Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Ebay Price on New Vario Question
Quick Mill Back in Stock
All Quick Mill Machine ready to ship. Free Ship. Silvano, Anita, Alexia, 2B, Andreja, QM67, Monza!
cupandbrew.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Ebay Price on...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
JerDGold

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Breville...
Drip: Chemex
Posted Mon Dec 23, 2013, 10:58am
Subject: Ebay Price on New Vario Question

So new Varios on ebay are 449 OBO.  I offered 275 and the seller came back at $350.  How much does Baratza sell refurbs for?  Does anyone have experience with Buying Baratza products new off ebay and getting support from Baratza? Seller  (with a ton of positive feedback) says items listed as New do come with factory warranties.  Dos everyone think a new Vario for 350 is the right move, or should I be looking to pay less with a used machine?

Also, shipping is free.

Also, are people generally as happy with a Vario as people are with Minis, Compak k3 touch, Rocky, and macap m4?
 View Profile Link to this post
SJM

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: SAMA, Gaggia Classic
Grinder: K-10PB, Rancilio MD-50
Vac Pot: no like
Drip: no like
Roaster: HotTop
Posted Mon Dec 23, 2013, 11:03am
Subject: Re: Ebay Price on New Vario Question

Here is Baratza's list of current refurbs

Click Here (www.baratza.com)
JerDGold

Posted Mon Dec 23, 2013, 11:05am

Right, but that's a Preciso and a Vario-W. I looked at that, but still dont know what a Vario goes for refurbished.
SJM

Espresso: SAMA, Gaggia Classic
Grinder: K-10PB, Rancilio MD-50
Vac Pot: no like
Drip: no like
Roaster: HotTop
Posted Mon Dec 23, 2013, 11:16am

I suspect the only way to know that is to stay tuned in to that page.
I understand that Baratza updates it weekly.
Javadawg

Espresso: Starbucks/Saeco Barista
Grinder: Starbucks Burr
Posted Mon Dec 23, 2013, 11:20am

JerDGold Said:

So new Varios on ebay are 449 OBO.  I offered 275 and the seller came back at $350.  How much does Baratza sell refurbs for?  Does anyone have experience with Buying Baratza products new off ebay and getting support from Baratza? Seller  (with a ton of positive feedback) says items listed as New do come with factory warranties.  Dos everyone think a new Vario for 350 is the right move, or should I be looking to pay less with a used machine?

Also, shipping is free.

Also, are people generally as happy with a Vario as people are with Minis, Compak k3 touch, Rocky, and macap m4?

Posted December 23, 2013 link

Earlier this week Baratza had a refurb Vario on their page for $360, and it went within a day. I just picked up a new Vario from a seller on eBay for $350 with free shipping. Feel like that's a pretty good deal. I would jump on it if you're sure the grinder is the one you want. From my research and members on here it seems like the Vario is a very capable entry level grinder.
CMIN

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Mon Dec 23, 2013, 11:24am

JerDGold Said:

Also, shipping is free.

Posted December 23, 2013 link

I wouldn't put the Rocky in that class with the others, build quality wise yes, but not grind quality/ease of use/taste etc. That said a Vario will outperform those mentioned for taste in cup and ease of use, your getting little retention and nice fluffy grinds. The new models with the fixes seem fine, some of the earlier ones like the 1st year or two had some finicky issues with maintaining grind adjustment etc. My buddies had his for about 2 years I think and it's fine, no wandering grind issues like some reported on earlier versions. He had a Mazzer Mini too and got rid it for the Vario. It performs like a Super Jolley in the cup, which is a class above those grinders you mentioned.

Can't recall what a refurbed Vario goes for exactly, just have to keep an eye on that page. Either way, $350 for a new one is a bargain. Used the Mini and K3 and would take the Vario over it. Owners of the M4 and Vario have given the Vario the nod. Will it hast 20 years, pry not, easy to work on and get parts for, Baratza has the best customer service. Their solid grinders, just don't expect to have that hulking 20+ pound carved out of a bank vault feel. If you must have the solid metal bank vault build I would personally look for a used Super Jolley in that price range, no offense to any of the owners of grinders in that class (Mini etc)
JerDGold

Posted Mon Dec 23, 2013, 2:20pm

Trigger has been pulled.  For anyone interested, on ebay, zoes-stuff sells brand new Varios at 449 OBO.  I countered the 449 with 275 and they came back at 350, all with free shipping.  You may even be bale to get the price lower, who knows.  Just don't tell me if you do, please.  Here's the link for anyone interested.
Click Here (cgi.ebay.com)
sherpakid

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Quickmill Silvano
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Virtuoso
Drip: Chemex, Aeropress, Clever...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Dec 23, 2013, 2:21pm

Be careful buying on ebay. Know who the seller is. I retail Baratza grinders and our site was hit with an influx of people trying to purchase Baratza grinders with stolen credit cards and then resell them on eBay. You could be unknowingly purchasing stolen goods. I'd recommend buying from Baratza directly or another reputable source.

A new Vario for $350 is below the minimum advertised pricing (MAP) set by Baratza that retailer's must abide by. So either 1. someone bought it new and decided for some reason they didn't want it, so they are taking a loss on selling it on ebay, trying to recoup some of their funds, 2. it was purchased with stolen credit cards, so they can resell it at whatever cost and make a decent profit, 3. they are not honoring the MAP they agreed to.

For a retailer to sell a Vario new for $350 leaves so little profit margin, that I can't even imagine it worth the effort to put it on ebay.

www.prohibitionspecialtycoffee.com
JerDGold

Posted Mon Dec 23, 2013, 2:31pm

I appreciate the feedback, and while I don't have a ton of experience recently on Ebay, the seller does have over 24,000 positive feedback.  Hopefully it works out, because I already sent payment.  Thanks for the heads up, I'll keep everyone posted.
SpaceTime

Espresso: (2) Olympia Creminas - '83 &...
Grinder: Four hand grinders and two...
Drip: Freiling 33 & 44oz FP,...
Posted Mon Dec 23, 2013, 7:37pm

I would say you are fine with 24K positive feedback - typically the fraudsters that hit Ebay have low feedback counts, as they and come and go quickly .  Ebay can be a great place to shop if you stick with the proven veteran sellers, aka the ones who have the feedback and sales to back up credibility.... as you know.  Plus, if I am buying a specialty item (like a grinder) from a seller who sells a little of everything - I tend to go into their feedback profile and see if they sell a lot of that item, and see how other buyers liked it.  I would rather buy a grinder from a seller who has sold a many of them, with the customer feedback to testify quality!

I have bought a lot of stuff on Ebay, and sell a lot of stuff on Ebay myself, and have never really had an issue - but I take some simple steps to save the headache.... just like you did.

That being said, 24K positive feedback with 98% satisfaction could mean lots of unhappy buyers! :-)  I try to work with sellers with as close to 100% feedback rating as possible.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Ebay Price on...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.256777048111)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+