Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Mazzer or Vario for espresso--best quality?
The Coffee Project
Home coffee Roasting equipment, green beans, and supplies
www.coffeeproject.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Mazzer or Vario...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Bman

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Quickmill Anita
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly
Vac Pot: Nope, Bodum Press
Drip: Not any more
Roaster: I-Roast, Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Mar 21, 2014, 2:51am
Subject: Mazzer or Vario for espresso--best quality?

Hi all, I am looking to get a new espresso grinder, maybe.  I have a Super Jolly now, which is pretty good, though I have never had any other grinder before.  I have been researching the Baratza Vario, which does seem cool.  I have no experience with this.  My goal is to get the best grinder for espresso quality in the cup.  The size of the SJ is not an issue for me.  Will I see better quality in the Vario?  It looks so plastiky, and I am afraid that it will shatter if I drop it.  My inclinations are to stick with the Mazzer which is a tank and willable to my grandchildren, but I am intrigued by the Vario.

Any help from those with experience with this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
 View Profile Link to this post
moosepucky
moosepucky

Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Grinder: Super Jolly - Forte BG -...
Vac Pot: Cona - Santos
Drip: Bodum - Chemex - Hario -...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828-B
Posted Fri Mar 21, 2014, 4:41am
Subject: Re: Mazzer or Vario for espresso--best quality?

For a long time I had both a Vario-W and a Super Jolly manual doser.

I preferred the Vario-W over the SJ because the SJ made such a mess when I used it and the Vario-W never spilled a single grain of coffee on the counter as I weight dosed into the hopper, then poured the shot into the portafilter using a OE funnel to make it easier to "hit the hole" in the portafilter.

This preference went along for several months and I used both the SJ and Vario-W grinders equally, cleaning up the counter after each pull with the SJ, and no counter clean up necessary with the Vario-W.

Then I modified the SJ to be a time based doserless grinder.  Details of this switch over can be read here: HB post about my SJ doserless odyssey

Slowly the Vario-W got used less and less.  Then only for "test espresso blends"

Eventually I "tried" to switch the Vario-W over to steel burrs to make it a brew grinder.  This was not successful so I ended up with a Forte-BG in its place.

Now I only have 1 espresso grinder, the SJ, and 2 brew grinders.  Been very happy with this for about 6 months now and no interest in acquiring a second espresso grinder as I have a Hario mini to grind my test espresso blends.

So after reading all of the above drivel......

The Vario-W (and the Vario as they are the same basic underlying grinder) was a very capable espresso grinder for home use.

I could not "taste" any difference in the quality of the coffee "in the cup" from either grinder (Mazzer or Baratza).

Moving to a Vario (or Vario-W), in my estimation anyway, would be moving sideways.  No improvement other than you would have 2 electric espresso grinders.

Photo of my previous grinder line up should give you an idea of size difference between SJ and Vario.  SJ in the pic has the short mini hopper so keep this in mind if you have the standard (larger) hopper

moosepucky: 10-8-2013_grinders.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
uscfroadie
uscfroadie

Espresso: GS/3 Strada MP; owned BDB,...
Grinder: K30 Vario, Zass and PeDe...
Vac Pot: Nope
Drip: Nope
Roaster: owned Behmor
Posted Fri Mar 21, 2014, 4:44am

I've owned both.  If you are solely basing your decision on quality in the cup, stick with the SJ, as the Vario can only equal it in the cup.  The benefits of the Vario come from ease of use, much lower grinds retention, smaller, etc.
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Fri Mar 21, 2014, 5:04am

Having used both side by side, the Vario is completely equal to the SJ for taste in cup, the Vario will outperform it's "class" of grinders like the k3/m4/Mini and go toe to tow with the SJ and K6 etc, I'm not sure how Baratza does that with a 54mm flat burr set but I could tell a difference with it over a Mini. Since you already own the SJ stick with that. What the Vario offers if bought new is incredible performance for the price and ease of use and footprint is fairly small, almost no clumping, no/tiny amount of retention making it great for single dosing. Like above it'd be a move sideways, same performance just in a difference package. Yeh their plastic but it's a sturdy plastic, but far from the tank like metal build of the SJ and similar grinders.
joco

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Mar 21, 2014, 8:37am

Unlike the rest of the responders here.  I wasn't at all happy with my Vario.  The Vario uses a plastic carrier that tends to flex while grinding, thus slight changes to grind setting didn't make any difference.  And then I would wind up going to fine or too coarse to get everything dialed-in.  Also keep in mind that Baratza makes frequent updates (at least that what various retailers told me) to the internals (like the burr carrier) and some Vario's perform better than others.

As someone that has gone from Vario to SJ to SJE and back to the SJ. Stick with the Super Jolly... its a great mess.  But if you want to eliminate the Mazzer mess (and get better shots) it seems you will have to go up in price.  Which is the mission Im on right now.
DavecUK

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Mar 21, 2014, 9:22am

joco Said:

Unlike the rest of the responders here.  I wasn't at all happy with my Vario.  The Vario uses a plastic carrier that tends to flex while grinding, thus slight changes to grind setting didn't make any difference.  And then I would wind up going to fine or too coarse to get everything dialed-in.  Also keep in mind that Baratza makes frequent updates (at least that what various retailers told me) to the internals (like the burr carrier) and some Vario's perform better than others.

As someone that has gone from Vario to SJ to SJE and back to the SJ. Stick with the Super Jolly... its a great mess.  But if you want to eliminate the Mazzer mess (and get better shots) it seems you will have to go up in price.  Which is the mission Im on right now.

Posted March 21, 2014 link

I totally agree.

Also in the Vario I tested,  I did not find cup quality was the equal of the Mazzer when they were compared. Stick with the Mazzer and if your looking for something better, I don't think the Vario is it.
SpaceTime

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: 83 & 89 Cremina, 85 Coffex
Grinder: HG One, Pharos, LIDO
Drip: Freiling 33 & 44oz FP,...
Posted Fri Mar 21, 2014, 9:27am

moosepucky Said:

Photo of my previous grinder line up should give you an idea of size difference between SJ and Vario.  SJ in the pic has the short mini hopper so keep this in mind if you have the standard (larger) hopper

Mick - OT - who makes those stainless cabinets you have underneath you grinders - I saw them on a website a couple weeks back but did not bookmark....

Sorry OP.
uscfroadie
uscfroadie

Espresso: GS/3 Strada MP; owned BDB,...
Grinder: K30 Vario, Zass and PeDe...
Vac Pot: Nope
Drip: Nope
Roaster: owned Behmor
Posted Fri Mar 21, 2014, 9:51am

SpaceTime Said:

Mick - OT - who makes those stainless cabinets you have underneath you grinders - I saw them on a website a couple weeks back but did not bookmark....

Sorry OP.

Tim,

Pasquini.  Here's a link to the newer version.  Many others on Jim's site.
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Fri Mar 21, 2014, 9:52am

If you want something noticeably better, have to go to the Titan Class, if you like single dosing and don't mind hand grinding, the HG-One is killer.
takeshi
takeshi

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Fri Mar 21, 2014, 10:56am

Bman Said:

My goal is to get the best grinder for espresso quality in the cup.

+1 to looking at titans or the HG One.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Mazzer or Vario...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.303074836731)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+