Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Reliability of Baratza Preciso
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Reliability of...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
deviantintegral

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Dec 12, 2013, 6:27pm
Subject: Reliability of Baratza Preciso

I'm looking for a first-time grinder for espresso. Ideally it's one I can use for other types of coffee as well so if I ever get bored with Espresso I still have a decent grinder. And, hopefully one that can stand up to normal home use for 5-10 years with reasonable repairs.

I'd narrowed it down to the Precisio and the Vario, and after that I came across the Preciso quickshot review. That seemed to have it settled for me. After all, less money, better machine! However, I took a look at the other reviews, and it's pretty clear there were reliability issues that wouldn't come out with less than a few months use.

I saw mentions of replacement parts and so on, but nearly all of the poor reviews are from 2012. It made me wonder, did Baratza fix the reliability issues in subsequent manufacturing runs? Or did their sales tank and everyone just buys Varios now? I would have expected a response from them given the large number of negative reviews.
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Fri Dec 13, 2013, 7:53am
Subject: Re: Reliability of Baratza Preciso

Customer service from Baratza is excellent. They are very responsive to the market and stand strongly behind what they sell.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
brianl

Espresso: Gaggia Classic (w/PID)
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: chemex
Posted Fri Dec 13, 2013, 7:56am

If you're an espresso person then there is no doubt the VARIO is the better choice. However, whether the increase in price is worth it? Only you can answer that.
kinbote

Grinder: Vario
Drip: Technivorm, Kone
Posted Fri Dec 13, 2013, 8:20pm

brianl Said:

If you're an espresso person then there is no doubt the VARIO is the better choice.

Posted December 13, 2013 link

+1 . . . some folks feel the Vario competes with the Mazzer Mini for espresso. Whether that's true, you never hear the same about the Preciso. Sure, the quickshot review gives a higher rating to the Preciso -- on certain measures. But overall, the Vario is the better machine.
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Sat Dec 14, 2013, 10:23am

Own a Preciso and the Vario is a much better espresso grinder as far as taste in the cup. Preciso is capable of espresso no doubt, but it's a small conical burr set, everything else has larger flat Burrs or conicals that just kick ass lol.

Vario is well worth the extra money
moosepucky
moosepucky

Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Grinder: Super Jolly - Forte BG -...
Vac Pot: Cona - Santos
Drip: Bodum - Chemex - Hario -...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828-B
Posted Sat Dec 14, 2013, 12:32pm

I've had a Preciso for a while now but only use it as a brew grinder (pour over, drip, and press grinds).

I did have a Vario-W for a while and it was an excellent espresso grinder but it is now gone and I have a Forte BG (steel burr brew grinder) in its place.

I've pretty much settled down to a Super Jolly for all of my espresso grinding needs and have 2 Baratza grinders to handle all of the rest of the grinding.

I did have to replace the plastic grind adjustment ring in my Preciso so now I rarely change the grind setting off of what I use for my pour over needs.

I have never tried to get my Preciso to do a fine espresso grind as I had other grinders that did such a fine job on espresso (Vario-W and SJ).  when I replaced the adjustment ring in the Preciso, I set it to the coarser level so that I would have more adjustment in the medium grind range so I am not sure it would even grind fine enough for espresso now unless I took it back apart and reset it back to a finer level

moosepucky: grinders_11-27-2013.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
deviantintegral

Posted Sat Dec 14, 2013, 6:01pm

Sounds like the Vario (or -W) is the way to go. Thanks everyone for the feedback!
pilot25

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Preciso
Posted Tue Dec 24, 2013, 6:26am

Preciso is garbage.  Do a search on here and you will find reams of threads of complaints.  CoffeeGeek moderators will defend the Preciso to the end because Baratza is a sponsor of this website but don't listen to them.  The machine is filled with plastic that warps over just a couple months of use.  Don't even think of changing the grind from fine to coarse and back.  It just increases the pressure on the plastic rendering your grinder useless after just a few uses.

Don't buy this grinder ever.
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Dec 25, 2013, 10:48am

I bought one and have been using it for a year everyday with no issues of the machine itself. I found out there is an adjustment you can make internally for a finer grind setting.
I took it apart and followed the instructions but broke the plastic collar. I called Baratza and they fixed it for free and sent it back to me. If this one
ever breaks I will buy the Vario or the Forte. They simply stand behind their stuff and I like there ethos.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
sherpakid

Espresso: Quickmill Silvano
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Virtuoso
Drip: Chemex, Aeropress, Clever...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Dec 26, 2013, 11:53am

Here's what Baratza has to say about the plastic they use in the grinders Click Here.

www.prohibitionspecialtycoffee.com
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Reliability of...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Quick Mill Back in Stock
All Quick Mill Machine ready to ship. Free Ship. Silvano, Anita, Alexia, 2B, Andreja, QM67, Monza!
cupandbrew.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.251435995102)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+