Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Gaggia MDF grinder or save up for something else?
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Gaggia MDF...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
espressodemon

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Thu Mar 20, 2014, 9:31pm
Subject: Gaggia MDF grinder or save up for something else?

I purchased a Gaggia Classic from WLL a couple weeks ago and I just realized they sell a combo deal with the MDF grinder after watching one of their YouTube videos. I checked the price of the combo and its only $112 more than what I paid for the Classic.  I'm thinking about calling them up to see if I can get that deal.  Is the MDF grinder worth buying or should I save up for another grinder?  If the MDF is a good grinder, I would rather not spend more money.  How messy does it get after grinding?  Are there a lot of residual grinds after use?  What is the cleanup procedure after use?

Gaggia Classic, Capresso Infinity
 View Profile Link to this post
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Thu Mar 20, 2014, 9:44pm
Subject: Re: Gaggia MDF grinder or save up for something else?

Not to restate all of the information in your first thread about Gaggia, but don't get the MDF.  It is not going to make you happy as an espresso grinder.  Reread your first Gaggia thread.

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machines/659963

If I read it correctly, you asked about the combo and MDF there and advise was, is, Baratza Preciso or Le'lit as least expensive and adequate, or hand grind.

Perhaps others will have better news for you.  Sorry if this sounds harsh.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
espressodemon

Posted Thu Mar 20, 2014, 9:59pm

Thanks D4F.  I feel like I'm going crazy, didn't remember I posted about the MDF and the fact about the combo weeks ago.  It must be all the research and different things I've been reading online the past month has clouded my head.

So, like others have warned, I am struggling with my current grinder.  It worked with the beans I've been using since buying the Classic but some new beans I bought last night are giving me trouble.  I'm looking at my grinder options again.

Whitcoatsyndrom
Whitcoatsyndrom
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Office Pulser
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Newco-OCS 12
Roaster: HG/BM
Posted Fri Mar 21, 2014, 7:28pm

There are often used Baratza Preciso grinders that surface on the buy/sell section of this forum.  Good deals can be had on good grinders!  I definitely echo what D4F said about the MDF and the minimum options for espresso capability.
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Posted Fri Mar 21, 2014, 8:09pm

Yeh your Infinity isn't near capable for espresso grinding so it will only frustrate, MDF is pretty useless as well. Really the only good entry options are a Preciso or I believe Le'Lit had two options under 300. Check Baratzas site, they list refurbs and every Thursday they update. You also have used options, be pretty hard to find a Super Jolley or something similar if your budget is tight though.
espressodemon

Posted Mon Apr 14, 2014, 5:13pm

I've been checking the Baratza site for weeks now and they finally had a Preciso refurb show up on their page today.  $250 after s/h.  I cant wait for it to come in!

view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Gaggia MDF...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.203539848328)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+