Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Grinder?
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Grinder?  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
marsel

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat Sep 14, 2013, 6:36am
Subject: Grinder?

Moved to US from Croatia. I have been espresso fan back in Croatia for years and than after 15 years here in US I got tired of instant coffee. So I recently purchased Gaggia Classic. Made a few shots, (used Bustelo grounded coffee). Shots are too fast, about 15 seconds, although somewhat creamy. I did research and i know good grinder is must as well as selection of coffee. My dilemma is this, due $ restraints at least for know i have to settle for grinder bellow $200 if possible (even hand one is option) or go with pre-grounded espresso coffee. Recommendations would be appreciated with regard to grinder choice (within my price range) and coffee beans selection or pre-ground coffee selection.
 View Profile Link to this post
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Sat Sep 14, 2013, 6:48am
Subject: Re: Grinder?

Trying to stay within your budget will be VERY difficult, unless you opt to purchase a used grinder . . . and even then, won't be easy.  From a "new" standpoint, I want to recommend a Le'Lit PL53, but at $269, it's a bit over your budget.  The Gaggia MDF is not as good, but it is on sale for $229 (down from $299) as I write this.  

Hope that helps . . .

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
MJW

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sat Sep 14, 2013, 6:38pm

The Hario Skerton hand grinder can work for espresso.

If you allow yourself to go used, a Rocky might be good given your budget.

Other choices:
Baratza Encore, Baratza Virtuoso, Baratza Virtuoso Preciso.  But again this is getting up there.  The encore just barely works for espresso use.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Sat Sep 14, 2013, 9:12pm

As Jason and Mike have both pointed out a new powered grinder in your price range is basically going to put you into a used grinder, a new but not really able to grind for espresso unit or a hand powered grinder. If using a PPF, a lower end powered grinderthat otherwise is mmarginally able to work for espresso will work.

It know it does not seem right but the grinder is more important than the machine, esp the in the lower priced starter equipment.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
brianl

Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano DB
Grinder: HG One, OE Lido 2, Baratza...
Drip: Chemex/V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Sep 16, 2013, 6:20am

I got a Gaggia MDF from amazon for $150 new about a year ago. Just put it in your wishlist and watch it for awhile if you're not in a hurry as the price fluxuates a lot. Other than that, I say check baratza's website on thursday for refurbs and hopefully there is a preciso.
Angman
Angman

Espresso: Strega, MCal, Cimbali M20L
Grinder: HG One 83mm, Breville Smart,...
Vac Pot: Nope
Drip: Bunn Trifecta, Woodneck,...
Roaster: Hottop 8828P
Posted Mon Sep 16, 2013, 7:33pm

I agree, check Baratzas website for a refurbished preciso. Scour the buy and sell ads here as well for nice used grinders as there are generally a few good ones that pop up.  A Hario hand grinder is very well priced  if you're not grinding a lot.  Porlex would be the next step up as a cheaper hand grinder as well.  The Breville Smart Grinder can be found for $150-200 and I love it (I don't use it for espresso though) but not everyone has good luck with it for espresso.
takeshi
takeshi

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Tue Sep 17, 2013, 11:53am

marsel Said:

So I recently purchased Gaggia Classic. Made a few shots, (used Bustelo grounded coffee). Shots are too fast, about 15 seconds, although somewhat creamy. I did research and i know good grinder is must as well as selection of coffee. My dilemma is this, due $ restraints at least for know i have to settle for grinder bellow $200 if possible (even hand one is option) or go with pre-grounded espresso coffee. Recommendations would be appreciated with regard to grinder choice (within my price range) and coffee beans selection or pre-ground coffee selection.

Posted September 14, 2013 link

If your shots are too fast then your beans are likely stale.  If you're using preground then your beans are definitely stale.  Cotinuing to use preground will not address your problem with shots being too fast.  You have to grind every time -- that's one reason why the grinder is important.
takeshi
takeshi

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Tue Sep 17, 2013, 11:56am

marsel Said:

So I recently purchased Gaggia Classic. Made a few shots, (used Bustelo grounded coffee). Shots are too fast, about 15 seconds, although somewhat creamy. I did research and i know good grinder is must as well as selection of coffee. My dilemma is this, due $ restraints at least for know i have to settle for grinder bellow $200 if possible (even hand one is option) or go with pre-grounded espresso coffee. Recommendations would be appreciated with regard to grinder choice (within my price range) and coffee beans selection or pre-ground coffee selection.

Posted September 14, 2013 link

If your shots are too fast then your beans are likely stale.  If you're using preground then your beans are definitely stale.  Cotinuing to use preground will not address your problem with shots being too fast.
phasor

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Europiccola
Grinder: Pharos, LIDO
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Clever, Press
Roaster: N/A
Posted Wed Sep 18, 2013, 4:19pm

Hi Marsel.  I own an Orphan Espresso Pharos hand grinder Click Here (www.orphanespresso.com) which cost me $245 plus shipping, new.  I was unsure about spending this much on a hand grinder, but I have been very impressed so far.  There is good discussion on home-barista.com and this site about it.  The grind quality is excellent, but there are some minor quirks with it.  For me, it was the best bang for my buck.  I plan on never getting another grinder.  It might be worth looking for a used one on the forums, or a new one at OE when they are back in stock.  All the best with your decision.
CoffeeLoversMag
CoffeeLoversMag

Posted Thu Sep 19, 2013, 2:24am

You know once your budget restraint you in buying a new grinder; it is hard to find the one that suit your need. Grinding your own can assure that you have good selection of beans for your espresso. If you can bear for the moment to grind using a hand grinder, you can maybe start just to get what you need. However, if your budget can allow buying a grinder with the best technology, try Breville Smart Grinder. You can buy this grinder lower than $200.

Did you know...? Dark roast coffees actually have less caffeine than lighter roasts due to the fact that the process of roasting burns off caffeine.
www.coffeeloversmag.com/theMagazine
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Grinder?  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.294176101685)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+