingernail.  

I am not surprised a bit that your burrs are not worn at all.  I just fixed a friend's 2005 SJ used in a small shop and the burrs were still good, not perfect, but still usable.  GOOD Italian OEM factory burrs last a long time.  SJ burrs are rated for 400 kgs, thats one half ton of coffee.  I would "guess" Rocky burrs are good for at least 250 + kgs or 550 pound. Perhaps others here know that exact figures.  IMHO burrs last longer when the machine is cleaned and using medium as opposed to very dark, crisp roasts.  Just my hunch.  

I use lots of burrs a lot in my metal work and for my wife's fused glass art studio. click here   (Shameless promotion -sorry)   Its hard to see worn burrs I use in my die grinders -- but the proof is easy in the actual use. We are lucky that we have  big flat burrs used for coffee grinders; much easier to use our fingernails to check edge condition.

The good news is that you did not take out good OEM factory burrs and put in cheap Chinese crap.
javagonzo

Posted Wed Aug 14, 2013, 7:50pm

Update:
Reseated and cleaned everything.  Paid close attention to alignment and location.  Like perhaps most if not all of you, the markings on the upper hopper are meaningless.  All appears to be well now.  And yes, I have OEM burrs.

Great discussion we're having here!! Doncha love this place!?!?

Gonzo
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Rancilio Rocky...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.245675086975)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+