Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Frustrating Mazzer Mini Electronic Experience
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Frustrating...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
qualin
qualin
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Sun Oct 27, 2013, 11:58pm
Subject: Frustrating Mazzer Mini Electronic Experience

Typically I grind on demand rather than single dose. I put about what I consider about two weeks worth of supply into the hopper and grind it as I need it.
When all goes well, the hopper is empty after about two weeks and I put in more beans from the freezer straight into the hopper and let them sit for 24 hours.

Today was a rather frustrating experience for me. The symptom was that even though the hopper was full of new beans, nothing much was coming out. The
grinder sounded like it wasn't grinding much of anything at all, like the beans were stuck or something.

So, I used some canned compressed air to blow out the chute and tried again with the same results. So, then I closed the hopper door, spilled out the remaining
beans into a small bowl and ran a capful of grindz through the grinder, making sure to blow out the chute when I was done.

I put the beans back in and they still weren't feeding. So, I unscrewed the limiting screw on the collar and completely removed the upper burr. All I could see was
partially crushed beans stuck in the lower burr and not much else. As I managed to screw on the collar again (After finding out that I had to push down HARD) I
deliberately ground road gravel and the stuff just flew out of the machine.

I eventually managed to tighten the collar back up again and wasted at least 100 grams of coffee trying to dial it in. Then I encountered the same problem. !@!#%^!!!

So, I backed off the collar by a quarter turn and ran the grinder for probably a good 20 seconds. I noticed I could hear the motor slowing down a little and labouring as
massive chunks of finely ground coffee flew out of the chute and finally ground coffee was flowing again.

I figured what must have happened was that with the old batch, I was grinding so fine that when I switched beans, I was gumming up the grinder and the grounds
weren't flowing off the burrs and being pushed out of the chute. (What are those things called that stick out from the lower collar and push the grinds out the chute, tangs?)

When I coarsened up the grind, the powder was purged and the grinder started working normally again. (Well, what I think may be normal.)

Regardless, long story short, I have a suspicion that the metal grid was backing up the really fine powdery grind and clogging the grinder. It makes me wonder if I should
consider removing it if I ever did think of grinding for turkish coffee, or if this grinder is just completely unsuitable for grinding for turkish coffee as a result of the clogging.

All in all, I ended up making a mess, got my hands greasy and it took me nearly an hour to make my first coffee in the morning as a result. (First world problems!)

So, any advice? Has anyone else run into this problem and knows how to avoid it in the future? Should I just remove that !@#$%^&* grid to prevent this from happening again?

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Machine now fixed ;o)
Grinder: None
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Mon Oct 28, 2013, 1:54am
Subject: Re: Frustrating Mazzer Mini Electronic Experience

qualin Said:

So, any advice? Has anyone else run into this problem and knows how to avoid it in the future? Should I just remove that !@#$%^&* grid to prevent this from happening again?

Posted October 27, 2013 link

Haven't ever had any problem. Some folk have removed that grid, but it is there for a purpose, and removing it has side effects for some people. Have a look on here for loads of posts about doing so and the results. I think that the relative humidity in your house probably has a lot to do with whether it results in static problems or not and why some people have had more problems than others.

Careful use of a toothpick and the mazzer supplied brush will easily get the exit port free of any grinds if you ever need to do so, right back to the sweeper arms. Carefully loosen what you can then a quick burst of the motor and repeat a few times. You need to remove that useless guard thing from the top of the funnel to do so.  

Don't do it when you're half asleep if you want to avoid splintered toothpicks.....
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Oct 28, 2013, 7:17am

I have never had a Mazzer with a static grid and I have not had problems. I use the doser so clumping was not a big deal for me. It has been a year or two since I have used a Mazzer on a daily basis though I have a SJ and a Major. Have not played with the mini though. I can't see how it would be all that different than what I have.

With the chute between the grind chamber and the doser, open, I use a small brush to clean the grounds after each grind so the chute never fills up or clogs.

I guess it is a personal thing. You could try removing the grind and if you don't like the results, put it back. :D

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
moosepucky
moosepucky
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Grinder: Super Jolly - Forte BG -...
Vac Pot: Cona - Santos
Drip: Bodum - Chemex - Hario -...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828-B
Posted Mon Oct 28, 2013, 8:12am

I have a SJ and I removed the grid when I was using the can doser but needed it  back in when I converted over to an electronic (time based) doser so that the quantity delivered during the grinder operation time was more uniform/consistent

If you have the "hand chucker" type doser  then the screen does not seem to be as necessary as it is with the funnel type doser.

This is just my experience but YMMV
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Machine now fixed ;o)
Grinder: None
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Mon Oct 28, 2013, 9:43am

The OP has a Mini-e which does not have a doser.
 View Profile Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Frustrating...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.221095085144)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+