Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Mazzer Major's NEW hopper assembly - mod update w photos
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Mazzer Major's...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Thu Feb 6, 2014, 8:22am
Subject: Mazzer Major's NEW hopper assembly - mod update w photos

OK, so I've read the Kony mods on Randy's site espressomyespresso, and thought they'd apply to my brand spankin' new Major.  Well, boy was I wrong!

First, off the hopper assembly: Mazzer has cracked down on removing the hopper from the black plastic collar.  They seem determined to twart home use - which is stated to be prohibited in their manual using bold all capital letters. Anyhow, I'm determined to to get past this setback. I tried prying out the two tabs at the side of the collar, which seemingly hold the hopper in place, and they didn't budge.  I managed to get a spring steel allen wrench under one of them, and the damn thing broke at it's 90 turn.  So, being in the medical field, I grabbed a couple of steel instruments to try to latch onto the tab (one), or get under it (a different one), and they freaking bent! Last try was early this am, as I had an extra half hour before I had to leave for work. I figured, "I'll just get out my Dremel and cut through the base of the tabs to remove them"...I mean, it's not like I'm ever going to want to use the enormous hopper anyways. Well, the Dremel did it's thing and cut the tabs clean off...but the hopper still won't come out...wtf?  It's like they not only snap the thing into the two tabs, but they've bonded the two pieces together.  Wow, if I would have known that, I'd have just cut the majority of the hopper clean away where it enters the collar - which is my new plan. I actually brought everything I need for that to work with me today, hoping to have some time for it over lunch.

Second, the finger guard in the doser: MY Major has a timer switch, rather than all the electronics that make it turn on when the doser is empty, so removing the finger guard is simply a matter of taking out two small phillips head screws. In other words, there's no flap at the chute exit to tell the grinder the doser is empty and it needs to run (which is only useful in busy commercial applications). So, for me, there's no taking the base off the machine and making a jumper to connect the leads from which the two wires needed to be removed.  And as far as I can tell from the manual (since I want to finish my mods before I use the grinder), my grinder won't turn on automatically after a set number of doser vane rotations either.

In essence, modding my Major for home use will basically "require": 1) the dose vane mod illustrated by Wayne in his CBSJ mod thread, 2) removing the fingerguard in the doser, so that I can brush out the chute, 3) cutting off excess hopper material to something that is more home user friendly (I wish I had a bandsaw), and 4) making and installing a Schectermatic Schnozzola (I'm making mine out of a thin flexible sheet of brass - and I brought that to work with me too, along with Andy's template printed out on plain paper).  

Perhaps a darkroom timer is in my future, but for a while at least, I'm going to play around with single dosing (or what I would prefer to call double dosing, as I intend to use the two dose method Randy described in his Kony mod how to - essentially, one dose in the throat, below the locking slide, and the second dose in the hopper collar, above the locking slide).

Oh, and in fact...I have 17 3/4" below my cabinets and this grinder will just fit there with the black hopper collar in place (more incentive to use the double dosing method).

Now if I could only find the time to get the mods DONE (hopefully part of them at lunch today)...ah, the beauty of have kids!

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Feb 6, 2014, 11:01am
Subject: Re: Mazzer Major's NEW hopper assembly - taking it apart

Wow, bummer with all the issues!
Just for personal education, I would like to see pics of what exactly you are seeing and doing, I have not had my hands on any of the brand new grinders and you might as well be speaking a different language. What black collar? on the hopper? Is there access to the upper burr carrier? The mini hopper fits all the older Majors as well as the SJ and mini grinders, the entire assy is removed and replaced, none of the old hopper parts are reused.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Thu Feb 6, 2014, 12:05pm

I captured a bunch of pics with my iPhone, which I'll have to upload to a PC and compress of course, to post them here.  In the meantime...the new Major hopper sits in (and is apparently fused with) a black plastic collar (Mazzer's term) that then sits in the opening of the throat.  This collar has the standard horizontal plastic plate seen on many other grinders to stop further egress of beans when desired, which Mazzer calls the "locking slide".  Just above the slide, at 180 degrees to each other, are square windows to the hopper itself, which have plastic tabs, that grab onto a rim at the base of the hopper (making one think they're actually holding the hopper into the collar).  The collar has an extension going towards the back of the grinder, which holds the safety bolt/pin used to release the microswitch (inside the grinder body), so that the grinder will run.  So, bottom line...no pin = no grinding action. Rather than removing or replacing the pin, I want to leave the collar intact, so I can utilize the anti-popcorning effect of the slide and the free space above it for a second dose. There's a picture of the entire assembly on 1st-line.  They're selling them for about $85. No one seems to sell the collar and hopper components separately (now I know why).

I've read that to use the mini hopper, one needs to detach a collar of sorts from the hopper and interchange that part with a similar part on the major. I've also read that the Mini/SJ hopper doesn't actually fit the Major.  Are you saying none of that info is correct?  If so, I'm wondering, with the new design, does interchangeablity still work? I think I'm going to 1) buff out the scratches I made on the black collar, and 2) continue with my hopper chop project, since it won't cost me anything (unless I ever decide to sell this baby - like, when hell freezes over, lol).  However, maybe one day, I'll have my setup in a different location and will want to revert to a small hopper, then putting in a Mini small one would make a lot of sense to me.

