Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Looking for a grinder - opinions sought
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Looking for a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
LowThudd

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Espresso, Mukka,...
Grinder: Grindmaster 625(RR45)
Roaster: Salton Popcorn popper
Posted Fri Aug 16, 2013, 4:14pm
Subject: Re: Looking for a grinder - opinions sought

fozzybear Said:

I hope not either!  My current plan is to settle in to the new rig.  After that I'm kinda thinking of experimenting with home roasting........ Could be interesting.

Posted August 16, 2013 link

Home roasting is great(with a proper grinder), and can be started on the cheap with an air popper. Honestly, for the small amount of coffee I drink, the air popper is all I need. I can make enough coffee in one batch for a day or two. Nice little $15 dollar investment, and I am learning alot about coffee in general as well.
 View Profile Link to this post
onthego
onthego
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Salvatore One Black, Silvia...
Grinder: Macap M4 Stepless, Rocky DL,...
Drip: Krups
Posted Fri Aug 16, 2013, 6:31pm

fozzybear Said:

I saw the SJ.  One of my considerations (read: my wife's considerations) is that the grinder must fit beneath our kitchen cabinets (happy wife, happy life) which imposes a limit of 18.5" height.

Posted August 13, 2013 link

Any of the 58mm flat burr grinders should work for you.  The Mazzer Mini, Macap M4 and Compak K3 are all about 16.5" tall with the bean hopper in place.  
The Mazzer Mini E's have 64mm flat burrs and are also 16.5" tall  with the bean hopper if you feel the need for the larger burrs.
Angman
Angman

Espresso: Strega, MCal, Cimbali M20L
Grinder: K10 Fresh, HG One 83mm,...
Vac Pot: Nope
Drip: Technivorm, Hario Woodneck,...
Roaster: Hottop 8828P
Posted Sat Aug 17, 2013, 1:47pm

Home roasting is a great idea. Just try not to add too many new variables all at once. I now home roast and its fantastic, mainly for convenience. However, once you start doing this the grinder becomes even more important.

If you want to experiment I had great results with the cheap bread machine conversions for home roasting.
Crema9bar
Crema9bar

Espresso: Nuova Simonelli Oscar,...
Grinder: Company K3
Posted Mon Aug 19, 2013, 3:39am

Hi all
I'm new to the forum.
I'm in the process of finalising my coffee set up.
Getting a Nuova Simonelli Oscar, but I'm undecided on the grinder. Use will be mainly espresso.
Currently looking at the Vario, Mazzer (might this is proving to be too expensive), ECM casa, also branded as Anfim, Kompak K3 and lastly the nuova simonelli Grinta as a last resort.
Your input will be greatly appreciated.
fozzybear

Espresso: ECM Manufacture Technika IV
Grinder: Mazzer mini
Posted Mon Aug 19, 2013, 5:20am

Personally I passed on the ECM Casa (even though it would have looked great with my ECM Technika IV) because I felt that the grind graduation didnt seem granular enough for me.

I went for the Mazzer Mini, which I plan to upgrade with the SJ burrs.   Like you, my coffee drinking revolves largely around espresso (and related beverages).  Thus far (almost a week in) I couldn't be happier with this setup.

I purchased the Mazzer used.   I did a lot of research and these machines are rock solid - industrial grade.  It is for this reason that very comfortable buying used.
Crema9bar
Crema9bar

Posted Mon Aug 19, 2013, 6:32am

Hi
Thanks, yes, I know the Mazzers are solid grinders, but also hectically expensive for the doser less variant that I want. That is why I am looking at the Vario as option as well.
Just don't want to buy on price and be disappointed down the line. I am also a cognisant of over capitalising on my equipment as well based on my needs.
DanoM

Espresso: Bezzera Strega, '84 La...
Grinder: Compak K10, Kludge grinder,...
Posted Mon Aug 19, 2013, 10:02am

Crema9bar Said:

Currently looking at the Vario, Mazzer (might this is proving to be too expensive), ECM casa, also branded as Anfim, Kompak K3 and lastly the nuova simonelli Grinta as a last resort.
Your input will be greatly appreciated.

Posted August 19, 2013 link

I have the Vario (non W version), and really like it.  My grinding is for a NS Oscar and La Pavoni lever espresso, and dialing in grinds has been pretty easy.  I weigh the doses separately and dump them into the hopper as I grind, so no need for the Vario-W for my setup.  I've had the grinder for about 5 months now, so I can't speak to long term use.  Probably had 3/4 pound of beans put through the grinder weekly.

Unfortunately I don't have experience with the other grinders.
Crema9bar
Crema9bar

Posted Mon Aug 19, 2013, 10:49am

Thanks, it looks like the Vario is what I'm going to go with.
In terms of neatness, any concerns with grinds not landing in the portafilter properly? Making it messy?
Also, is it easy too clean? No grinds staying behind?
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Aug 20, 2013, 6:24am

Doser-less = more mess, doser= less mess, less clumping and more time use options.

Dosers are a personal thing, none of us use them to measure the coffee for the shot. Without mods, some can retain more grounds that we may care for but with mods (easy ones at that) they can be made to sweep very clean with little if any retention.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
fozzybear

Espresso: ECM Manufacture Technika IV
Grinder: Mazzer mini
Posted Tue Aug 20, 2013, 7:06am

Re-enforcing what callblacksmith has said:  Moving from a doser-less to doser set up my observations are as follows:

The doser puts less grinds on my counter, but adds an extra dimension to clean up.  I've recently modified the sweep on my doser, so its much less of chore than it was.  

The doser results in less clumping than going doser-less.  Less clumping = less channelling and more consistent shots.  

Also, I tend to do quite a bit of repetitive shots (big family and lots of entertaining), and I find the doser excellent in this regard as I can set the timer while I'm doing everything else, and the *actual* grind speed (which isn't bad on the Mazzer) becomes a total non-issue.
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Looking for a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.284877061844)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+