Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Easy to clean grinder for home use?
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Easy to clean...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
espressodemon

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Mon Mar 10, 2014, 12:18pm
Subject: Easy to clean grinder for home use?

I currently have a Capresso Infinity (I know this is not ideal).   While it serves its purpose, its a PITA to clean.   Grinds get stuck in the bottom and if I don't knock/brush them out after each use, they I will have old grinds next time I make espresso.   Is there a home grinder that is easy to clean/low maintenance or do all grinders get like this?   I don't have any local coffee shops that sell quality machines, so I have no way of doing hands-on research of the designs.  I am tempted to buy a manual hand grinder due to its simplicity (plus I only make a double shot a day) but the reviews/videos I have seen look like it seems like it takes forever to grind beans for espresso.

espressodemon: IMG_20140308_191449.jpg
(Click for larger image)

Gaggia Classic, Capresso Infinity
 View Profile Link to this post
moosepucky
moosepucky
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Grinder: Super Jolly - Forte BG -...
Vac Pot: Cona - Santos
Drip: Bodum - Chemex - Hario -...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828-B
Posted Mon Mar 10, 2014, 1:02pm
Subject: Re: Easy to clean grinder for home use?

I know this is not a suggestion for a new grinder you can purchase but have you tried using a vacuum cleaner (hose) on the grinder to clean it out?
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
espressonewb1

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Mini Vivaldi
Grinder: Nuova Simonelli Mdx
Drip: Technivorm Mocca Master
Posted Wed Mar 12, 2014, 9:29am

espressodemon Said:

I currently have a Capresso Infinity (I know this is not ideal).   While it serves its purpose, its a PITA to clean.   Grinds get stuck in the bottom and if I don't knock/brush them out after each use, they I will have old grinds next time I make espresso.   Is there a home grinder that is easy to clean/low maintenance or do all grinders get like this?   I don't have any local coffee shops that sell quality machines, so I have no way of doing hands-on research of the designs.  I am tempted to buy a manual hand grinder due to its simplicity (plus I only make a double shot a day) but the reviews/videos I have seen look like it seems like it takes forever to grind beans for espresso.

Posted March 10, 2014 link

I have an HG One. Nice grinder and it's manual. It doesn't take forever to grind beans for espresso. I guess it depends on your tolerance for hand grinding. Extremely easy to clean and almost no retention. Depends on your budget but I don't regret the purchase. If you ever decide to sell you'll get most of it back anyway. Same with the OE Pharos. Initial outlay is less ($250 + shipping v $970ish shipped)

The OE Pharos hand grinder while I've never used one does take a little coaxing to get the grinds out from what I've read but you may not find it a big deal.

You could also buy a mazzer major and mod it for single use. Plenty of examples to go around here. Probably can be had for $400-$500 + parts to make it single dose if you want to.

I'm sure others will chime in to narrow down on a list of suitable grinders. Keep a look out here on the buy/sell forum for used equipment.

Hope this helps.
espressodemon

Posted Wed Mar 12, 2014, 9:45am

espressonewb1 Said:

I have an HG One. Nice grinder and it's manual. It doesn't take forever to grind beans for espresso. I guess it depends on your tolerance for hand grinding. Extremely easy to clean and almost no retention. Depends on your budget but I don't regret the purchase. If you ever decide to sell you'll get most of it back anyway. Same with the OE Pharos. Initial outlay is less ($250 + shipping v $970ish shipped)

The OE Pharos hand grinder while I've never used one does take a little coaxing to get the grinds out from what I've read but you may not find it a big deal.

You could also buy a mazzer major and mod it for single use. Plenty of examples to go around here. Probably can be had for $400-$500 + parts to make it single dose if you want to.

I'm sure others will chime in to narrow down on a list of suitable grinders. Keep a look out here on the buy/sell forum for used equipment.

Hope this helps.

Posted March 12, 2014 link

Wow, that HG One looks nice.  I can see that it doesnt take much effort to grind given the huge handle/wheel.  The manual grinders Ive been looking at are small, $30-50 ones like the Hario Ceramic Coffee Mill Skerto.

boar_d_laze

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Wed Mar 12, 2014, 11:20am

espressodemon Said:

... plus I only make a double shot a day.

Posted March 10, 2014 link

Grinder quality is neither a function of how little nor how often you grind.  A bad grinder will grind coffee poorly, a good grinder will grind it well -- whether for one cup a day or twenty.  

Rich
espressodemon

Posted Wed Mar 12, 2014, 11:29am

boar_d_laze Said:

Grinder quality is neither a function of how little nor how often you grind.  A bad grinder will grind coffee poorly, a good grinder will grind it well -- whether for one cup a day or twenty.  

