Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
New Olympia Moca Grinder - 2014 Version - ETA of 6/2014
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > New Olympia Moca...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
SpaceTime

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: 83 & 89 Cremina, 85 Coffex
Grinder: HG One, Pharos, LIDO
Drip: Freiling 33 & 44oz FP,...
Posted Wed Jan 8, 2014, 1:57pm
Subject: New Olympia Moca Grinder - 2014 Version - ETA of 6/2014

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H71HXxe_qSU

I cannot find any real details on burr size dimensions, weight, etc  for the 2014 model.  High level details at Cerini's here:

Cerini's - Moca Grinder

I like the looks of it... from past discussions, the older model needed improvements.  Anyone have any insight - past or present?  Chances of it being wildly "over-priced?"  Lol
 View Profile Link to this post
z0mbie
z0mbie
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Wed Jan 8, 2014, 9:08pm
Subject: Re: New Olympia Moca Grinder - 2014 Version - ETA of 6/2014

SpaceTime Said:

Chances of it being wildly "over-priced?"  Lol

Posted January 8, 2014 link

Compared to.....

:)
SpaceTime

Posted Wed Jan 8, 2014, 9:22pm

...history and precedent?

;)

I dunno, just feeding off the perception that Olympia Express retail pricing has a small premium for some of the products... guess it can be argued / debated all day long  - and I am sure it has!!  Of course it is all relative to ones budget, needs, wants, tastes, bank account... and how much the cool factor of having that cool looking grinder sitting next to your Cremina weighs... (that has to mean something, no?  Especially if you were to have, say, TWO Creminas :-))
PavoniMaster

Posted Sun Jan 12, 2014, 1:20pm

This looks really cool. It sounded rather quiet in the video. Actually it sounded like a quality grinder. I'll have to check with the new US retailer if they've updated the Cremina or Maximatic for 2014 as well.
uscfroadie
uscfroadie

Espresso: GS/3 Strada MP, BDB; owned...
Grinder: Forte, Zass and PeDe hand...
Vac Pot: Nope
Drip: Nope
Roaster: owned Behmor
Posted Sun Jan 12, 2014, 1:59pm

It looks somewhat like a Mahlkönig ProM in a new metal casing, but it only has a 200 watt motor, so the burrs will be small.  I'll forecast a price of $1750 - purely a WAG.
PavoniMaster

Posted Sun Jan 12, 2014, 5:14pm

Yeah, I thought it looks like a Pro M as well; probably because of the knob on the side. What's the wattage of the ProM motor?
SpaceTime

Posted Wed Jan 15, 2014, 10:35pm

PavoniMaster Said:

Yeah, I thought it looks like a Pro M as well; probably because of the knob on the side. What's the wattage of the ProM motor?

Posted January 12, 2014 link

Pro M = 265 on the standard and 450 on the "all arounder" model... both are belt driven on the Pro M. (from Chris coffee).

For some relative comparison, the Mini E drives 64mm burrs at 250 watts... and I would not consider those "small".

Then again, Roadie has 71 mm burrs, and could have gotten 83mm, so everything by comparison is small!  LOL

I would hope they would not be much smaller than 54mm...
PavoniMaster

Posted Sun Jan 19, 2014, 11:15am

More info on the newly redesigned Olympia website

http://www.olympia-express.ch/en/products/moca

Looks like 64mm Burrs, paired with a 300 watt motor
uscfroadie
uscfroadie

Espresso: GS/3 Strada MP, BDB; owned...
Grinder: Forte, Zass and PeDe hand...
Vac Pot: Nope
Drip: Nope
Roaster: owned Behmor
Posted Sun Jan 19, 2014, 11:41am

SpaceTime Said:

Pro M = 265 on the standard and 450 on the "all arounder" model... both are belt driven on the Pro M. (from Chris coffee).

For some relative comparison, the Mini E drives 64mm burrs at 250 watts... and I would not consider those "small".

Then again, Roadie has 71 mm burrs, and could have gotten 83mm, so everything by comparison is small!  LOL

I would hope they would not be much smaller than 54mm...

Posted January 15, 2014 link

One thing a LOT of people don't understand properly is that a given size burr increase does not guarantee a better grind.  For instance, the Mini E's burrs are the same size as the SJ; however, the two sets of burrs are completely different.  More important is the total grind length.  Also, 71mm conical burrs are radically different than say 68mm flat burrs.

Grind length and aggressiveness of the cutting surfaces dictate the the torque needed for the motor.  Cerini's site says a 200 watt motor, so I'm not expecting this thing to really be a real player.  

One last thing...at some point you hit the point of diminishing returns.  In the case of Mazzer's Robur burrs, the 71mm (115V) equal the 83mm (220-240V) in the cup, but the 220-240V Robur is REALLY fast...like 3 seconds for 18 grams fast.
anatinus

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: cremina
Grinder: moca
Roaster: hottop P
Posted Fri Feb 28, 2014, 7:51am

Just to add to the information in your thread The factory’s web site indicated that it has newly designed burrs a 300 watt motor and the hopper is redesigned so that you can’t grind if the the hopper is not properly locked in place. Thr swiss price will be 1250.00CHF which I believe is the current price. The distributor in Australia tells me that it will sell for AUD$1850.00

Ciao

Anatinus
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > New Olympia Moca...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.283475875854)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+