Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Mazzer Major's NEW hopper assembly - mod update w photos
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Mazzer Major's...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Fri Feb 14, 2014, 8:12am
Subject: Re: Mazzer Major's NEW hopper assembly - taking it apart

I cut the hopper off with a hacksaw.  The throat will hold one dose and with the sliding lock closed, another dose can be placed on top of it...

emradguy: hopper collar cut.jpg
(Click for larger image)

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Fri Feb 14, 2014, 8:14am

and Wayne asked to see the throat and adjustment ring...seems to be unchanged from earlier designs...

The linear slot at the back of the grinder receives the flat tab in the base of the collar (see prior photo).  the hole for the lag bolt in the collar is hidden between the adjustment ring and that linear slot...

emradguy: throat.jpg
(Click for larger image)

emradguy
emradguy

Posted Fri Feb 14, 2014, 8:15am

this sketch of the collar shows crucial measurements taken using Groz calipers...

emradguy: collar sketch.jpg
(Click for larger image)

calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Fri Feb 14, 2014, 10:51am

Thanks for getting the pics up.
The safety interlock must be a proximity switch with something in the shroud that has been added, perhaps a magnet sensor. It does not look like the tab presses a switch in the slot does it? If so, that is a REAL easy "fix" :D

EDIT
After looking at the sketch, if that tab is really that long, then it seems that it simply presses down into the slot and activates a switch inside the grinder. Cutting the tab and screw assy off the shroud would then just screw into place as it always would and you could put any hopper on you want. A perhaps a better looking tab could be made to fit into the slot and to be screwed down yet be more streamlined or heck even a wooden top made for the grinder out of an exotic wood to be an accent to the top of the grinder while providing an override to the safety switch :D That could look good if done properly :D:D:D

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Fri Feb 14, 2014, 12:18pm

I like your idea about making a nice looking wooden piece to fit the back of the grinder.  I'll probably do something like that when I'm ready to employ a small hopper...'cause, as you may recall, I like woodworking.

gbastiani1952
gbastiani1952

Espresso: QM Andreja Premium
Grinder: Cimbali Junior
Drip: Crusinart
Posted Sun Feb 16, 2014, 6:11pm

What a lot of work, couldn't you find something else that the major can do but would of been a lot easier to mod. just asking

Gery Bastiani
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Feb 17, 2014, 7:32am

gbastiani1952 Said:

What a lot of work, couldn't you find something else that the major can do but would of been a lot easier to mod. just asking

Posted February 16, 2014 link

I know it looks like a lot of hassle but the situation is that the NEW Major design, has a safety switch built in (it used to not have one) so that you can not operate it without a hopper in place. The other hoppers do not have the switch provision and Mazzer specifically states that it is a commercial only grinder and should not be used any other place. The new safety hopper seems to be a way they have come up with to prevent the grinder from fitting under any cabinet to discourage home use.

My PERSONAL feeling is I don't know why Mazzer is so opposed to home use. A non geek is not going to buy a Major, heck we have a hard enough time getting them to buy a Vario. A geek will know how to operate the grinder and will be VERY unlikely to hurt themselves with it. I understand things like lawsuits and the fear of them and I am guessing that they are the reason behind the safety hopper.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Mon Feb 17, 2014, 7:37pm

gbastiani1952 Said:

Posted February 16, 2014 link

Like Wayne said, Mazzer is pretty determined to keep this grinder in the hands of professionals.  However, yeah...I could have done it all easier.

The doser mod is the same as Wayne described in his CBSJ thread, except my doser took two less screws to remove it. I could stick to paper for my schnozzola, like everyone else, but I want to make a really cool permanent, yet removable one, so I'm dealing with this brass sheet...and I expect the second one to go smooth and easy.

The real problem is the hopper assembly, unless having a hopper capable of holding over 2# of beans isn't an issue for you...but I even could have done that easier.  Here are the options I see:

1) cut off the hopper from the collar. I could have put it in a clamp or vise and used my Sawzall, but I decided to use a hacksaw.
2) cut off the tab that activates the microswitch, so that the grinder can be used hopperless, or with a different hopper.
3) fabricate a replacement for the tab, and then go hopperless or find a replacement hopper.

showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Mazzer Major's...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.282842874527)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+