Rich

Posted March 12, 2014 link

I just want to make it clear that I do not need a commercial grade grinder.  True that quality = good grind, but there is a difference between a commercial vs consumer machine.   Commercial machines (of any kind) typically have a components that will take abuse of constant use.

russel
russel
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Conti Princess 2grp, GS/3...
Grinder: Super Caimanos x2, Forte BG,...
Drip: V60, Kalita Wave, Clever,...
Posted Wed Mar 12, 2014, 12:24pm

There are two big differences between commercial espresso grinders and consumer espresso grinders.  Commercial grinders usually have a much more precise and adjustable expresso grind range.  The other big difference is the durability of just about everything that's involved with the burrs.  The burr carriers are metal, the burr chamber is metal, the mechanical bits of the adjustment mechanism are usually metal.  You basically can't get a consumer grinder built this way, and both things a really important.  Precision and range are need to be able to control your extraction, and grinding beans is hard work that most plastics aren't up to doing for a long time.

The Compak K3, the Mazzer Mini, and probably the Macap M2 (which I've never used) are all well built grinders that come at a price tier above the higher end of consumer espresso grinders, $500 vs $300, but about the same as the Baratza Vario.

The funny thing is that often you can pick up a used entry level commercial espresso grinder like a RR45 or better yet a Mazzer Super Jolly or '90's Compak K6 for the same $300 you would spend on a new consumer espresso grinder, less if you're good at buying used things.  These 64mm flat burr espresso grinders are usually well built and new burrs are usually about $50.  I started a thread about this a couple of years ago: http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/grinders/552264
boar_d_laze

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Wed Mar 12, 2014, 2:51pm

An enthusiastic +1 to everything Russel said.

Adequate
  • Baratza Preciso: Residential build quality.  Lots of plastic.  Durability issues.  Neat, convenient.  Small conical burr set.  Around $300
  • LeLit PL53: Quasi commercial build quality.  Noisy.  Noisy.  Did I mention noisy? Mediocre doser.  Messy.  Small, conical burr set, but it's TreSpade (good thing).  Around $260.

Good
  • Baratza Vario: Residential build quality.  Lots of plastic.  Durability issues.  Neat, convenient.  Doses beautifully.  All around pleasure to use.  Very low grind retention.  Over achieving mid-size flat burr set (58mm).  Around $500  A lot of people say the Vario outperforms the rest of the 58mm group "in the cup," but I don't think so.  On the other hand, the Vario is such a pleasure to use....  But on the third hand, they slip and they break.
  • Numerous manufacturers' "commercial quality," 58mm flat burr grinders --  including Compak, Macap and Mazzer.  

Very Good  
  • Baratza Vario if you believe a lot of people.  I think they're great to own and use, but either haven't drunk enough koolaid, am missing something or -- possibly -- am right that they don't bring as much out of the beans as the 64s.  Comparing grinders isn't an exact science and I certainly haven't put in the homework with the Vario for my opinion to deserve tons of cred.  
  • Baratza Forte.  Baratza Vario W built to a higher standard.  Othewise, besides a few little things, alla time same same.  $800ish.
  • Mazzer Mini Electric (A or B) with SJ burrs.    
  • Another slew of various manufacturers' commercial quality grinders.  This time, 64 and 65mm flat burrs.  And this time, they really are "commercial quality."  That is, you actually find them in commercial settings where quality counts.  The Mazzer Super Jolly is the best known.  But the group includes representatives from almost every major manufacturer.  The one I like most is the Ceado E7.  Price for a new grinder of this quality is probably more than you want to spend.  The least expensive non-electronic in this class is the Quamar M80 at $450 (noisy, doser has retention issues, but a helluva lot stronger than the similarly priced Vario, and better "grind quality" IMO, to boot).  The Mazzer SJ is $680.  The Ceado E7 is $850 with a built-in timer.  I loves me some Ceado.  There's a big, used market for grinders in this quality level.  

Excellent
  • Orphan Espresso Pharos: Manual. Quirky.  A few, relatively minor ergonomic issues.  Superb grinder.  Unimaginably high value. Very low production makes it hard to buy.  $275.  
  • Other grinders you've made it very clear you don't want.

Rich
expy98

Posted Wed Mar 12, 2014, 4:00pm

OP joined CG 3 months ago, still within the upgraditis incubation period.  Unfor, there's no cure...
MerlinWerks

Posted Thu Mar 13, 2014, 6:54pm

How about an OE Lido 2? Seems to be getting good initial reviews. First batch is sold out, I believe the second is supposed to start shipping end of April/early May. Grind time is supposed to be not too painful when compared to something like a Skerton.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Easy to clean...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.361575126648)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+