Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Baratza Vario vs Baratza Vario - W
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Baratza Vario vs...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
jdevleerjr

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Dec 16, 2013, 8:05am
Subject: Baratza Vario vs Baratza Vario - W

I am in the process of selling my Rocky and getting a Baratza Vario.   I have also looked at the W version and it will dose by weight.  I will be honest and right now with my rocky I have never weighted out a shot.  I can get some very good shots, with no channeling on my bottomless portafilter.  I am upgrading my rocky for a better grind and the near stepless grind of the Vario.  

The normal Baratza Vario has a timer function that will automatically only grind for a set amount of time and it looks like like it can be set down to the 10th of a second.  My question is how consistent is it at dosing the same amount of coffee for the set time each time?  Is the W version of the grinder that much better because it goes on weight?
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Dec 16, 2013, 9:14am
Subject: Re: Baratza Vario vs Baratza Vario - W

Time should be pretty darn close.
I have not used those grinders but I used to run my SJs on a timer for dosing and the results were fine.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
tglodjo
tglodjo

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Virtuoso
Drip: Wave, V60, Chemex, Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Dec 16, 2013, 9:30am

I had the Vario-W and love it. However, I have since downgraded to the timer model and it's actually just as good and more convenient. I prefer grinding directly into the portafiler (especially with the metal portaholder they sell separately). The timing is just as accurate as the weight-based grinding. Plus, if you plan to single dose at all, the -W function is worthless. I say save your money, get a standard Vario and buy the upgraded shut-off hopper and metal portaholder :)
moosepucky
moosepucky
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Grinder: Super Jolly - Forte BG -...
Vac Pot: Cona - Santos
Drip: Bodum - Chemex - Hario -...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828-B
Posted Mon Dec 16, 2013, 9:33am

Vario:

Time my go off a little (time to weight ratio) when you change the grind setting.

The coarser the grind the faster the beans will flow through the burrs the more coffee will be ground.

The finer the grind setting the slower the beans will flow through.

for espresso your settings may vary just slightly so the volume/amount difference at the same time setting should be negligible.  The difference will begin to show up should you move to a med grind setting where you will get more coffee (volume) ground in the same amount of time.

As long as you remember this and adjust the time up or down for the different grind settings you should be fine

Vario-W:

Since this grinder runs based on the weight of the finished ground coffee in the bin it is always going to be dead on (within 0.2 +/- grams) regardless of the grind settings.

I've owned a Vario-w and found it to be a nice espresso grinder and the weight was always dead on.  I used an OE metal funnel in the portafilter to help get the ground coffee from the grinder bin into the portafilter without spilling which worked very nicely but this is just one extra step as you cannot grind directly into the portafilter with a Vario-W.

I enjoyed using the Vario-W for espresso and got extremely consistent shot volumes with very little "fiddling" with the fine tuning grind settings (up or down a click or so was all I needed to change based on what beans I was grinding) but YMMV.

The Vario-W really shines on pour over as you can dial in your weight exactly every time without the use of another set of scales to weigh the ungrounded beans (or the finished grind weight)

View Profile Visit website Link to this post
tglodjo
tglodjo

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Virtuoso
Drip: Wave, V60, Chemex, Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Dec 16, 2013, 9:35am

Let me add that if you plan on grinding for any method other than espresso, I'd go with the Vario-W for sure. I only switched to the timed model when I got a dedicated pour over/drip grinder.
jdevleerjr

Posted Mon Dec 16, 2013, 10:26am

Thanks guys

I only plan to do espresso with this grinder as I have a 2nd grinder for french press or pour overs.  I want to grind right into the portafilter so It looks like the standard Vario it is.  Saves me about $100 bucks too!
jpag

Posted Mon Dec 23, 2013, 9:53pm

I just upgraded from the Rocky to the Vario-W and it's awesome.  I had some regrets until I tried the shots from the Vario.  I was on the fence about the Vario vs Vario-W, but I think it's only preference at that point.  If grinding directly into the portafilter is what you want, Vario, if you want to ensure every grind is the same weight, Vario-W.

Either way, in the cup, the quality of grind from the Vario is the best I've tasted.  Maybe some day I'll be able to taste test shots from a Super Caimano with a Slayer and Speedster, but for now, the Vario does the job well.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Baratza Vario vs...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.237286090851)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+