Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Mazzer luigi grinder
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Mazzer luigi...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
TinaTheBrit

Expertise: Pro Barista

Posted Fri Jan 24, 2014, 5:54am
Subject: Mazzer luigi grinder

We have the Mazzer grinders that have the automatic dispenser, where you program in how much you want to come out and all you do is press the button and it weighs out the perfect amount.
My issue is that in the morning when we go to dial it in its become nearly impossible to get it right. It's always so off that it takes sometimes an hour to dial it in.

I have always used the manual grinder where you weigh out each shot, so I don't like these at all.

Does anyone have any advice on how to handle these grinders and dialing them in?
 View Profile Link to this post
DavecUK

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Jan 24, 2014, 5:59am
Subject: Re: Mazzer luigi grinder

It's difficult, I don't like dosers, because unless the establishment is perpetually busy, the coffee dries out in the doser and the shots run fast. Then the next time the Doser refills the coffee runs slow again. They are a right PITA. If your set on replacement, get a grind on demand, far more consistent.
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Fri Jan 24, 2014, 7:10am

DavecUK Said:

It's difficult, I don't like dosers, because unless the establishment is perpetually busy, the coffee dries out in the doser and the shots run fast. Then the next time the Doser refills the coffee runs slow again. They are a right PITA. If your set on replacement, get a grind on demand, far more consistent.

Posted January 24, 2014 link

Agree with this. Even in a busy shop I'd take an grind-on-demand grinder any day, and I'll never understand how people at home put up with a doser, I played with a doser Mazzer and no thank you.
kolu
kolu

Espresso: Grimac La Uno
Grinder: Mahlkönig Guatemala, Porlex
Drip: Kalita Wave, Aeropress
Posted Fri Jan 24, 2014, 8:18am

http://youtu.be/YA4pgraoCGc?t=2m48s

this is the correct way of using a doser.
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Fri Jan 24, 2014, 8:25am

The YouTube video is blocked here at work, but home users don't use dosers the same way cafes do.  Rather, we continually empty the doser into the pf as the grounds exit the chute, grinding only what is needed for the shot.  Some people single dose into the throat and then do this, others use the hopper.  This practice agitates the grounds and breaks up any clumps that may have formed.  We don't leave grounds in the doser.  We brush out the chute and any remaining grounds either between shots or sessions (depending on the "barista"). Is that a PITA? Not to me.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
TinaTheBrit

Posted Fri Jan 24, 2014, 12:02pm

Thanks for the replies!

we have two of them, one for regular and one for decaf. We are a newer shop so we have lots of slow random times throughout the day where we don't pull any shots. So, I will try having everyone clear the chute.

I am VERY picky about everything being cleaned properly, so they are always cleaned right. I am just at a loss, the owner wanted the most high tech machines, and even though I have always does manual dosing and wasn't sure about these dosers, he got them, and I REALLY hate them haha

what a pain in the butt. But, he probably won't let me convince him to switch for a while now.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Mazzer luigi...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.231369972229)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+