Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Replacement burrs for the OE Lido and Pharos?
Quality Espresso Machines
Imported Italian Espresso Machines, Coffee Machines & accessories for all your coffee needs!
www.thecoffeebrewers.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Replacement...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
SpaceTime

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: (2) Olympia Creminas - '83 &...
Grinder: Four hand grinders and two...
Drip: Freiling 33 & 44oz FP,...
Posted Tue Dec 10, 2013, 7:11pm
Subject: Replacement burrs for the OE Lido and Pharos?

I own both of these grinders, and out of curiosity looked on the OE site today for replacement burrs being offered, but did not see them.  I recall hearing that the Pharos used Robur burrs, but those only come in 71 and 83mm where the Pharos has 68mm.  (coincidentally the HG has 71 and 83 burrs I believe).

I then searched the web for a short spell, and the answer was not obvious.

So what is the skinny on replacement burrs for the OE grinders?  Mine are not dull yet (the Lido has been used daily for almost a year now though) but just thinking ahead...

Thanks in advance for any insight!
 View Profile Link to this post
uscfroadie
uscfroadie
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Olympia Cremina, Breville...
Grinder: HG One (71mm), Forte, Zass...
Vac Pot: Nope
Drip: Nope
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Wed Dec 11, 2013, 3:34pm
Subject: Re: Replacement burrs for the OE Lido and Pharos?

The Pharos uses ItalMill burrs, if I recall correctly.  No need to worry about replacements if they are anything like my HG One's 71mm Robur burrs.  Those are rated for 1600 pounds of coffee (if I recall correctly again, but that's awfully close).  Their ratings are based on electronic usage in a cafe, so in a home grinder where they are not used nearly as often, they *should* last even longer.

If you do the math, they'll go through 725,000 grams of coffee.  So even at 100 grams a day (more than 5 doubles/day), you'll need at least 20 years to wear them out.  

Can't speak for the Lido.
SpaceTime

Posted Wed Dec 11, 2013, 4:26pm

Thanks for the info Roadie… I see you have an HG one… I am envious!

And 1600lbs of coffee?  Then I should get a least 3-4 months out of my current set of burrs for my personal use.... ;-)  Lol… just kidding.

Not that I don't believe your math or anything ;-) but lets say I catch a rock in one of my grinds one day.... you get it.  It is an insurance policy also!

Plus, there is an intangible factor to my request - I am not sure that OE will be around forever.... not that they don't make great products and Barb and Doug aren't top notch, just that when they are finished and decide they are done making grinders some day, what then?!  I would just like to have a set on hand as I plan on using the grinder for MANY years to come.  Let's face it, they are built like tanks and WILL last that long... the only thing that won't is of course the burrs as the "consumable" in the grinder -  and as stated there is always the potential someone could grind them set on zero, catch a rock, etc.  

Ok, and admittedly, I am just one of those "pack rat" types that when I find something I like, I stock spare parts!  My woodshop is FULL of well cordoned off drawers with all sorts of spare parts I will never use....

Cheers!
pacificmanitou

Posted Wed Jan 8, 2014, 12:49am

I have been thinking the same thing lately. At my consumption I'll be replacing my burrs around new years 2030, but I want to have access to the burrs when I need to. I looked at the italmill product page, and all the burrs they offer have size specs listed. I don't know if you have to order in bulk, but you do have to register to see details past basic specs about a burr. There are about 5 68 mm conical burr sets with 13 mm key way shafts. I'm sure you could take the burrs out and measure them to see which set fits spec exactly. Ive heard it uses Rossi burrs, but the outer looks more like k10 to me, though the k10 doesn't have a key way, so I dunno.
pacificmanitou

Posted Wed Jan 8, 2014, 1:06am

So I measured it, it's 25mm tall, or 2.5 cm. fits spec for Rossi 68 mm burrs, just as I'd read before. When the time comes I'll be going for those. Course I have to become an italmill customer first, and that means I can't share some things with third parties.
hankua
hankua
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Salvatore One Black
Grinder: Pharos,Rossi RR45OD, Lido,...
Drip: CCD
Roaster: Yang-Chia 800n
Posted Wed Jan 8, 2014, 8:06am

You should be able to get replacement burrs from OE. It's not a normal replacement part, so you'll have to email them.
boar_d_laze

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Wed Jan 8, 2014, 8:16am

pacificmanitou Said:

Course I have to become an italmill customer first, and that means I can't share some things with third parties.

Posted January 8, 2014 link

Got the VST blues, Bro?  Gotta wonder which relative advised Vince he could get away with that crap.

BDL
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
SpaceTime

Posted Wed Jan 8, 2014, 9:38pm

hankua Said:

You should be able to get replacement burrs from OE. It's not a normal replacement part, so you'll have to email them.

You would think.  Not listed on their site... and I emailed them on Dec 10th with the request, and still have not heard back.

Of course, they have been closed for almost that entire time, and still are - so I will be patient with an answer.  But I don't think they offer replacements to date.  Besides, I hope they get back in soon, I have a shopping cart with a couple of needed items!

Trust me, I have combed the archives, the net, their site - if they are selling replacements, it is not obvious as to where that would be.
SpaceTime

Posted Wed Jan 8, 2014, 9:42pm

pacificmanitou Said:

Ive heard it uses Rossi burrs, but the outer looks more like k10 to me, though the k10 doesn't have a key way, so I dunno.

Yeah, they are darn close to K10's, but not quite. There is a detailed analysis / pictures over on HB that shows the burrs of different grinders, including the Pharos, and they were very close but not K10's.  I can't recall who did the comparison, I might have even bookmarked it along with my 4000 other ones ;-)

So far I agree with the Italiamil theory, let us know what you find out after getting "inside" access!  lol.
pacificmanitou

Posted Thu Jan 9, 2014, 10:11am

http://www.clean-machine.com.au/images2//GR-12296.jpg

Rossi MC is also a very similar burr set. I can't see the pattern of the Pharos outer burr well while it's assembled, but it certainly looks similar.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Replacement...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.285377979279)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+