Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
must order this weekend
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > must order this...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Danruth

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto III
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Electronic B
Posted Thu Mar 13, 2014, 6:52pm
Subject: must order this weekend

So I plan on ordering a new grinder, I was planning on getting the mini mazzer electronic but have been looking at the Compak K3 recently as I have read they are pretty similar in quality. Plus the $350 price difference makes the K3 look even better lol. any opinions on this?
 View Profile Link to this post
boar_d_laze

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Thu Mar 13, 2014, 7:17pm
Subject: Re: must order this weekend

$300 difference?  No, or at least I don't think so.  An internet search shows street prices running somethinng like this:  Compak K3 Elite, ~$575; Compak K3 Touch, ~475; Mazzer Mini, ~$550.  

Remember that if you're not going to single dose, you'll probably want to use a timer -- so add about $100 to the machine price.  

They're both good grinders.  I much prefer Compak's grind adjustment system to Mazzer's, otherwise there's not that much difference between the Elite and the Mini.  

They give up a lot in retention, ease of use, neatness and convenience compared to the Baratza Vario, but are much better built.  Vario fans say the Vario is much better in the cup, but I'm not so sure.  

Rich
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
dwRK

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Mar 13, 2014, 9:55pm

Curious why just these two?

Your budget range covers a few more
DavecUK

Posted Fri Mar 14, 2014, 3:43am

boar_d_laze Said:

They give up a lot in retention, ease of use, neatness and convenience compared to the Baratza Vario, but are much better built.  Vario fans say the Vario is much better in the cup, but I'm not so sure.  
Rich

Posted March 13, 2014 link

I've had quite few few grinders over the years, but my 7 year old Mazzer Mini E, has been bullet proof and can be modded for almost no grind retention. The steel burrs last for a very long time, in home use, you will get at least 10 years from them. It's one of the appliances that just works,  I never need to think about it and would highly recommend it. As for the the person I have quoted, I must agree that I and others did not find the Vario as good in the cup, or anywhere near as well built as the Mazzer. Just one look at the vario thread, will show you how good their customer service is.....in dealing with all those problems.

Just for interest sake a review I did about 4 years ago for a UK retailer

Click Here (www.bellabarista.co.uk)
sharky
sharky

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Compak K3 Touch
Posted Fri Mar 14, 2014, 5:40am

Danruth Said:

So I plan on ordering a new grinder, I was planning on getting the mini mazzer electronic but have been looking at the Compak K3 recently as I have read they are pretty similar in quality. Plus the $350 price difference makes the K3 look even better lol. any opinions on this?

Posted March 13, 2014 link

I have been using the Compak K3 Touch for over a year.  It is an excellent grinder, well made, looks great, and with almost no grind retention!  They have a newer model out now & it looks fantastic!
Danruth

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto III
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Electronic B
Posted Fri Mar 14, 2014, 8:05am

DavecUK Said:

I've had quite few few grinders over the years, but my 7 year old Mazzer Mini E, has been bullet proof and can be modded for almost no grind retention.

Posted March 14, 2014 link

what kind of mod has to be done for minimizing grind retention? is there a link with the directions somewhere. I think I am going to go with the Mazzer. I think it looks better and from what I have read I will most likely never have to upgrade in the future.
thanks
DavecUK

Posted Fri Mar 14, 2014, 9:51am

Danruth Said:

what kind of mod has to be done for minimizing grind retention? is there a link with the directions somewhere. I think I am going to go with the Mazzer. I think it looks better and from what I have read I will most likely never have to upgrade in the future.
thanks

Posted March 14, 2014 link

http://coffeetimex.wikidot.com/mazzer-mini-e-modifications

Well you should find the grinder lasts as long as your coffee drinking hobby.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > must order this...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.268520832062)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+