Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
New OE Pharos Grinder - Impressions from a new guy
Quick Mill Back in Stock
All Quick Mill Machine ready to ship. Free Ship. Silvano, Anita, Alexia, 2B, Andreja, QM67, Monza!
cupandbrew.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > New OE Pharos...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
homebrewdude

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: DeLonghi EC702
Grinder: Looking
Drip: Bunn
Roaster: NONE
Posted Wed Feb 19, 2014, 8:38pm
Subject: New OE Pharos Grinder - Impressions from a new guy

Received the Pharos in the mail.

Really simple to setup, not much to it.

Set the adjustment nut to one turn instructions said it would probably choke the machine, it did.
I played around until it seemed like I had a good grind for my cheap machine.

Running the beans through was no issue.
It was not easy to hold, I thought it should have a handle on it.
But then I watched the OE video on it, and saw him grab the center - so it is really a non-issue.

Dumping them out the hole in the bottom was no issue.  
I do think I need to find a small stainless bowl to rest the machine on when I dump them.
Or maybe my Illy can when it is empty?

I have read about all the mods and such.
Assuming the machine will maintain the grind setting, and I don't have to continually adjust it, I don't think I need any.
I only bought it for Espresso.  I have a Kitchenaid for drip coffee.
 View Profile Link to this post
sonnyhad3

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Wega Mininova, Cremina, and...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky, hand...
Roaster: Behmor1600
Posted Thu Feb 20, 2014, 2:34pm
Subject: Re: New OE Pharos Grinder - Impressions from a new guy

I wanted to order one and the website isn't accepting orders, it says they are getting cought up! Darn!
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Thu Feb 20, 2014, 3:35pm

Did you depressurize the Delonghi basket yet? That'll make a big difference between that and the Pharos, don't use the basket stock as it'll make the Pharos pointless. Or grab one of the replacement baskets to hold you over (you were still looking for a lever machine right?). Congrats on the grinder, when you upgrade machines you won't really need any other grinder, look into the VooDoo mods down the road as they make the Pharos more easy/useable, helps with stability as sometimes the banging around to get grounds out stock can throw off the alignment (that's usually where people have issues on the Pharos). However I think the newer batches of the Pharos OE fixed the alignment issues some were having?
CoffeeRon
CoffeeRon

Espresso: Wega Lyra, Europiccola(still...
Grinder: K-30 Vario,Pharos, Vario-W,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam CoffeeMaster
Drip: Melita BCM-4
Roaster: FR SR500,B-1600, SC/TO
Posted Thu Feb 20, 2014, 7:31pm

sonnyhad3 Said:

I wanted to order one and the website isn't accepting orders, it says they are getting cought up! Darn!

Posted February 20, 2014 link

I'm in the same boat! Even E-mailed them to see if I could pre-order/pre-pay. No response as yet. I really want one- especially right now if they're really going to stop making them, I imagine used ones will become harder to find as time goes on.
Pazu

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus IV-R
Grinder: HG-ONE, FUJI ROYAL R220-DX,...
Vac Pot: KONO SK-2A
Drip: TIAMO 01, HARIO 02, TIAMO...
Posted Fri Feb 21, 2014, 12:26am

Pharos is a good grinder for espresso, much better than many electric grinders in such a price.
For espresso you need to adjust the grinder all the time as different beans, freshness and roast level would require different fineness of the ground.
As CMIN suggested, you should change to a non pressurised filter basket in order to experience the real experience of the pharos.
mok
mok

Posted Fri Feb 21, 2014, 5:21pm

Check back often.  Until the grinder is available, you cannot select it for purchase.  i have had mine almost a year.  No mods,  works great !
sonnyhad3

Espresso: Wega Mininova, Cremina, and...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky, hand...
Roaster: Behmor1600
Posted Sat Feb 22, 2014, 4:17pm

I'm checking back everyday, no change yet. Lido2 parts are supposed to hit their doors anyday now so they will extremely busy for awhile given their investment into that project.
jowdawson

Expertise: Professional

Posted Sat Mar 1, 2014, 4:55am

The problem i can identify is the exposure time for the coffee to O2.
From grinding, till in powdered form and transferred to a portafilter.

Massive amount of oxidation expected
boar_d_laze

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Sat Mar 1, 2014, 10:15am

sonnyhad3 Said:

I'm checking back everyday, no change yet. Lido2 parts are supposed to hit their doors anyday now so they will extremely busy for awhile given their investment into that project.

Posted February 22, 2014 link

There's a thread on H-B in which Doug said he's going to build Pharos grinders as and when he feels like it.  Go to H-B and you'll undoubtedly find that the Pharos thread is near the top of the Grinder section.  

Expect them to hit the website four at a time (approximately).  If you're really serious about getting one, check the website twice a day, every day.  If you don't order within a couple of hours after a Pharos becomes available, someone else will.  

There's some thought about a Pharos 2.  Don't hold your breath.

The Garrots, Doug and Barb, (usually) don't respond to e-mail about when things will be ready. Their feeling seems to be that if you can send email you can also check the website.

Orphan Espresso doesn't accept pre-orders.  At least not now.  Anything and everything having to do with OE is subject to change without notice.  You may have a better chance of knowing what's what by staying current at H-B rather than here, or even OE's website.  Or not.  

That's OE for you.  I love their quality, imagination, originality, independence, honesty, and even the quirky way they conduct their business.    

Rich
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Sat Mar 1, 2014, 10:27am

jowdawson Said:

The problem i can identify is the exposure time for the coffee to O2.
From grinding, till in powdered form and transferred to a portafilter.

Massive amount of oxidation expected

Posted March 1, 2014 link

well your obviously wrong as thats complete bs, Pharos actually grinds pretty fast. Only way what you said would be true is if it took North of 20 minutes to grind and dose lol, point where coffee starts going stale. Even my electric grinder, I grind into the container of the machine, pull it out and dose, no stale grinds lol
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > New OE Pharos...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.276615858078)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+