Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Grindmaster 875 recalibration
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Grindmaster 875...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
Author Messages
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Mon Dec 23, 2013, 7:59am
Subject: Grindmaster 875 recalibration

I bought a GM 875 a while back and just ended up storing it for over almost 2 years.  Back when I bought it I was drinking mainly press so I thought the grinder was dialed in properly.  Last night I dug it up, cleaned it up and threw in some beans.  Got fine press at the turkish setting.. I ripped out the burr assembly and noticed the grind adjustment is actually stepless. Not realizing this at first I dialed it down to the zero point and the manual only states that they are calibrated when the are built at the manufacturer...  Has anyone made adjustments to these grinders at all? The burrs look more then ok and I'd like to calibrate this grinder by just roasting up a few pounds but I am worried the motor inside with so much torque might do damage to the burrs if I dial too low.
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Burner0000

Posted Mon Dec 23, 2013, 8:08am
Subject: Re: Grindmaster 875 recalibration

Just found a video 30 seconds after posting this.. lol

Click  If anyone need it.  I will try this first but any tips on this type of grinder will help.  I want to make spending $300 on new burrs a last resort.  

The seller told me this grinder was lightly used and the manual stated that each burr set can eat up 30,000 lb of beans before they need to be replaced.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Dec 23, 2013, 8:39pm

Well, I am not sure exactly what information would be useful.
I have the Curtis grinder but they are pretty much the same thing and are similar in adjustment. The one I have, I only use for drip or Aeropress grinding at work. I think I paid $25 for it so I feel no pain with such a light use.

They are not really good for espresso grinding, remember where they are mostly placed, in Supermarkets ect where the patrons grind stale beans from the Tube-O-Beans display or the stale bags of whole beans on the shelf for 6 months. The finer end of the grind setting rarely get used much as they grind for drip, likely  99% of the time.

The 30K pounds of beans is the same kind of number that is given for the Curtis machine. I am not sure what the burrs look like on the Bunn but on the Curtis, they are more like progressively finer and finer rings of peg type teeth, not the cutter burrs we are used to seeing on our espresso grinder. They rely more on pulverization than cutting and when you consider how the grinder works, the resulting grind is quite good!

I think if you just adjust it like on the video, you should be fine, you are right as it is stepless but there are detents in the adjustment ring/knob. At least there are with the Curtis.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Burner0000

Posted Mon Dec 23, 2013, 9:44pm

Oh no I didn't mean stepless as in use for espresso.  I calibrated it like in the video and still got road gravel for Turkish. Looks like I will be dishing out $300 for burrs when I got the dow.. lol
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Posted Tue Dec 24, 2013, 10:14am

ouch!
What do the burrs look like? Are they concentric rings of "teeth" or are they cut teeth as in what you see on a espresso grinder?
On the Currtis, the teeth are cast pegs or pins, there is no machining on them so I would not expect a "great" fine grind. Like I said above, it does a pretty good job as a drip grade grinder though.

What use were you planning to use it for? A second grinder? An Other grinder? A toy to play with ?

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Burner0000

Posted Tue Dec 24, 2013, 10:23am

calblacksmith Said:

ouch!
What do the burrs look like? Are they concentric rings of "teeth" or are they cut teeth as in what you see on a espresso grinder?
On the Currtis, the teeth are cast pegs or pins, there is no machining on them so I would not expect a "great" fine grind. Like I said above, it does a pretty good job as a drip grade grinder though.

What use were you planning to use it for? A second grinder? An Other grinder? A toy to play with ?

Posted December 24, 2013 link

Definitely concentric.  The teeth look a bit rounded, I assume dull.  Turkish grind the coffee looks like press.  I want to use it for drip and press mainly.  Second grinder.

I should also mention that U would like to use it for a drip station down the road but I'm thinking the steps might be too big for that.
boar_d_laze

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Wed Dec 25, 2013, 2:18pm

I've never played with a Grindmanster, but have fooled around with similar Bunns -- and we're currently using a "Bunnzilla" modded G1 HD for our non-espresso grinding.    

If the burrs were adjusted correctly -- i.e., backed off very slightly from touching at the finest setting -- worn or not, they should be too close to one another to produce a coarse grind at that setting.  It's likely something else is going on besides wear.  

At a guess, the adjusting screw isn't supplying the right amount of pressure to the shear cover, because it's slipping; and it's slipping because the knob retainer screws either aren't tightened down, or are tightened unevenly.  

With the motor off, try turning the grind adjustment knob quickly back and forth as far as it will go.  If the adjusting screw appears to move within the knob -- it's not locked down and that's your problem.  If it doesn't appear to move, try readjusting the burrs from scratch; after reassembly, turn on the grinder and keep your eye on the adjusting screw.  If it moves, (here we go again) it's not locked down and that's your problem.  

If worse comes to worst, and you do need new burrs, there's still good news.  They're $165, not $300.

BDL
Burner0000

Posted Wed Dec 25, 2013, 2:28pm

boar_d_laze Said:

I've never played with a Grindmanster, but have fooled around with similar Bunns -- and we're currently using a "Bunnzilla" modded G1 HD for our non-espresso grinding.    

If the burrs were adjusted correctly -- i.e., backed off very slightly from touching at the finest setting -- worn or not, they should be too close to one another to produce a coarse grind at that setting.  It's likely something else is going on besides wear.  

At a guess, the adjusting screw isn't supplying the right amount of pressure to the shear cover, because it's slipping; and it's slipping because the knob retainer screws either aren't tightened down, or are tightened unevenly.  

With the motor off, try turning the grind adjustment knob quickly back and forth as far as it will go.  If the adjusting screw appears to move within the knob -- it's not locked down and that's your problem.  If it doesn't appear to move, try readjusting the burrs from scratch; after reassembly, turn on the grinder and keep your eye on the adjusting screw.  If it moves, (here we go again) it's not locked down and that's your problem.  

If worse comes to worst, and you do need new burrs, there's still good news.  They're $165

Posted December 25, 2013 link

, not $300.  

BDL

Where did you see them for $165?  I will try this in the next day or two and show a pic possibly a video of the grind adjust and such.
boar_d_laze

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Wed Dec 25, 2013, 2:33pm

Burner0000 Said:

Where did you see them for $165?  I will try this in the next day or two and show a pic possibly a video of the grind adjust and such.

Posted December 25, 2013 link

Coffee Wholesale

I intended to include the link in the first post, but made a formatting error.  Now corrected.  

BDL
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Posted Wed Dec 25, 2013, 8:18pm

Those burrs are like the ones on my Curtis, not at all like the burrs in my Bunn G92HD or Bunn LPG or my NS MCD 65, those all haveground burrs but the bulk grinders we have are not designed for real fine grinding, rather they are good for drip etc, I ask again, what use are you trying to use it for? It is good though that the burrs are not as expensive as you first thought.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.

showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Grindmaster 875...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.289166927338)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+