Anyhow...photos coming later...though perhaps to your email first, Wayne :)

emradguy
emradguy

Posted Thu Feb 6, 2014, 12:21pm

regarding access to upper burr carrier...I thik so, though I haven't played around with the rest of the grinder yet.  Having never installed the hopper assembly, and looking down into the throat, the grinding chamber is barely visible due to the adjustment ring collar, which iirc, is attached to or sitting right on top of the upper burr carrier?

calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Posted Fri Feb 7, 2014, 1:54pm

I looked at the photos and as I wrote in my email to you, it looks like Mazzer has added a trim ring or cap to the hopper assy of the grinder. The hole to the grind chamber through the upper carrier is most likely still the same (a wild guess here, I have not seen it but given tooling costs etc, that is the way I am betting) The upper carrier on the old grinders is chrome plated so looking at it isn't a big deal.  The hole through the upper carrier has a taper to it to accept the hopper and allow it to seat snugly, if yours still has a taper and guessing by your pics, it does, then I would be 98% sure that the mini hopper will just drop into the upper carrier after the entire upper trim assy and hopper are removed. I don't know what the top of the grinder looks like with the trim removed though so that is a judgement call. I will need to measure the smallest and largest dia of the mini hopper and if your access hole is within the dimensions, I can't see why the mini hopper will not fit.

I am going to need to find a parts sheet for the new Major to see what is going on. Hang in there, we will find something that works :D

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

emradguy
emradguy

Posted Fri Feb 7, 2014, 2:46pm

Thanks Wayne.  For the time being....and maybe longer....I'm going to be ok doing this double single dosing bit I'm planning, but I will also do my part and use my calipers to take some measurements of the burr carrier throat and the lower portion of the hopper assembly collar that fits into it.

Since no one else is privy to our email exchange, and I haven't had a chance to compress the photos yet....

I used a hacksaw to cut off the excess part of the hopper (which to me was everything sticking out of the hopper assembly collar - that's the black part).  The collar, with the little bit of hopper that's fused into it, still fits perfectly on top of the grinder (since that part wasn't modified), and the whole thing just barely slides under my above-counter cabinets (though I probably will rearrange my bar to avoid sliding it in and out to add beans).  I am able to drop a dose into the throat, close the locking slide, and then put a second dose on top of it for when the first dose is finished. This is what I would like to coin double single dosing...or double dosing, for short.  The closed locking slide will also combat popcorning during the grind.

Today I cut my schnozzola piece out of the brass sheet.  It's thin enough to use a pair of scissors and it looks really nice.  Now to "assemble" and install it. I plan to use Gorilla glue, as I've read it's good for metal and food safe when cured.

Last step is the doser vane mod...another nightmare actually...lmao! The screws holding the doser on are hex head and smaller than my smallest hex head wrench (which is 5mm).  I'm really hoping they're 4mm or 4.5mm, as that's the smallest I was able to find at O'Reilly today when I had time to go look (it's the only place close enough for me to purchase any tools over lunch).  If they're smaller than 4mm, I guess I'll just do the vane mod with the doser attached.

calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Posted Fri Feb 7, 2014, 3:22pm

You may want to rethink the Gorilla glue, it is an expanding foam type glue and it can make a real mess. Well any of the Gorilla gules I have used were that way, I suppose that there could be one I have not seen. YMMV

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.

emradguy
emradguy

Posted Fri Feb 7, 2014, 3:30pm

ok...do you have another idea for bonding the brass together, food safe?  Also, keep in mind...not everyone is a blacksmith :)

btw, I did know that about the G glue, was just thinking if I kept it to a thin film and clamped it overnight (and wiped up the excess before it cured), I'd be able to get a good enough bond

EDIT TO UPDATE:

I used lead free solder to bond the ends of the brass together, then ground and polished it nice and pretty using a Dremel too. The bond wokrs great, but I didn't check my intended overlap on the grinder before bonding it, so now I have to make it all over agian. No biggie though, Now I know exactly how to get it done right.

Doser mod - done and working great!
Hopper mod - done and working great!

First impressions of grind quality versus my Macap M4s - waaaay smoother mouthfeel, but much nicer flavor profile.  I am loving this grinder so far.

I really like the Macap wormdrive stepless adjustment much, much better though, It's far easier to turn and control exactly where you move it.  The Macap doser sweeps almost as cleanly as the modded Mazzer, and really doesn't need any modification.  

Photos coming (I just need to load them to my PC and compress them)...sorry for the delay...

emradguy
emradguy

Posted Fri Feb 14, 2014, 8:10am

Here are the photos finally! Sorry for the delay...

Here's the hopper with the collar...

emradguy: hopper collar precut tab off.jpg
(Click for larger image)

emradguy
emradguy

Posted Fri Feb 14, 2014, 8:11am

...and a close up of the tab window...

emradguy: hopper collar tab off.jpg
(Click for larger image)

showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Mazzer Major's...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.282034158707)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+