Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Capresso 560, Starbucks Barista EL60; Which one should I keep?
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Capresso 560,...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
jetmac

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Dec 27, 2013, 6:13am
Subject: Capresso 560, Starbucks Barista EL60; Which one should I keep?

I have never made my own espresso. I've been to SB many times. I want to make my own now. I have these 2 grinders. I see alot of good recommendations for the Barista but it can't come close to grinding as fine as the Capresso 560. I plan to mostly pull a double shot on Sat and Sun but, if it's not very time consuming, I would like to pull 1 or 2 shots each day. The espresso machines I am considering are the De'Longhi BAR32 Retro or the De'Longhi EC155. I realize these are really low end but that's about what my budget allows for now. I will upgrade as time goes on.  So I need to get rid of either the Barista grinder or the Capresso. Which one would would anyone recommend I sell?
 View Profile Link to this post
boar_d_laze

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Fri Dec 27, 2013, 8:37am
Subject: Re: Capresso 560, Starbucks Barista EL60; Which one should I keep?

Neither grinder is nearly good enough for decent espresso, nor is either machine.    

I suggest buying either an Aeropress or a good French press (preferably an Espro) and using it for the meantime.  What they brew isn't espresso but it will tell you almost as much about the bean as espresso, while providing your mouth far more joy than bad espresso.  If you really want something like espresso but can't afford the real thing -- and you can't -- you might think about a Mokapot.  

Both of your grinders are adequate for non-espresso brewing as long as you don't set too high a bar for "adequate."  A better grinder will make a big improvement for non-espresso brewing but the need isn't quite as dire.  Good non-espresso grinders start at just under $200.    

In the meantime, keep saving until you can afford an adequate espresso setup.  After you've banked a few hundred, plan around the grinder rather than the machine.  Think of the Baratza Preciso ($300) as something of a minimum for espresso, and of the Orphan Espresso (OE) Pharos (similarly priced) as a kludgy, hand-cranked, huge bargain.  

In case it needs saying, you can put together a very good setup for for considerably less money by buying used.  

BDL
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
mennamorato

Espresso: Rocket Cellini Premium Plus...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Posted Fri Dec 27, 2013, 8:47am

I wholeheartedly agree with BDL. Use a different method of making coffee until you have the money to purchase a decent setup.
jetmac

Posted Fri Dec 27, 2013, 3:01pm

Sounds like good advice BDL. I do have an Aeropress and a cheap glass French press. I guess I was just wanting to get by until I could afford good stuff, but I don't want bad espresso. "but it will tell you almost as much about the bean as espresso, while providing your mouth far more joy than bad espresso." Interesting. Maybe I could sell my cheap glass french press and a grinder and get  the get the good Espro press to hold me over. Which grinder would you suggest I sell? The Capresso grinds finer but the Barista is much quieter and smaller.
mennamorato

Espresso: Rocket Cellini Premium Plus...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Posted Fri Dec 27, 2013, 6:37pm

I'd sell the Barista, and when your ready to upgrade sell the Capresso too.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Capresso 560,...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Gourmet Organic Coffee
Temblor is a smooth high-grown Guatemalan coffee that presents notes of spice and chocolate.
thelostgringo.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.196861982346)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+