Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
CAREFUL: Chinese Burrs On Ebay and Claiming Perfect for Mazzer and others
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > CAREFUL: Chinese...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
PeterWWbeagle

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Quick Mill Anita,CMA...
Grinder: Super Jolly, Mini, Macap
Vac Pot: Aeropress
Posted Thu Aug 1, 2013, 11:03am
Subject: CAREFUL: Chinese Burrs On Ebay and Claiming Perfect for Mazzer and others

In the last several months, i have seen more and more and MORE complaints from SJ and other grinder users here and in other forums that say:  I just put on NEW burrs and the grinder is worse.

Many of us suggested the burrs just need to be worn in a bit.  

IMHO, the answer is not the need for a break in, ITS CHEAP CHINESE BURRS. ALL the burrs on ebay appear to be from China!!  

You may have heard of the company that now makes what they call MAZZER CLONES.  if you believe that, let me show you swamp land I have for sale if Florida.  

The so called clones are made by Hey Cafe in China and appear to have been rebranded and sold in the US, mostly on Craigslist and Ebay.  The acutal company behind Hey Cafe brand is Elan in Shangai, but the website appears to be down.  

I just saw the inside of a so called My Cafe clone. IT AINT NOT MAZZER CLONE!!!  Its just a big Chinese grinder that copied some of the STYLE of the Mazzer parts.  For the real SJ, the massive aluminum frame is part of the motor frame.  in the so called clones, its just a motor bolted in.  The SJ MAZZER machines have real torque and use 5 amps. As a result , Mazzers (and most of our Italian pro-sumer or above machines)  need and use a contactor, such as the top quality Lovato contactors.   Guess what: Chinese machines do not use contactors.  Only two reasons: (1) they are cheap and don't care if the switches are handling high amps or (2) the motors are much smaller amperage.   In fact, it is amperage. The Chinese SJ clone only claims 3 amps while the real SJ is 5 amps.  BUT, in some more research, I NOW FIND poor suckers that bought these clones are having BURNED OUT SWITCHES!!!  

The Chinese clones were discussed in a previous post here:

Click Here (coffeegeek.com)

IN the post, it states that the Chinese company first used Italian burrs and BUT NOW MAKES THEIR OWN EQUIVALENT BURRS IN CHINA.

I have used burrs in my hobby metal work for decades.  Its easy to make a burr, its hard to make a good burr.  It takes REALLY GOOD steel and spot on quality control, two things China lacks.  Every metal working burr I have ever used that was any good was either made in the US or EU.  Looking at a burr is meaningless.

IMHO, only buy burrs from reputable companies that state they get OEM FACTORY burrs - i know Chris Coffee does. i am sure others do.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > CAREFUL: Chinese...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (6.97325491905)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+